“Lovely and welcoming!”

Sugar Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Attention to details is noticeable. We stayed in the Blue Room which was charming and then in the Forest View room which is spacious and modern. Don't miss the dinner served in a quiet, romantic dining room.

Stayed: August 2014
Steve A, Manager at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you. You are so right. It’s all about the details.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I recently spent a night at the Sugar Hill Inn. We had picked it based on its excellent ratings on Trip Advisor. From their website we selected the Garden Cottage which was beautiful and decorated and furnished in a very contemporary and comfortable way. When we checked in, both Karen and Steve were at the front desk and instantly make us feel welcome. Karen showed us around the Inn and then to our room, which was a nice touch. We enjoyed sitting on the porch of our cottage and sipping a glass of wine while taking in the beautiful scenery. Fortunately we had made a dinner reservation in their restaurant. Our server, Noah, was a treat and made the meal most enjoyable. The food, which was a prix fixe four course meal, was nothing short of outstanding. We both felt it was one of, if not the best meal we've had.
Overall, the only bad part of our experience was that our travel plans necessitated us leaving the next morning. We would have happily stayed longer and hope to be able to return.
We wish Steve and Karen continued success with this Inn. We can't imagine it not being successful under their direction, and would highly recommend it.
Michael, Kingston, Ontario

Room Tip: Thoroughly enjoyed the Garden Cottage.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Steve A, Manager at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you Michael. There is nothing better than sitting on the porch, sipping a glass of wine, while taking in the beautiful scenery followed by the perfect dinner. We love sharing the good life with our guests.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in August. From the first contact with the inn owners, I was impressed. Karen emailed me a few days before the stay to confirm everything and she was very prompt and helpful in answering any questions. Upon arriving Lexi was friendly and welcoming as she showed us the inn. We stayed in the Garden Cottage which was very modern and beautiful. We had a porch with chairs that we could sit out and relax outside. Our room was perfect from the comfortable bed, to the shower and jaccuzi tub, to the hot air fan when you step out of the shower! There was no tv in our room, which we loved! It gave my husband and I time to reconnect and relax. There was a nice bose radio and CD's for us to listen to along with some board games. Every day there were two bottles of water and chocolate, complimentary to the room with espresso! We met Steve at the Tavern our first night and he was very nice. Friendly and outgoing. We ate in the Tavern one night, the dining room and enjoyed the breakfast. The food was AMAZING. My husband and I didn't find one thing we didn't enjoy eating there the whole time. Well, the dessert we picked was a bit rich for our liking, but that was just our feeling. Even the small bites around 4:00 each day were amzing. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed the inn and the food. The pictures on the website are accurate. There is a nice pool, not heated but if you go in the summer it is refreshing. There are no kids allowed here which was perfect for us. We also enjoyed hot stone massages with the massage therepist. They were also very good. I can't say one bad thing about this inn. It is the best place we have stayed so far in the White Mountians area. We will be going back again next year and I highly reccommend it to anyone looking for some quiet time to get away and enjoy great food.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Wow, this is a must read for anyone considering a stay at the Sugar Hill Inn. You have so perfectly described the Sugar Hill experience. Thank you.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in the Richardson suite, a cozy room, but the pipes from the upstairs bathroom seemed to be in the wall at the head of our bed. The people above us were particularly active on the bathroom front late at night and early in the morning, not conducive to sleep.The food was delicious at night, but service a bit disorganized in the morning. On our morning of departure the dining room was not ready at the advertised 7 am and on the other, one almost had to trip the waitress to get a second cup of coffee
The pros: good cuisine; lovely view from our room; nice library room; pretty grounds..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and going the extra mile to post your review. I understand at first it was posted to the wrong property and you needed to retype it.

Let me address each of your issues. First breakfast starts at 8:00 am not 7:00am. Breakfast hours were explained on your check in tour. That information is also available in each guest room. Breakfast is a leisurely, multi course, white tablecloth affair.

The Richardson Suite is the only room on the first floor with another room above. I have looked at all of our comment cards and other reviews and noise has not been an issue for this room. However, I have read your other reviews and it does seem that you have a heightened sensitivity to sound. I think that you would have been very happy in the Peckett Suite. It has all the same great features as Richardson but there are no rooms above or below.

As innkeepers we are here to make your stay perfect. If we had known of your issue after your first night we would have been happy to offer you another room for the remainder of your stay.

I relate to you about coffee. Sometimes when you have finished the last sip of coffee in the morning, the 60 seconds it takes to get a refill might seem like eternity. Actually, at the Sugar Hill Inn, we are somewhat fanatical about coffee. All of our guest rooms have 2 kinds of coffee makers. Early morning coffee is available in the Tavern before breakfast or anytime by request. Our dining room serves only organic and fair trade coffee. If you are visiting on a Friday that coffee was ordered on Tuesday, roasted on Wednesday and delivered on Thursday. However since reading your review we have again stressed with our servers the importance of being on the look out for empty cups.

The Sugar Hill Inn is not for everyone. While I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, it does seem that the details that absolutely delight our regulars’ went either unnoticed or were not important to you

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and came here for the second half of our trip. 3 nights in the peckett room were well worth it! Most comfortable bed, espresso and coffee maker in our room. Amazing tub. The shower was a Tad dissipointing compared to the rest of the touches the room held, as it seemed to be a one person and VERY SMALL. We had the pleasure of having couches for lounging and watching some of our favorite movies. We had a private deck and much privacy in this room.
We surly enjoyed our stay here.
Location is nice, in town, but on a back road for quite privacy.
I would reccomend this to any couples looking to get Away and have a great CENTRAL location to hiking, camping, beaches, but also restaurants and dining.

• Stayed: July 2014
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you so much for spending your honeymoon with us. The two love seats, whirlpool tub for two and private deck makes the Peckett Suite an absolute delight. On your next trip, if you want a shower for two stay in Dream. It is not only huge but has 9 shower heads. Also for maximum enjoyment of the Sugar Hill Inn experience we recommend dining at least one night

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My 12 yr old son & I loved every minute of our stay so much that we added on an extra night! The Nickerson suite is a gem, Chef Val's creations delicious, and the nicest inn keepers we know keep their little gem in sweet Franconia in tip top shape! From the music, fresh flowers from the garden, home baked cookies, the tranquil pool, a game of chess over a Cosmo or glass of wine from Steve's bar why else wouldn't you stay at Sugar Hill Inn? We absolutely think it's superb!!! We will return! The Fitz-Gelston family

• Stayed: June 2014
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

This family has been staying with us for years so we made an exception to our new 14 and older policy. When guests come back year after year it is like visiting with old friends.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My partner and I booked a room at Sugar Hill the old fashioned way. We looked up the phone number in the New England-Lonely Planet Guide and called the Inn. Lonely Planet highly recommended Sugar Hill Inn so we gave it a go. Unfortunately, we weren't told that the tavern and restaurant were closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and were very disappointed. I called the Inn keepers within 20 minutes of "checking in" and informed them we would not be staying overnight and why. I was told that it was clearly detailed on their website about the Tuesday and Wednesday closure and that it was my problem that I hadn't looked the Inn up on-line, or asked about dining options when I called to book the hotel. (We had been in rural Maine without internet service). I was treated to defensive scolding on the phone while I tried to soothe the inn keeper and express what a lovely place she has but that it didn't meet our needs. The full cost of our non-stay was placed on my credit card: $198.00USD and I was treated without any consideration or shared responsibility of the misunderstanding. I would have been happy if any kind of a gesture had been made to reimburse us for part of our fee or an offer of a gift certificate off a future stay but instead I was met with rudeness over the phone and an email telling me that I didn't stay at the Inn because of the weather (not the tavern/restaurant reason which I identified) which the innkeepers couldn't be held responsible for. The weather, NH, the Inn are not the reasons for this review, this is about inhospitable Innkeepers. I was left feeling embarrassed after the exchanged communication and not as if an honest mistake or misunderstanding occurred.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank justjaia

This is a malicious review written with the goal of causing financial harm and destroying the Sugar Hill Inn’s nearly perfect record on TripAdvisor. We are being bullied by a guest that is clearly in the wrong. We have only two choices; Pay the ransom or be slandered. Unfortunately TripAdvisor is allowing a few unprincipled individuals to corrupt the system.

They booked a day ahead over the phone. They were told that the Inn has a 14 day cancellation policy and therefore the one night stay would be non-cancelable and charged now to their credit card.

Any adult knows that after checking into a hotel, getting refreshed and using the bathroom one can’t just checkout on a whim and expect a refund. Once a guest uses the bathroom the room is not rent-able until the next day when it is cleaned again by housekeeping. It cost money to clean a room.

Whether it was because our restaurant is closed on Tuesdays, the rainy weather or they were in a rush to visit another destination is immaterial. As you can see from the review the room was not an issue. In truth the restaurant was also not the issue. There are over 20 restaurants in the area and a couple less than a minute down the road. If they were serious about dining at the Sugar Hill Inn they would have made a reservation. They did not arrive until after 7pm, so even if the restaurant was open the expectation that a table would be available is unreasonable.

In spite of their claim that they did not have internet they walked in with the email confirmation that we had sent them. The confirmation clearly states our cancellation policy, that the restaurant is not open on Tuesdays and dinner reservations are necessary.

We were never rude and did nothing to embarrass the women. If she was embarrassed it was due to her own unreasonable behavior and her partner’s behavior. Our receptionist found the man’s behavior very threatening. They were lucky that she did not call the police.

It is unreasonable to agree to a cancellation policy and then complain about it. Deposits are necessary to protect us from frivolous reservations.

Over the years guests have had illness in the family or other serious issues and we have always understood. However, here we were dealing with a frivolous whim.

It is unfortunate as innkeepers that we can’t enforce a very reasonable policy without the risk of having our TripAdvisor standing damaged. I am sure that some other innkeepers would have paid the ransom just to protect their reputation. Maybe next time we should just pay up but that feels so wrong.

TripAdvisor is a wonderful tool. I use it all the time. People like this that use the system for personal gain should be banned from the site.

This review clearly violates TripAdvisor’s rules about blackmail and we have requested that it be removed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sugar Hill
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#1 of 8 in Bethlehem

Been to Sugar Hill Inn? Share your experiences!