“Wonderful Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugar Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sugar Hill
Sugar Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
White Plains, NY
“Wonderful Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We visited Sugar hill Inn last week. It is an historic original house (where we stayed) with some added cottages, cozy, beautifully decorated, excellent service, wonderful meals with local ingredients graciously presented, newish pool with lots of chairs and towels available, updated bathrooms and best of all, fine bed and bath linens, fluffy soft towels. Karen and Steve are gracious hosts in a gorgeous scenic part of the country.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the lower priced rooms in the main house and it was fine. I did not see any othe...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you for staying with us. It is important for us to support our local farmers and provide an authentic New Hampshire experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have to credit my husband for finding this inn. It far exceeded our expectations. We were celebrating our 10 year annivesary and our expectations for an amazing vacation were high.

As soon as we arrived, we immediately felt welcomed and at home by Lexi. She gave us a tour of the main building and showed us to our room in the Dream Cottage. It truly is a dream. The main room of the cottage is beautifully decorated. IThas a tall cathedral wood beamed ceiling. There is a large luxurious bed with plenty of pillows and warm blankets. There is a gas fireplace with a large roomy couch in front of it. There is also a flat screen tv with a DVD player. You can borrow dvds from the main building. I also enjoyed the bose CD player near the bed. There was a collection of CDs already in the room. As soon as we arrived, I put in the Diana Krall CD and it immediately set the mood. There is a wet bar with a refrigerator and microwave and small wooden table nearby.

There is a large window that opens up into the bathroom. The bathroom is amazing with a 2 person jacuzzi tub, large 2 person walk-in shower, and sauna. They have candles and matches next to the tub to help set the mood as well. My husband called the shower a car wash because it had so many sprayers. It was wonderful to use and we are thinking about installing one at home. The plush robes and slippers were a nice touch. There are plenty of towels and also plenty of drawer space to place your belongings in the bathroom.

There is an attention to luxurious details in everything in dream cottage. From the high quality vanity to the unique pieces in the main room like the bedside lamps - one with a lampshade with a map and the other with a base made of circular slices of tree trunk. I also remember reading about the artwork on the innkeepers blog. I think the life from the authentic art pieces really does add something to the room. It all was so beautiful.

As beautiful and luxurious as it is, it still felt very much like a home away from home. We made a point to stay as long as we could in the Dream Cottage during our 2 day stay and made sure to use all of the amenities. We are already planning our return.

The food at the inn is amazing. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. We enjoyed the use of local and fresh ingredients. I especially like the walnut maple scones with honey/maple butter and the scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese from a local farm. It is served from 8-9 everyday. The service is wonderful.

We had dinner on our second night there and it was by far the best dinner we have ever had. It was truly a gourmet dinner. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. I did not feel rushed. It seems as though they space their reservations so that no one is on the same course. They also space out their servers so your server is serving you and then another table that is not directly next to you. We received personal attention from our server Noah and he explained every dish to us beautifully. This really added to our experience. I tried so many new and delicious things that night that I felt adventurous enough to try something totally foreign to me for dessert. I had the feeling that anything the chef made would be delicious no matter what it was. He did not disappoint. The panna cotta was wonderful. I even enjoyed the beet gelato that my husband had with his dessert.

We purchased the sightseeing package to see cannon mountain and the flume. These were wonderful outdoor experiences and I highly recommend them. The dinner was included with this package and unlike the previous poster, I felt that it was worth the price we paid and maybe we got a deal in the package because it was so wonderful. The package also included stoneware mugs with sugar hill inn on them. Such a nice souvenir to remind us our time there.

When we left, Karen sent us home with fresh chocolate chip cookies for the ride home. It was such a sweet touch. I think the innkeepers have done a wonderful job with this inn and I have already recommended it to friends we visited in Boston the next day. I am sure they will be up soon for a visit. Thank you to Karen and Steve for making our 10 year anniversary celebration so memorable.

I can only imagine that if it is was this wonderful in the off season, that it would be truly wonderful during ski season.

Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you. Your review is a must read for anyone planning a special celebration.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Charming, pristine, elegant, and interesting inn. Beautiful flowers and landscaping. Rather remote location, so best for a one-night stay unless you have hiking or skiing planned in the area. Everyone was friendly, but not intrusive; informative, but not overbearing. In other words, just the right balance of conversation and privacy (for us, anyway.) Our room (the Moses Aldrich) was extremely comfortable and quiet. Very comfy bed and lovely bathroom. Bottled water and coffee in the room were appreciated as were the two nice arm chairs.

We thought the room was an excellent value, but we had added the four-course dinner package, (beautiful dining room!) and didn't think the food quite lived up to our expectations. It was good, but not as stellar as the high price might suggest. Also, two hours over dinner for weary travelers can be a bit too long. We wished we would have simply had a burger in the bar. Breakfast was very good and served in the same lovely main dining room with white cloth-covered tables.

We would not hesitate to highly recommend this lovely inn, but with the comments noted above.

Room Tip: The Moses Aldrich was lovely, met all our needs, and was roomier than expected. While it's on th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
2 Thank DowntownDuo
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
I totally understand. Our four course dinner is an event. Many say it is the highlight of their stay. However, if you are dead tired and want just a fast meal before going to bed it’s not for you. For those not in the mood for fine dining our tavern has fantastic burgers and pasta. The Tavern menu is available Thursday – Monday in summer and fall and just weekends in ski season. The Tavern menu is only for inn guests.
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Attention to details is noticeable. We stayed in the Blue Room which was charming and then in the Forest View room which is spacious and modern. Don't miss the dinner served in a quiet, romantic dining room.

Stayed August 2014
Steve A, Manager at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you. You are so right. It’s all about the details.
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I recently spent a night at the Sugar Hill Inn. We had picked it based on its excellent ratings on Trip Advisor. From their website we selected the Garden Cottage which was beautiful and decorated and furnished in a very contemporary and comfortable way. When we checked in, both Karen and Steve were at the front desk and instantly make us feel welcome. Karen showed us around the Inn and then to our room, which was a nice touch. We enjoyed sitting on the porch of our cottage and sipping a glass of wine while taking in the beautiful scenery. Fortunately we had made a dinner reservation in their restaurant. Our server, Noah, was a treat and made the meal most enjoyable. The food, which was a prix fixe four course meal, was nothing short of outstanding. We both felt it was one of, if not the best meal we've had.
Overall, the only bad part of our experience was that our travel plans necessitated us leaving the next morning. We would have happily stayed longer and hope to be able to return.
We wish Steve and Karen continued success with this Inn. We can't imagine it not being successful under their direction, and would highly recommend it.
Michael, Kingston, Ontario

Room Tip: Thoroughly enjoyed the Garden Cottage.
Steve A, Manager at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you Michael. There is nothing better than sitting on the porch, sipping a glass of wine, while taking in the beautiful scenery followed by the perfect dinner. We love sharing the good life with our guests.
Salem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in August. From the first contact with the inn owners, I was impressed. Karen emailed me a few days before the stay to confirm everything and she was very prompt and helpful in answering any questions. Upon arriving Lexi was friendly and welcoming as she showed us the inn. We stayed in the Garden Cottage which was very modern and beautiful. We had a porch with chairs that we could sit out and relax outside. Our room was perfect from the comfortable bed, to the shower and jaccuzi tub, to the hot air fan when you step out of the shower! There was no tv in our room, which we loved! It gave my husband and I time to reconnect and relax. There was a nice bose radio and CD's for us to listen to along with some board games. Every day there were two bottles of water and chocolate, complimentary to the room with espresso! We met Steve at the Tavern our first night and he was very nice. Friendly and outgoing. We ate in the Tavern one night, the dining room and enjoyed the breakfast. The food was AMAZING. My husband and I didn't find one thing we didn't enjoy eating there the whole time. Well, the dessert we picked was a bit rich for our liking, but that was just our feeling. Even the small bites around 4:00 each day were amzing. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed the inn and the food. The pictures on the website are accurate. There is a nice pool, not heated but if you go in the summer it is refreshing. There are no kids allowed here which was perfect for us. We also enjoyed hot stone massages with the massage therepist. They were also very good. I can't say one bad thing about this inn. It is the best place we have stayed so far in the White Mountians area. We will be going back again next year and I highly reccommend it to anyone looking for some quiet time to get away and enjoy great food.

Location
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Wow, this is a must read for anyone considering a stay at the Sugar Hill Inn. You have so perfectly described the Sugar Hill experience. Thank you.
Owl's Head, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in the Richardson suite, a cozy room, but the pipes from the upstairs bathroom seemed to be in the wall at the head of our bed. The people above us were particularly active on the bathroom front late at night and early in the morning, not conducive to sleep.The food was delicious at night, but service a bit disorganized in the morning. On our morning of departure the dining room was not ready at the advertised 7 am and on the other, one almost had to trip the waitress to get a second cup of coffee
The pros: good cuisine; lovely view from our room; nice library room; pretty grounds..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and going the extra mile to post your review. I understand at first it was posted to the wrong property and you needed to retype it.

Let me address each of your issues. First breakfast starts at 8:00 am not 7:00am. Breakfast hours were explained on your check in tour. That information is also available in each guest room. Breakfast is a leisurely, multi course, white tablecloth affair.

The Richardson Suite is the only room on the first floor with another room above. I have looked at all of our comment cards and other reviews and noise has not been an issue for this room. However, I have read your other reviews and it does seem that you have a heightened sensitivity to sound. I think that you would have been very happy in the Peckett Suite. It has all the same great features as Richardson but there are no rooms above or below.

As innkeepers we are here to make your stay perfect. If we had known of your issue after your first night we would have been happy to offer you another room for the remainder of your stay.

I relate to you about coffee. Sometimes when you have finished the last sip of coffee in the morning, the 60 seconds it takes to get a refill might seem like eternity. Actually, at the Sugar Hill Inn, we are somewhat fanatical about coffee. All of our guest rooms have 2 kinds of coffee makers. Early morning coffee is available in the Tavern before breakfast or anytime by request. Our dining room serves only organic and fair trade coffee. If you are visiting on a Friday that coffee was ordered on Tuesday, roasted on Wednesday and delivered on Thursday. However since reading your review we have again stressed with our servers the importance of being on the look out for empty cups.

The Sugar Hill Inn is not for everyone. While I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, it does seem that the details that absolutely delight our regulars’ went either unnoticed or were not important to you
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sugar Hill
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,233 reviews

Been to Sugar Hill Inn? Share your experiences!