“Outstanding!”
Review of Sugar Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sugar Hill
Sugar Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Sugar Hill B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
RI
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This was our third trip to Sugar Hill Inn and it was as good as we remembered. We love the Wildflower Cottage and always feel so recharged after a stay here. I enjoy sitting by the pool, listening to the waterfall and taking in the scenery. Dinner and breakfast are fantastic. We love the leisurely dining and our waiter Noah had many great suggestions. Karen and Steve are available and always asking if there is anything they can do for you. Steve is at the bar in the evening and he makes the best Bloody Marys and Manhattans. There are many small touches that just make this place so warm and welcoming.

Room Tip: The cottages are private and have a porch that is perfect for reading or relaxing.
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
We have a very high proportion of repeat guests. Thank you for coming back year after year. For those who like their Bloody Marys’ spicy I add freshly grated horseradish.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We just returned from a few days stay for part 2 our honeymoon and it was perfect! We spent a couple of nights in the Moses Aldrich room in the main inn and had planned to check out but decided to stay another night. We moved to the Garden Cottage room for our last night. Sugar Hill Inn is impeccable! The owners have gone above and beyond to create a 5 star atmosphere in a beautiful historical setting. The property is beautiful and tranquil. We especially loved the sound of the waterfall in the pool while sitting on the porch of the cottage. We also loved having both a coffee maker and Nespresso maker in our room. We spent our last day just relaxing in our cottage. There were games and magazines available and we enjoyed the afternoon nibbles. The breakfast each morning was fabulous! We fully intend to stay here again for a future anniversary! If you are looking for a romantic getaway look no further. This is it!

Room Tip: The Moses Aldrich room has a television and is decorated in sleek, modern decor. It is at the end o...
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
This summer we have had more honeymoons then any year so far. We are looking forward to celebrating your first anniversary with us.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My husband brought me here in may of 2012 to propose to me. The location is remote quiet and romantic. It is not far to travel to the "northern New Hampshire attractions" Mt Washington ect. The room we had was quiet and had a hot tub and sitting area.It had a nice view of the well maintained grounds and pool. The bar in the inn was well stocked for a small place, the owner is great ! He bartended and didn't rush us at all.The dinner was very good. The only thing I could say (if I was a new York times food critic) was the duck breast he had was a tad tough but still superb. The chef won his dearona award for a reason, the food is top notch. We enjoy taking our time when eating at a restaurant so we didnt think it was long, it is after all a multi course French nevou style meal. Its not Ruby Tuesdays. Food again superb. The breakfast to this day I can close my eyes and taste the cheddar and bacon omelet I had. The rooms linens were cozy and comfy and the place is clean and neat as a pin !!! The furnishings are cozy but elegant without being over done or frilly as many B&B do. All the bathrooms are updated and modern the shower was HOT ! We stayed at a slow time in the week so the doors to the other rooms were kept open and we really got to peak at them all ! (in the main house anyway) The owners had plenty of suggestions on were to go what to do in the area so there was many things to do unlike what some travelers reviewed. This place is perfect for couples who want a getaway that makes you feel pampered and special without the snobby stuffiness. The owners are wonderful the place is beautiful the rooms are gorgeous and the food is delicious. Perfect all the way !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you. We could not have said it better. “This place is perfect for couples who want a getaway that makes you feel pampered and special without the snobby stuffiness.”
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Spent 4 nights in this outstanding inn with beautiful grounds and very spacious, well decorated, and comfortable rooms. (We stayed in the garden cottage room that was tastefully furnished in a contemporary style contrary to many inns whose rooms a little too "frou frou" for our taste) After a day of hiking, it was wonderful to return to sweet and savory 4 o' clock snacks (It would have been nice to have iced tea to accompany the available hot tea, but since days were relatively cool, it was no big deal.) and then kick back and relax at the lovely pool. Unlike other inns, you had a choice of three entrees for breakfasts and choices were varied each day. All were delicious! My wife particularly enjoyed the croissant french toast and I enjoyed the eggs and cheese made with fresh local products. Finally, the innkeepers were friendly and helpful, particularly when I misplaced my room key about 70 miles away and was not planning to return until midnight.

Room Tip: We loved the contemporary Garden Room Cottage. Set in the back of the complex in a duplex cottage, i...
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
The Garden Cottage room has become one of our most popular rooms. It was designed by my wife Karen.
White Plains, NY
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We visited Sugar hill Inn last week. It is an historic original house (where we stayed) with some added cottages, cozy, beautifully decorated, excellent service, wonderful meals with local ingredients graciously presented, newish pool with lots of chairs and towels available, updated bathrooms and best of all, fine bed and bath linens, fluffy soft towels. Karen and Steve are gracious hosts in a gorgeous scenic part of the country.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the lower priced rooms in the main house and it was fine. I did not see any othe...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you for staying with us. It is important for us to support our local farmers and provide an authentic New Hampshire experience.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have to credit my husband for finding this inn. It far exceeded our expectations. We were celebrating our 10 year annivesary and our expectations for an amazing vacation were high.

As soon as we arrived, we immediately felt welcomed and at home by Lexi. She gave us a tour of the main building and showed us to our room in the Dream Cottage. It truly is a dream. The main room of the cottage is beautifully decorated. IThas a tall cathedral wood beamed ceiling. There is a large luxurious bed with plenty of pillows and warm blankets. There is a gas fireplace with a large roomy couch in front of it. There is also a flat screen tv with a DVD player. You can borrow dvds from the main building. I also enjoyed the bose CD player near the bed. There was a collection of CDs already in the room. As soon as we arrived, I put in the Diana Krall CD and it immediately set the mood. There is a wet bar with a refrigerator and microwave and small wooden table nearby.

There is a large window that opens up into the bathroom. The bathroom is amazing with a 2 person jacuzzi tub, large 2 person walk-in shower, and sauna. They have candles and matches next to the tub to help set the mood as well. My husband called the shower a car wash because it had so many sprayers. It was wonderful to use and we are thinking about installing one at home. The plush robes and slippers were a nice touch. There are plenty of towels and also plenty of drawer space to place your belongings in the bathroom.

There is an attention to luxurious details in everything in dream cottage. From the high quality vanity to the unique pieces in the main room like the bedside lamps - one with a lampshade with a map and the other with a base made of circular slices of tree trunk. I also remember reading about the artwork on the innkeepers blog. I think the life from the authentic art pieces really does add something to the room. It all was so beautiful.

As beautiful and luxurious as it is, it still felt very much like a home away from home. We made a point to stay as long as we could in the Dream Cottage during our 2 day stay and made sure to use all of the amenities. We are already planning our return.

The food at the inn is amazing. The breakfast in the morning was delicious. We enjoyed the use of local and fresh ingredients. I especially like the walnut maple scones with honey/maple butter and the scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese from a local farm. It is served from 8-9 everyday. The service is wonderful.

We had dinner on our second night there and it was by far the best dinner we have ever had. It was truly a gourmet dinner. The atmosphere was quiet and relaxing. I did not feel rushed. It seems as though they space their reservations so that no one is on the same course. They also space out their servers so your server is serving you and then another table that is not directly next to you. We received personal attention from our server Noah and he explained every dish to us beautifully. This really added to our experience. I tried so many new and delicious things that night that I felt adventurous enough to try something totally foreign to me for dessert. I had the feeling that anything the chef made would be delicious no matter what it was. He did not disappoint. The panna cotta was wonderful. I even enjoyed the beet gelato that my husband had with his dessert.

We purchased the sightseeing package to see cannon mountain and the flume. These were wonderful outdoor experiences and I highly recommend them. The dinner was included with this package and unlike the previous poster, I felt that it was worth the price we paid and maybe we got a deal in the package because it was so wonderful. The package also included stoneware mugs with sugar hill inn on them. Such a nice souvenir to remind us our time there.

When we left, Karen sent us home with fresh chocolate chip cookies for the ride home. It was such a sweet touch. I think the innkeepers have done a wonderful job with this inn and I have already recommended it to friends we visited in Boston the next day. I am sure they will be up soon for a visit. Thank you to Karen and Steve for making our 10 year anniversary celebration so memorable.

I can only imagine that if it is was this wonderful in the off season, that it would be truly wonderful during ski season.

Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you. Your review is a must read for anyone planning a special celebration.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Charming, pristine, elegant, and interesting inn. Beautiful flowers and landscaping. Rather remote location, so best for a one-night stay unless you have hiking or skiing planned in the area. Everyone was friendly, but not intrusive; informative, but not overbearing. In other words, just the right balance of conversation and privacy (for us, anyway.) Our room (the Moses Aldrich) was extremely comfortable and quiet. Very comfy bed and lovely bathroom. Bottled water and coffee in the room were appreciated as were the two nice arm chairs.

We thought the room was an excellent value, but we had added the four-course dinner package, (beautiful dining room!) and didn't think the food quite lived up to our expectations. It was good, but not as stellar as the high price might suggest. Also, two hours over dinner for weary travelers can be a bit too long. We wished we would have simply had a burger in the bar. Breakfast was very good and served in the same lovely main dining room with white cloth-covered tables.

We would not hesitate to highly recommend this lovely inn, but with the comments noted above.

Room Tip: The Moses Aldrich was lovely, met all our needs, and was roomier than expected. While it's on th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DowntownDuo
Steve A, Owner at Sugar Hill Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
I totally understand. Our four course dinner is an event. Many say it is the highlight of their stay. However, if you are dead tired and want just a fast meal before going to bed it’s not for you. For those not in the mood for fine dining our tavern has fantastic burgers and pasta. The Tavern menu is available Thursday – Monday in summer and fall and just weekends in ski season. The Tavern menu is only for inn guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sugar Hill
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,362 reviews

Been to Sugar Hill Inn? Share your experiences!