“Sparkling”

and 1 more site!
Dexter's Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Sunapee B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I've stayed at chain hotels for decades and was delighted by Dexter's. My room and bathroom was spotless. I booked their smallest room in the main house which had a full size tub in the private bathroom. I arrived late. There were two groups in the den and a few children (about 16 people). I went to bed by 9pm, and never heard a sound. I'd told them I had to leave before 7am, and they made sure breakfast was available for me (thanks!).
It's a beautiful inn, 2.9 miles from Mt. Sunapee Ski Resort, with a gorgeous view. They also have a ski room and large game room. The family couldn't do enough to make my very short stay wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Dexter's Inn

Reviewed 1 January 2012

This is was our first visit to Dexter's and it will not be our last. We were greeted upon arrival and immediately given a tour of the inn which included tips on how to take the best advantage of the common rooms as well as our own rooms. Because it was a holiday week, dinner was served on a non-weekend evening (Thursday), and we took advantage of it. We booked two rooms, one for my husband and myself, and one for my teenage son. Both rooms had private baths, were warm and comfortable, and offered privacy within a very busy inn. Unfortunately we were unable to take advantage of the onsite cross-country skiing and snowshoeing trails due to unseasonably warm weather, but my son and husband were able to enjoy a very uncrowded Mt. Sunapee ski resort. What we liked best about our getaway (3 nights) was the ease and comfort of the inn--there really wasn't anything we didn't like about our stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank librarybooks
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We were 14 and three generations and came to Dexter's Inn for a skiing vacation over Christmas. It was perfect for us. The large public rooms on the ground floor (with two grand fireplaces) accommodated both togetherness and apartness. The w-fi allowed the teenagers to stay connected with friends. The breakfasts were large and bountiful; Chef Rolf served eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles and potatoes as well as a cold buffet of breads, cereals and juices. Our first night we had dinner there. Mine had an Alsatian theme and each of the three courses was splendid.

Our bedrooms were just fine. I was cautious about using the shower because there was no grab bar. I mentioned this to Innkeeper John, and he seemed grateful to get this feedback.

This is a wonderful place for large families or other large groups traveling together. The old 1804 house is charming and has been suitably upgraded with modern amenities. It looked like it would be wonderful in summer, with tennis courts and a swimming pool, and spacious grounds. Sadly, there was not enough snow to test out the cross-country skiing trails, but it was very convenient to Mt Sunapee.

All in all, we were happy there and it was just right for our group.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The rooms were looking so old and were not very clean. The toilet was having brown stains and I hesitated to use the toilet everytime but I had no other option. We had a tough sleep time because the heater when turned on was boiling and the room turned like a furnace. We could not leave the windows open as they had no hold to leave the windows open. The heater was not getting turned off at all. We had to call the manager John to shut the heater directly in the main switch board and then we turned on the AC to get the room back to cool, which took about 2 hours and we waited that long to sleep.

Also we were expecting a single king size bed but they joined 2 single beds and the joined beds were not in the same level. One side of the bed was in a raised level than the other one and both I and my hubby suffered back pain when we woke up the next morning.

The food, amenities and location was good but we generally choose hotels to roam about on the day time and come back to the room for a good and comfortable sleep, and if we dont get a good sleep, then it is definitely not worth paying $270 for 2 rooms per night.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We arrived @ DEXTER'S INN (BED & BREAKFAST) on a sweet, tree lined, dirt road. The main house is magnificent and where you go for breakfast. We found out that they only serve dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. We were there from Monday - Friday, so we only had breakfast there.
The room was big enough for the tree of us, and we had a large glass window that looked out at beautiful Mount Sunapee! My husband and I shared a cute canopy bed, that I will show in my attached photos. Our son (age 16) had a bed in the corner which was fine. We also had a small frig in the room to keep drinks and snacks cold.

I took an immediate dip in the pool and caught some rays after our 2 1/2 hour ride from Connecticut. There were some people there waiting for the rest of their "family reunion" to arrive. Apparently, they accommodate many of these reunions, so if you do not like a crowd, then ask ahead if this will be what you arrive too.
We had no problem with this.

The ride to Dewey Beach was literally 5 minutes away. Ask the manager for a FREE pass to get into this family oriented beach. I have been coming here since I was 8 years old and am passing this legacy on to my son. They have free kayaking, sunfish sail boats, swings for the kids, basketball hoops, and a game of baseball was going on with some local kids.

We parked our blanket and chairs, under a tree so my husband could read in the shade. You can actually buy an ice cream here for a dollar. All the staff and life guards are VERY friendly.

We ate at ONE MILE WEST (2) of the nights as we have been there years before. Best food and service, and again, a 5 minute ride from Dexters Inn.

The breakfast time is 7:30-9:30AM. They have cook to order anything you want! I had a lovely omelette, one day, blueberry pancakes (2) days and french toast another. All the breakfasts are mouth watering and delightful. Really great service!

Take a ride to LAKE SUNAPPEE, and enjoy the Lake Boat ride that leaves @ 2PM for 1 1/2 hours, all around the lake. You will even go by a certain rock stars RED HOME, with a "DREAM ON" effect as the top of the home has a remote, so you can sleep looking at the stars.....Guess Who?

I would go back here again, because of the million dollar views, the spacious grounds, with tennis and shuffle board, indoor games so families interact. There is a flat screen tv in the common room in the main house. We stayed across the street in the Annex part. I will say this. If you have small children, DO NOT STAY in the ANNEX house as the dirt road is 4 feet from your door and certain times of the days, cars do drive by a bit fast. Other than that, it is very quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: Small children in group, ask for MAIN HOUSE ~
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Sista-Levi
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Our family group of three generations spent a night in the cottage at Dexter's. This place is great, comfortable, down-to-earth and homey. Beautiful grounds, pool and all sorts of lawn games. Tremendous view looking out towards Sunapee. Would love to come back in winter for the skiing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank standerson1
Reviewed 12 August 2011

The inn has a beautiful location at the top of a hill. One of the most enjoyable parts of our stay was sitting out in a lawn chair looking at the mountains. The grounds are lovely with gardens and tennis courts as well as a pool. The Inn itself is comfortable , but basic. This property is an old farm house converted to an Inn. The room was clean and the Inn keepers very accommodating. We enjoyed the full breakfast and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Uncle Jack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunapee
The Lake Inn at Mt. Sunapee
#1 of 6 in New London
Colby Hill Inn
Colby Hill Inn
#1 of 2 in Henniker

Been to Dexter's Inn? Share your experiences!