Follansbee Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Fairway Motel(New London)(Great Value!)
US$119
The Lake Inn at Mt. Sunapee(Newbury)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$259
US$251
Sunapee Lake Lodge(Mount Sunapee)
US$108
US$87
Rodeway Inn(Claremont)
US$70
Priceline
All reviewskezar lakenew englandb bgeneral storeother guestshomemade granolasqueezed orange juiceprosciuttofrittatasmall lakecommon areaswrap around porchantique furnitureresident dogloved our staysitting roombreakfast was delicious
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We were instantly comfortable when we walked in the front door. The Inn is large, but cozy with great sitting areas, nicely appointed bedrooms and a spacious dining area where we enjoyed wonderful breakfasts. The lake, at the edge of the property, is great for kayaking and the surrounding area was just right for both walking and bike riding. The Innkeepers, Dave and Cathy, are friendly, welcoming and a delight to be around. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we hated to leave. We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
DENIS S, Owner at Follansbee Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2014

Our country setting is about as tranquil as it gets. And even though we are nestled peacefully in the country, New London and its many fine restaurants is a mere 3 miles away. So we offer a great place for city dwellers to come to unwind and recharge their batteries. Thank you for your kind review and we do hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

Follansbee is a fun, relaxing, immaculate home away from home. Cathy and Dave Beard, the innkeepers for the last 12 years, make you feel like family and their spotless inn is outfitted with lots of what an outdoors-person enjoys. Yes, some window frames can use painting, the floors aren’t exactly level in places and you might spot a ceiling crack here or there, but that’s to be expected in such an old building. The original inn was built in 1840 and is now an integral part of the main building. Dave said it had been a stagecoach stop and the granite stepping stone is still on the property. The inn has four floors. Floors two and three have a total of 17 rooms, some with suites. The fourth floor is not rented and was previously used for staff at the inn and a former, sister inn across the street. According to Dave, the second inn, now long gone, was also owned by Mr. Follansbee and was outfitted with luxurious rooms for the wealthy. You can see pictures of it on the hallway wall of the second floor.

My wife and I stayed in the Ichabod room facing Lake Kezar, which is across a quiet country road. The carpet was clean and appeared rather new and the room was furnished with older, but well cared for furniture. The bathroom was equipped with a hair dryer (in the bureau drawer), shampoo, soap and towels, changed daily. The room also had a love-seat and ceiling fan. Outside in the hallway were filled bookcases and period pictures of the inn and surrounding area.

Downstairs, on the main floor, are sitting and game rooms – one with a small, cast iron stove, a bar and the main dining room where Cathy makes great breakfasts, buffet-style. On the three days we stayed, she served quiche with ham, fruit and assorted pastries on two days and delicious apple pancakes with sausage, hand-made pastries and fruit on the other. You can have all the home-made granola, milk, coffee, cranberry and orange juice you’d like. It was more like a brunch than breakfast.

At the back of the inn is a garage that holds well-maintained Specialized brand mountain bikes - including a tandem - biking helmets, life preservers and paddles for the kayaks. On the shore of the lake, directly across the street, is a dock where you’ll find two, single kayaks and one tandem. Up a hill from the shore is a wooden, rocking love-seat, which my wife found comfortable for reading. The lake is placid and includes an island. Our three day stay of uncommonly warm weather was ideal for kayaking and hiking. Dave said that in the winter when Lake Kezar freezes, he provides snowshoes for guests to use on the lake and miles of area trails.

The road around the perimeter of the lake is 3 miles long, which we walked, and includes the entrance to Wadleigh Park where you can go swimming in the summer. The large old and small homes are scattered about on heavily wooded lots.

The inn is in North Sutton, a small village without restaurants as far as I could discern. Four miles up the road is the town of New London, home to Colby-Sawyer College and some small, good restaurants, including Pizza Chef, where we ate twice. The grinders and pizza were excellent. Very clean, busy place with reasonable prices.

Dave and Cathy are ideal innkeepers. He gives directions, stops and asks if you need anything before going to town, provides loads of historical tidbits and knows all the favorite area attractions. He gave us discount coupons for our visit to nearby Canterbury Village, a former Shaker community, which you don’t want to miss if you’re interested in the now extinct, communal sect renowned for its quality products. Cathy sat and told us about her upbringing in Detroit, move to Colorado and later purchase of the inn. You thought you were talking to your sister; she was so relaxed and open.

My wife and I will return to Follansbee regardless of the season.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We had a wonderful time from the moment David met us at the door until we hugged David and Cathy goodby, two days later. The Inn is really lovely and a great place to relax. The fact that it is on a beautiful lake, with beach access made it really special. I have never seen a B& B with better opportunities to interact with the other guests and we had a nice time talking and sipping wine in the evenings.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed for three days at the Follansbee with our two children aged 10 and 8.
All of us loved the location. Being able to use the Inn's lakefront either as a place to chill out or have a swim or use the Inn's boats to explore the lake Kezar proved a great amenity. We had inter-connecting rooms for us and the children with a bathroom shared by us all. The Inn is small enough and friendly enough that we would be happy to go back and take adjoining rooms.
What makes the Inn really special is the hospitality offered by Cathy and Dave. It is like being welcomed into their home. As an example, our daughter is gluten intolerant and, having explained this in advance, Cathy ensured that child friendly options were available for each breakfast.
We also enjoyed the television free environment.- even the children didn't miss it !
There is a good choice of local restaurants. The town of New London - only 3 to 4 miles from Sutton - provided us with all the options we needed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bromley105
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed in a suite at the Follansbee Inn for five days in July. It blew out any expectations I had for my stay for the following reasons.

I intended for the Inn to be a base camp for New England exploration after driving up from my hometown of Atlanta. However, I found many attractions at the Inn itself that caused me to relax and simply enjoy being there.

I met the proprietors, Dave and Cathy, from their niece. Dave is the jovial one with entertaining stories of the many lives he has lived as a volunteer fire fighter, prosecuter, and much more. Cathy is the hands-on chef and purveyor of local knowledge. Both were very happy to make my friends and I comfortable at the Inn and point out many things to do in the area.

Every morning there is a great spread that Cathy creates from scratch. Daily items seem to be homemade granola, tea, coffee, milk, and juice. The majority of the main items are made fresh each day and during our time included omelets with swiss/ham/asparagus, ginger waffles, and potato cakes with apple sauce. One main item is usually accompanied by a couple other side dishes such as raspberry scones, yogurt, blueberry muffins (amazing!), hard-boiled eggs, and/or Waldorf salad. And, yes, dinner is just as amazing as breakfast if not more so. Meals are laid out buffet style in a room of many wooden tables overlooking the lake. Cathy is also conscientious about her cooking in order to meet the dietary needs of people (30% vegetarians or other restrictions) who stay at the inn. Beyond the deliciousness, this is another reason she makes her items from scratch so she knows everything that is in her food.

Kezar Lake is another attraction within about 50 yards of your bed. The lake is just across the sleepy road in front of the inn. A short dock serves as the launching point for swimming, kayaking, canoeing, or simply floating on a raft. I was so excited to explore the outdoors that I repeatedly rose without alarm at 6am to kayak on the lake. I'd circle Blueberry Island which is 0.5 miles from the dock and has beautiful water lilies on one side or I'd circle the parameter of the lake where I found a beaver dam down one stream and a great heron swooping off just prior to that discovery. This equipment is available along with safety equipment and some bicycles; just inquire with Dave and Cathy. If you are a runner, you can circle in the lake in about 3 miles.

However, you could always just take it easy in the hammock, lounge chairs, or benches on the bank of the lake. It's comfortable and beautiful. I recommend a little bug spray in the summer at dusk for the mosquitoes which are large and slow but persistent. This is a beautiful time of day to sit out and enjoy a pizza on the park bench by the lake. Ask about Pizza Chef (restaurant) which has great pizzas and many other items I didn't have the time to enjoy.

Now, if you didn't get sucked into simply relaxing at the Inn with it's unique, comfortable rooms, it's bar room that's made lively by Dave's entertainment, the lake, or it's game room - then there are many sites in New England to see. I'm from the South and I enjoy some good food so I ventured to the Lobster Shack (Cape Elizabeth, ME), King Arthur Bakery/School (Norwich, VT), Cabot Cheese Visitor Center (Cabot, VT), and Ben & Jerry's Factory (Waterbury, VT). There were many other sites to hit for food but frankly the Inn was a pretty comfortable place to stay and relax.

I definitely recommend staying and enjoying your time here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends