Hotwire.com
All reviewskezar lakenew englandgeneral storeother guestshomemade granolagourmet qualitysqueezed orange juicesmall lakefrittatacommon areasresident dogwrap around porchantique furnitureloved our staysitting roomshort drivebreakfast was delicious
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Beautiful, charming, warm and inviting. All rooms elegant and cozy--I peeked in all. Be sure to enjoy all the artwork throughout. Breakfasts to savor, meticulously prepared, where New England and the South meet. Lovely evenings spent in the lounge enjoying the many guests over a cocktail. Felt like home. And that's just the inn! Oh, the lake, the walks, boats and bikes (free for use), to lose oneself in the outdoors. Much to do and enjoy in the surrounding area, as well. Carry me back to the Follansbee!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful, elegant, and cozy.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2017

This was my first time staying in a B & B and I was very pleasantly rewarded with the a most wonderful experience. First, you must understand my preferences:
1) Out of the way places surrounded by nature: Check
2) Old world charm, historical places: Check
3) Feel-at-home amenities: Check
4) Delicious, not run-of-the-mill meals:Check
Follensbee's location was idyllic for me in so many ways. Beautiful, serene setting surrounded by gorgeous trees and flowers, with a mistycal lake right across from it.
A steepled church right outside the Inn's door whose bell would ring softly every few hours, reminding me of the old New England. And an old cemetery just a few yards away! Talk about historical! A gorgeous 3 story house with furnishings and decorations worthy of being displayed in a museum. And the Breakfast!! Oh my gosh, what a culinary experience. The room I was in was beautiful and the bed was wonderful! I have a hard time sleeping and I slept like an angel. The en suite bathroom with the claw tub, although a bit precarious for me bc of my bad knee, was still a nice experience, and it was spacious and well appointed.
From the Inn, I traveled to Vermont, went all over NH, and was able to sightsee to my heart's content. The roads to and from everywhere are so beautiful that an hour's drive to anywhere was always a pleasurable experience.
My only 'issue' was that my room was on a third floor and I really have a hard time climbing the stairs with luggage, but Dennis, the owner, offered to help me. Since I was only staying two nights, and my car was parked nearby (under my bedroom window, actually), I just resorted to taking only the clothes I needed in my backpack and it worked out well.
I am making it a point to come back to the Inn just to spend more days and enjoy it since I didn't really have time to sit on their veranda's swing or enjoy the lake as I wanted to do.
Overall, I highly recommend Follensbee for a most pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: Request first floor if can't climb stairs. All rooms are quiet.One side of the Inn faces lake; the other the old 19th Century cemetery.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2017

What a nice time! Coming to the Follansbee Inn gave me and my husband the perfect opportunity to relax. Each of the rooms is unique and decorated in different ways. The Inn has all the charm that you would expect and then some. There are beautiful hanging baskets and plants on the wrap-around porch. It was very welcoming.

Sure, there are quirks and even unusual things - like finding a full size window inside the tub/shower wall. Easily solved by drawing the blinds. I was more concerned that the blinds got wet every time I took a shower, but it really wasn't a privacy issue - just something I had never encountered before. Our bed was super comfortable and we slept very well.

Everyone seems to rave about the breakfast that Denis serves - and for good reason. Hands down, one of the best I've had. It is evident that he really cares about the meals he prepares. Try the homemade granola, too. One of fellow travelers we met commented that it felt like "staying at Grandma's house (because everything was so nice) ...but the food was far better!" There was also fresh baked banana bread in the livingroom/bar area at night. It was nice to grab a cup of hot chocolate, sit by the fireplace and engage in conversation with other travelers whom we had just met.

My husband and I also had the opportunity to take the kayaks out on Lake Kezar. What a calming experience.

If you are looking to unwind and simply relax, definitely come to the Follansbee Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the Inn overlook the lake
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2017

STAY HERE! The room we stayed in was perfect, very clean and beautifully decorated with that old New England charm. We stayed for 2 nights and the breakfast was absolutely incredible. Denis is so nice and made us feel very welcome. The lake is great you can easily yak, canoe, swim, bike, walk, run. There is a great farmstead nearby where we got delicious fresh fruits and veggies to take home.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2017

Relaxed armosphere. Beautiful setting by the Lake. The Inn is full of beautiful antique furnishings and the building is very old and well preserved.
My husband, friends and I enjoyed ourselves immensely and Denis was the perfect host.
Superb areas inside and out in which to relax.
Loads to do around the Inn. Bird watching, hiking, swimming, canoeing and cycling.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends