“Good value for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Tilton B&B and Inns
Johnson City, New York
“Good value for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for four nights during Laconia Motorcycle Week. Excellent location for this event; many of the other guests at the hotel were returning customers for the same rally. Rooms are nothing fancy but are clean. Bathroom in my room was quite small, but fine for my purposes (although a very large person may have trouble positioning him or herself onto the toilet, which faced the side of the sink and was immediately adjacent to it). Hotel is close to roadway, so there is some traffic noise during the day. This is made up for by the excellent view of Lake Winnisquam, which is right across the road. Area around hotel seemed very safe. Many stores nearby. Continental breakfast was pretty good if you are just looking for a quick bite. Hotel owners and staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank dooz28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed 1 night for skiing at Gunstock. Lowest price within 30' distance. Room was small but very clean, OK for sleeping 1 night. Breakfast was fine, enough calories for the morning ski. Management friendly and helpful. Will use it again if need to be in that area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 Thank ylyl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently. A few things to note.
1. I got the hotel on priceline for $41 for the night. What a steal!
2. We arrived at the hotel and owner did not seem pleased that two men would be sharing one bed. His look of disgust on his face was clear. That made me feel very uncomfortable.
3. They made me sign some smoke charge agreement. We got to our room, which was cold and smelled like smoke already - yay!
4. We woke up the next morning to head for the "Inn's" breakfast. It was about 9A when we arrive the breakfast was already closed for the morning. No breakfast for us. We turned in our key at the front desk and left to find some breakfast.

So - I get home and a week later they charged us $100! I called the Inn, it must be a mistake. No - the owner of the Inn told me my room smelled like smoke (well, yea... it smelled like that when we got there!). The owner tells me I caused the smoke smell and so he charged me to clean the room. Never confronted me when I left the room and turned in my key. We were at the hotel for about 20 minutes before we left to find breakfast. Never once told me he would be charging me for the smoke smell already in my room.

Now I am left paying $141 for a really dirty hotel room that smelled like smoke!

Don't ever stay here - this owner is extremely dishonest!

Now - go and take a look at some of the recent reviews on this property and see how glowing they are. I challenge you to find those rooms, service and experience at this INN! I think those reviews are put there by the owner...

Room Tip: Find another hotel - this place stinks, the bathroom sink smells like sewage and the rooms are compl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank reporter_nyny
Rodewayinn_788, Manager at Rodeway Inn, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Thank you for your review Sir. It was unfortunate that we had to charge you $100.00 for smoking in your room but it is Hotel Policy that we need to comply. You did sign a registration form upon check-in which we furnished you a copy. ( By signing this release form, you understand that if anyone in your party smokes in your registered room you will be charged $100.00 at the time of check out.) You have the right to your opinions Sir I respect that but we cannot question the credibility of the review websites specially TripAdvisor. We cannot make our own reviews. We understand that you are very upset because of the charge but we have to follow regulations. Again we thank you for your review and hope we can all learn from this.

Travellers are raving about these Tilton hotels

Franconia, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We chose this place because of the price and reviews I read. After checking in I felt, for the first time, that I was at a home away from home. The manager and his family were warm and gracious. The experience was real and genuine, compared to the professional politeness of other establishments. The room was very clean. Opening the curtain in the morning to the sun coming up over the beautiful lake across the road was a treat. I wouldn't hesitate staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Bob W
Nahant, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This property is a little gem. The lake view from our room was magnificent. Our room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. Loved the hard wood floors. Staff was very accommodating. Also, great breakfast selection. Close to many restaurants and shopping.

Look forward to visiting again soon.

Judy

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank judyO627
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

When reviewing all of the prior reviews on this site (which I based my decision for this hotel on), I can't help but notice how mixed the reviews are. It doesn't seem like everyone is staying at the same hotel. I wonder if some people are talking about another location?

Anyways, with that said, the really hard part about writing a somewhat negative review about a place is when you actually really liked the staff (possibly owner?) that worked there. Whoever checked people in (and it seemed like a one man show) was friendly, and was someone who you wished worked for a nicer hotel location.

Pros:
- The Rodeway Inn was cheap. As in, it was the cheapest option on Expedia when booking hotels in the area.
- Breakfast included fresh fruit (watermelon). The other options, which I did not partake in, seemed relatively decent, and not of the regular really crappy motel kind of quality.

Cons:
- Anytime that your next door neighbor walks around shirtless, and shows more plumber's crack than... well your last plumber, you know you're in a real classy joint. There are chairs set up outside which face the lake where this gentleman decided to park his caboose and smoke the night away.
- It's old. Not Betty White, haha that's awesome old, but damn-I-need-a-shower-now kind of old. It doesn't look dirty, but you just feel the grime.

So the end of the story is this. Nice staff (of one), reasonable location if you're needing to go to the NASCAR track close by, decent breakfast, but holy heck the place reminded you at every turn of how little you paid for the hotel night. I wish that Choice Hotels would spring for a makeover of this location, it would do wonders...

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Laconia, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Great deal, and a beautiful view. The room was a little small but it was definitely workable for two people. It was clean, and comfortable as well. The staff was incredibly friendly and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends