“Cabin Under The Starts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Twin Mountain
Beech Hill Campground and Cabins
Long Island, NY
“Cabin Under The Starts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

On the weekend of 6/6/09, my boyfriend and I took a road trip from Long Island, NY to Mount Washington, NH. The purpose of our trip was for him to cycle up Mount Washington, in preparation for Newton’s Revenge Cycling Race.
We decided to spend the night at Beech Hill Campgrounds in hopes of experiencing a more authentic, unique approach to NH.
Check-in time at Beech Hill is 3pm, and check-out is 11am. We paid $66 a night for cabin #47. The campground is clean, secluded, and run by a very nice family-The Sullivan’s. There is a $20 cash deposit for a gate key, which they return to you at check-out. The campground has a convenient store, which sells everything from coffee, snacks, ice cream, to sundries and food to order. The store hours are 9am-9pm. Beech Hill also has a nice clean park area which includes a large playground, park benches, and volleyball court. There is also a small indoor pool-but we did not use it.
At check-in The Sullivan family were very nice. They gave us a campsite map, reviewed the rules, and offered recommendations for local attractions. Once we arrived at cabin #47, we were happy to see it was exactly what we were looking for. The cabin is nestled in a quiet, secluded wooded area. Inside the cabin there are electric outlets, indoor/outdoor ceiling light, and 2 sets of bunk beds. The inside was clean and neat, but there was a dreadful mildew odor. We opened the windows, sprayed Lysol, and after a few hours the smell started to go away. The inside of the cabin is not insulated (no heat). On the outside of the cabin there is a running water faucet, large area for parking your car, park bench, and fire pit. The Beech Hill Campground Store sells large bags of wood for $5.
Although we explored the town of Gorham all afternoon, we returned to the campsite in the evening to enjoy a nice fire, make smores, and admire the starlit sky and fresh air.
I would advise you to bring extra blankets or a thick sleeping bag because the cabin gets chilly overnight and the mattress’ are rather firm.
The campsite also has 2 bath houses. The one located near the indoor pool has sinks, toilets, and hit showers with changing area. This bath house is very clean and roomy, but it is only open from 9am-9pm. The other bath house is located in the playground. This location is less desirable. It is open 24/7, but the toilets are rusty, the ground is all chipped, and the shower curtains were torn and ratty.
Since we only had time to spend one night at Beech Hill Campgrounds, because we had a 5am bike race at Auto Road, NH- The Sullivan family graciously extended our check-out time to accommodate our needs.
Overall, we were pleased with our stay at Beech Hill Campground, and we recommend you to stay there if you are looking for something relaxed, quiet, private and in the wilderness.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank meechf13

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

The new owners have done a wonderful job updating the facilities of the campground each year. Within a few years they have added to the playground, replaced the picnic tables and benches in the public areas, and the outdoor game area has been improved to include volleyball, shuffleboard, bocce ball, croquet, and a new game, becoball. It is a great place for kids of all ages.

The pool area bathrooms are roomy and it looks like they have been recently painted. While the laundry area bathrooms have new sinks, automated soap dispensers, and a paint job as well. I recommend the pool area bathrooms for showers. The shower stalls are roomy and you are able to take young children in with you without having a space issue.

The campground has a game room and in-door pool to keep kids busy on a rainy day. The owners provide a weekend evening wagon ride. My kids enjoy going on the wagon ride throughout the various camping roads in order to see the occasional chipmunk or cute bunny rabbit. The sites are full of trees and are very private. The evenings were nice and quiet, which is great for families with young children!

The camp store is full of camping supplies and food items at a reasonable price. The coin laundry is helpful and easy to get to. We didn't use the dumping station, but I recommend that people get there early at check-out, because a line forms.

I loved the peaceful time at Beech Hill Campground and found the beautiful view of Mt. Washington just perfect. The mountain is easily seen from the outdoor gaming area on Blueberry Lane.

Yes, there are rules. I appreciate the time and effort that the owners take to make the campground a happy, relaxing, and safe place for families. I'm surprised by other reviews. I found the owners to be friendly and down to earth. They don't need to jump through hoops for my family to have a great time. Camping is all about family, biking, hiking, camp fires, and s'mores.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
South Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2008

The campground is conveniently located. It is a short drive to many White Mountains attractions. There are many roomy and well-spaced camp sites - some open and sunny, some shaded. Nice views of Mount Washington. Some road noise (nothing intrusive) but you can limit this by reserving a site further from the road. We stayed in Cabin 47 for a week and found it private (nearby sites were empty) and comfortable. Bathrooms and showers near the camp store were clean and roomy with free hot showers. Bathrooms and showers near the laundry were a bit less clean and a bit more cramped. Campground recreational facilities leave a bit to be desired, but there is so much to do in the vicinity that you'll probably be out and about most of the day anyway. The owners were cordial and not obtrusive. The week we stayed the campground was very quiet and I was left with the impression that boisterous partying would be discouraged. If that's what you're into, this may not be your place. But if you are looking for a nice place to spend some quality time around a camp fire with the family after the day's activities, give this place some serious consideration.

• Liked — convenient to area attractions
  • Disliked — recreational facilities need updating
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
new hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

property is in disrepair and sites are not even close to what is advertised.
Rates and location were great.
Pool was simply gross, with rusty screws sticking up all over the place (see photos) - this sort of non-maintenance is evident all over the place - pool should likely be shut down by the city or otherwise, and someone should probably check the dumping station for leakage, the entire area near the playground smells septic and this was not a particularly hot weekend. Dumping station was also strangely located right in the middle of the main entrance area containing the playground (few yards), arcade, pool, porch swing, store, dishwashing station (20ft) and ice cream stand - odd location if you ask me.

Campground is not on river at all, although if you are a prudent reader you'll notice that upfront. You must leave the property, cross the highway and then after a while you will find the river. Rivers in the White Mountains range from mudholes (0) to pristene (10) - this is a definitive 2.
Quiet time is exactly that and is enforced well - we did appreciate that a lot.
Unlike others, I found the owners to be very friendly and accomodating even with the other issues at hand. I did not ask for refund or complain too much, as the situation is what it is - and my review i entirely fair. There isn't much they could have done to make the experience better for us except to update the amenities which is not likely to happen anytime soon.
Camp store was great - they are really good about keeping prices reasonable - again much appreciated.
Arcade - not sure many have actually ventured into there, it is a pretty scary looking place.

Also - not sure if this is now commonplace but they play the condominium game here. At desirable times (all summer perhaps ?) you have to book a minimum stay of several nights. The only way around this is if someone else already booked the minimum and didn't need it all (or if there is a gap between bookings)- you might get the leftover slot (at full rate of course) and hopefully the original "booker" gets some of their money back for the nights they weren't going to be there anyway. Simply put, and inconvenient and annoying revenue-producing scam.

Overall, nice location, but not a high quality campground at all. Would not go back unless everyone else in the area was booked up (which is how we wound up here to begin with).

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — the accomodations
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
NH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

OMG----The owners of this place are on a MAJOR power trip. We booked 3 nights but only sayed one night (they still charged us for the 3 nights. BEWARE THE RULES!!!!!! No refunds!! The first rules says "read the rules" (that should tell you something)!The first night we arrived about 6pm, the site I booked over the phone was rediculously small!!!! so I asked for a larger one....we ended up at a somewhat larger site right in the open!! That is not camping---(aren't the sites supposed to be in the woods)????and after setting up with my 3 children about 8:30pm I bought wood from the camp store and set a camp fire, I was finally able to relax!!
Then the owner(s) came up to the site and told us to be quite "10pm is quite time" .When i said "I didn't think we were loud. The wife said "We are the owners and I'm telling you you are, laughter carries and with no wind tonight so voices carry" OMG---SORRY FOR HAVING FUN---
I thought thats what camping was all about! I told her I'm well aware, but I've camped all my life.
So we just put out the fire and went to bed. In the am my husband came in with his friend and we went to the river swimming and fishing all day.
When we got back from the fireworks, we went to the bathroom again the owners approached us for laughing at the bathrooms. The male owner and another male employee followed my husband and I (they scared the you know what out of me----WEIRD!!!---
Every time we stopped and looked back they stopped, it was spokey. I told my husband someone was following us and he said no their not. But again we stopped and stood there--when we started to walk again they again followed behind.
So we stopped again and my husband said "Are you following us"? The male owner said "Yes and we are going to follow you back to your campsite and your going pack up and leave"!and when we questioned the male owner and told him that he was being rediculous he told his wife to call the cops!!!!
The police came and stood there while we packed with two 16 year olds and a 12 year old. We talked to the police and told them we thought this was rediculous but they said "They are the owners and if they want you have to leave there is nothing we can do---You don't seem like unreasonable people"
The police officer was right were not unreasonable people and if we thought for one minute that we were wrong we would have gladly let without a question but my god all we were doing was having FUN!
We really we not obnoxious.
We stayed somewhere else because we were not going to let this place ruin our vacation. When we got home I checked my bank account and sure enough they charged my credit card for all three nights and the gate key deposits of $40 (which was suppose to be refunded)!
OMG---Horrible people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO HAVE FUN !!!!!

• Liked — NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — THE OWNERS !!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
7 Thank NhMoomoo
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2007

We have stayed at this campground many times over the past few years we love it.The owners are always helpful.I love how quite it is.It is only about 20 min. from 4 major attractions.We have three children and a dog.The owners never bothered us EVER. The bathrooms/showers are a little outdated but they are free so what do you expect.The rates are so cheap and you truelly feel like your camping.I don't think parking in a field with a pop up is camping I like trees and shade and this campground has all that.I think this is very family friendly however if you are looking for a more party location you should probably look in the lakes region.This is the best campground we have found so far.

• Liked — so peaceful,
  • Disliked — We wish the pool was outside
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2006

I stayed in the camping cabins (#47) with my husband and two children (ages ten and four) over the Fourth of July weekend.
Check in was quick and convienent. We were required to give a $20 deposit for a card used to swipe the entry gate open. The campground is under new ownership this summer and we found the owners to be a bit odd but nice. This is a family owned and operated campground. We were very impesssed with the cabin. It was one of the 10x20 cabins with out a kitchen. It was very clean and comfortably fit a family of four. The cabins had electricity and we were able to plug in a fan and alarm clock. The site was roomy and clean as well. It was surprisingly quiet for a holiday weekend. The bathrooms were outdated but over all pretty clean. There is a in door pool and archade, which the kids loved. However, it is very humid in the pool room and made sitting there uncomfortable. The campground has daily hayrides and make your own sundaes. The store had a large variety of items, but was way over priced. There is tubing, but you need to leave the campground and cross the street (I would say a 1/4 mile walk) to access the brook. There was a baseball field, basketball hoop (no court), shuffle board and lots of open spaces. We brought our bikes and biked all around. The owners do walk around at night and did come onto our site to ask us to turn down our radio around 11pm. We were fine with their request since the rules do call for a 10pm quiet time. We definitally enjoyed our experience there and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2006
#2 of 10 in Twin Mountain
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#2 of 8 in Bethlehem

Been to Beech Hill Campground and Cabins? Share your experiences!