“One of my favorite places I ever been to.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crawford Notch General Store and Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Twin Mountain
Crawford Notch General Store and Campground
Kingston
“One of my favorite places I ever been to.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I have been going to Crawford Notch Campground for almost 20 years. It is by far one of my favorites places I have ever been. Located right in the middle of The Notch in NH. One of the nice perks of camping here is (because you are in the notch) there is no cell phone reception at all. It's a nice break from civilization. There are many options for your stay here, you can choose to be on the highway side of the campground, perfect for those of you taking day trips, or you could choose to camp out on the other side of the campground on the Saco river or in the woods. The campsites are spread out allowing you plenty of privacy. There is a bath house which is always clean and a fully stocked general store (If you forgot it, they've got it).
I have been through three owners in my stays here. The newest is the best. He really has change the campground for the better. After the hurricane last year the river literally changed. A once in a lifetime event I am sure. So in the off season the owner changed it back. An amazing site to see. Now it's like beachfront property in the mountains. It is true that there are no playgrounds or arcades(Not something I would like to see) but there are plenty of trails and places to swim and if you really must find something like an arcade there are plenty of places within 10-15 minutes away you can drive to.
So if you are heading to this area and want to camp somewhere, camp here. It just too beautiful to pass up.

Room Tip: Stay on the river if you can, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jcolonies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Atco, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We were looking forward a nice campground for 4th of July weekend. Fortunately, this capground had a few left. The women at the front desk were friendly and helpful from our first phone call until the time we left. We stayed in a tent at site 33. Our campsite was nestled back a bit so we weren't right on top of our neighbors. The camp store had everything we needed and then some. If you dont want to make coffee in the morning they have an excellent selection and buy their travel mug because you get refills at a reduced price! We walked the trail and hung out by the river which was very clean and extra cold! One morning we saw a small black bear so make sure you do not leave any food outside of you car or camper. We can't wait to come back and stay at Crawford Notch and explore more of the White Mountains!

Room Tip: Try to get a spot near the river. they looked really nice!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
BOSTON, MA, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

This is the first time I've gone camping in the White Mountains. About a week ahead of Columbus Day, I was doing research to find a campground that was reasonably priced, had hot showers/clean facilities, and was located near bike routes and hiking trails. After a little back-and-forth discussion, the group settled on this campground because it seemed to fit our requirements.The campground has cabins, yurts and several options for tent sites. We ended up choosing tent sites (without electric/water) for cost reasons. One site was reserved for two nights while the other was for three nights. The rate was $31 per night due to the holiday.

The check-in process was very straightforward. We were issued security gate keys, a map, a long list of rules and a trash bag. We did have to pay an extra $10 per night to park a 2nd vehicle either on the site or the overflow parking lot. If you're planning to take two vehicles, be sure to work in this extra fee into your budget or just take one car. You're also supposed to provide them advance notice of the 2nd car as well. The fee is a little high to me, especially since many campgrounds don't charge for this.

After the check-in process, we proceeded to our site. The dirt road around the campground has quite a few potholes so I would recommend driving carefully and slowly to avoid damaging your vehicle.

Our site (#30) was fairly small but did have room for both cars. It would have been really crowded with our two large tents and two cars. So we took a look at the second site (#31) and noticed the second site had much more room plus parking for two cars. Site 30 was very private, though site #31 was less as it was very close to site #32.

Even though the reservation for site #31 did not technically start until the following night, we inquired about switching onto the site right away if it wasn't reserved. Based on the reviews I basically assumed the owners would not allow this. To my surprise, since both reservations were under my name, they had no issues with the change. We were able to set up camp on site #31 that night and our guests showing up for the following evening were switched to site #30. On site #31, we had two large tents, two cars, and one canopy over the picnic table and still had room to spare!

On both sites we had a picnic table and a fire ring with an adjustable grill. I felt the picnic table was pretty small. To give you an idea my two burner stove took up almost half of the table and could not sit at the end of the table. The table just wasn't wide enough.

The bathhouse was really clean. In fact I think it was cleaner than most state parks that I have stayed at in New Hampshire. I found the showers always provided hot water. The shower is metered at a rate of $.25 per three minutes.

There is a designated dishwashing station with two sinks behind the store. It was very clean and provided hot water to clean your dishes.

It could be considered a long walk from our site to both the bathhouse and dishwashing station. I don't mind walking but others in my group complained about this. With a heavy load of dishes I did find the walk a bit excessive.

Fortunately there were also a few outdoor sinks (Cold water only) where you could technically wash dishes or fill up your water container. There were also outhouses throughout the campground. The one near our sites was just recently serviced a day earlier and was therefore very clean. The dishwashing station near our site was really rusty so I preferred to wash dishes at the dishwashing station.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the general store is well stocked and they sell breakfast sandwiches in the morning and sandwiches for lunch throughout the day. Items are reasonably priced but expect to pay more than you would at a large grocery store.

We never had any issues with the owners. All the staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the area.

Unfortunately our sites were right next to 302 so there was constant noise of traffic passing. We knew this ahead of time so I brought earplugs for sleeping at night. The first day of this was a little annoying to say the least. I found that we got used to the noise by the second day. If you can reserve far enough in advance, there are sites along the river where the noise from the traffic is minimal.

As mentioned above you will be provided a list of rules. I found the rules to be reasonable and pretty much comparable with other campgrounds. If you're looking for a place where you can party all night and be loud, you should find somewhere else to stay for sure.

I will definitely keep this place in mind the next time we camp in the area. We enjoyed our stay here and will recommend others stay here as well.

Room Tip: Check out the interactive map on their website to find a large site. When you click on a site, it wi...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 2007sonata
Braintree, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

I've been camping in the White Mountain for over 25 years and Crawford Notch Camp Ground is the best by far. Spacious sites, well kept grounds and friendly staff make for a true wilderness experience. The general store has anything and everything you need. Within 30 minutes to North Conway or Mount Washington and hundreds of hiking trails in-between, they're perfectly located in the White Mountains. I've camped at many if not all the camp grounds in the region and I can't say enough goods things about the folks at Crawford Notch.

1 Thank Mark G
Braintree
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

I have been camping in the New Hampshire White Mountains for over 25 years and have camped at many if not all camp grounds in the area. I have to say, Crawford Notice General Store and Camp Ground is one of, if not the best camp ground in the White Mountains. The staff is great, the amenities are plentiful and the overall grounds are very well maintained. I can’t say enough about this camp ground and general store; it’s my first call whenever I go north.

Room Tip: The camping sites are all good size.
1 Thank Mark G
South Easton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

Great family campground ! We have been coming here for five years and have never been disappointed. The sites are private and spacious. The facilities are clean and the General Store well stocked with anything you may have left at home. The swimming hole on the Saco is perfect for all ages. We usually bring our bikes and ride on the miles of trails overlooking the Saco river. Great place for building memories with your kids.
I have seen in a few reviews that say the owners are rude and over zealous on the rules. Guess what? Rules are there for a reason and clearly stated on the web site. My experience with the owners is great. They are a kind helpful bunch of people. I have seem them help
novice campers or those who arrived after dark set up camp so they can quickly enjoy the camping experience. Customer service here is great!
Do not forget to bring you camera.

2 Thank Bgavinsamdiv
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

My husband and I have been camping here for 13 years with friends and love it. We've been through three sets of ownership and Richard, the current owner, is amazing. We've never been happier with the cleanliness of the bath house and the friendliness of the staff. They truly go out of their way to make sure your stay is what you hoped it would be. Previous owners were not very friendly and the new management has been the breath of fresh air the campground needed. The setting is by far the most beautiful I've ever seen in a campground that also has the convenience of a general store and bath house. A mountain backdrop to the crystal clear Saco River with easy river access for great tubing and swimming. It's our at least once a year getaway and never disappoints!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,233 reviews

Been to Crawford Notch General Store and Campground? Share your experiences!