“Only visited the Chocolate shop”

The Restaurant at Burdick's
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Walpole
Price range: US$15 - US$28
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Full Service French Inspired Bistro. Serving Cuisine inspired by the season. Proudly sourcing local ingredients and minimally manipulating them to allow them to shine as they are.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I do hope to go back and have lunch at this beautiful restaurant in a small quiet town. We went to buy some of their chocolates.

When we were there they were in the middle of remodeling the chocolate shop to make the restaurant and shop two separate entities. Because of this it wasn't very big but the chocolates were still wonderful. I think when the construction is done it is going to be very nice.

I have visited chocolate shops all over from Newport R.I. to Ambergris Caye in Belize and L.A. Burdick offers something just a bit different in their flavors, something I do enjoy. I bought the half pound assorted box. It offers you a chance to taste each of their chocolates (with the exception of 2) and two of their famous chocolate mice. I personally would recommend buying one of the assorted boxes as it seems to be much more cost effective then individual pieces if you want more then just a couple. They give you a nice little pamphlet in the box with a drawn picture and description of each chocolate so you know what you eating. I found this to be so helpful and made my experience more enjoyable. They are also boxed very nicely if you want to give one as a gift.

My daughter loves penguins and she just adored their chocolate penguins. They are a dark chocolate and lemon, one of my favorite combinations much to my surprise.

I also tried their dark chocolate hot chocolate and it was amazing. I only got the small size which may seem like a small cup but it is so rich and pure that it was plenty. It also packs a lot more caffeine then most cups of coffee, woke me up real quick.

If you are anywhere near Brattleboro Vt, or Keene NH take the time to drive to this little gem of a spot. Have lunch and end with a box of delicious Chocolates. It may be a little bit expensive but it is worth it and is just a wonderful treat you don't get too often.

You can also order their Chocolates from their website. I have done this and they come just as beautiful and delicious as in their shop.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Walpole, NH, is a pristine New England village with a stone charming library, a green with a gazebo and a sign ordering "no horses on the common", a flower-encircled lion's head fountain at the main intersection and best of all, this wonderful restaurant in the same long building as the post office and a small grocery store. Walpole is worth seeing but once you eat here, it is worth return visits. We began with Sunday brunch, not always the best test of a restaurant because staff tend to be busy and harried. But service was delivered by a very smiling young woman. The menu changes, but this Sunday we chose luncheon fare although brunch dishes were available as well. My husband got a very flavorful duck ragout; I had a salad of Bibb lettuce with fresh crab, avocado and capers in a horseradish Dijon vinaigrette. The lettuce and crabmeat were perfect and since our summer home is near the Chesapeake and I am very picky about crabmeat, I was very pleased that it was tender plump lumps of sweet crabmeat that were delicious. The dressing was a bit strong for the other ingredients and I wish I had ordered on the side because the ingredients were so fresh and flavorful. There is a broad array of desserts since L A Burdick is considered one of the country's best chocolatiers but I confess that my cup of dark hot chocolate was better as dessert than any cake I could have imagined. Hot chocolates are offered that are house blends, dark or milk, but also from a variety of single sources from various cocoa-producing countries. We kept talking about how good the meal was and in the end drove back 40 miles before we left the area to have dinner there. This time we were even more pleased (and the restaurant was a bit less hectic). My husband had grilled leg of lamb served with red pepper polenta that was creamy and well flavored not only with the red pepper but with corn, served with a medley of tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash and a rich sauce. (He used a spoon to get all the sauce). I ordered pan-roasted chicken served with leeks and whipped and straw potatoes with lemon; it was perfectly cooked with a crispy flavorful crust and juicy interior. The finely shredded julienne "straw" potatoes were heaped on top and added a wonderful crunch and saltiness to the whole. The leeks were sweet and the pan juices were sublime. We've been traveling in New England for over a month and this was one of the two best meals we had, but with the bonus of being in a beautiful little town.

1  Thank CarolinaBecky
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Everyone in the area recommended Burdicks and right they way, it truly lived up to its expectations. A little bit of France in the US. I was amused when the server said Frite rather than Fries. Pleasantly surprised to know that Bastille Day is celebrated with a passion. Keep up the excellent food and service!

1  Thank S7J7S7
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Beautiful fresh tomato salad and duck breast, plus out-of-this-world chocolate from the neighboring shop.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

this restaurant is attached to a retail chocolate shop (from whence the restaurant sprung) and they now have a gourmet food shop a few doors away. walpole is a charming new hampshire town -- naturally burdock's is on the main street. the atmosphere in the dining room is comfortable, attractive and pleasant. the service is excellent. less laudable is the food. it's certainly not bad, and the prices are reasonable, but the dishes were inconsistent and would benefit from a bit more refinement.

we started with the three pate sampler and grilled octopus. the former was excellent; the latter inedible. literally. without a steak knife it was impossible to slice the octopus. sending food back to the kitchen is not something we do often, or lightly, but this time there was no alternative. the octopus was tougher and less tasty than a spare tire

on a brighter note, duck breast and steak/frites entrees were good. good, not great. the portions were generous. mashed potatoes with the duck were too liquified but the frites with the steak were outstanding. the sauce with the duck and the garlic butter with the steak would benefit from a lighter touch.

management reacted properly to our problem with the octopus. naturally we weren't charged for that course, but in addition we were given a $10 credit and not charged for our desserts.

we'll probably return to this charming restaurant but will be very careful selecting from the menu.