“Nicely situated but otherwise...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warren
Moose Hillock Campground
New Hope, Pennsylvania, United States
“Nicely situated but otherwise...”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Moose Hillock was recommended to us by a fellow camper at Normandy Farms Camping Resort in MA (fantastic place, btw). We had reservations at another New Hampshire campground, but decided to cut that stay short and move to Moose Hillock. I phoned for a reservation and I have to say the woman on the phone was a bit odd (and none-too-friendly) but I wrote it off. We arrived at Moosehillock on a Weds and stayed for 3 nights.

First, the pluses: It's beautifully situated, heavily wooded, and surrounded on (I believe) two sides by National forests. Very quiet. The sites are large and very clean with natural stone fireplaces. The much-touted Tropical Pool was lots of fun for our 11-year-old son, but overall it's very shallow (no serious swimming) and, oddly, there's no separate "kiddie pool" for the toddlers. The bathrooms were decent if nothing to write home about.

The not-so-great points: We got a long lecture upon arrival about how they usually don't take last minute reservations, we should have arrived precisely at check-in time or they would charge us for early arrival (!), etc, etc. All this delivered in a hectoring tone by a Sunday School teacher type woman. So that definitely set the tone and made for a warm and inviting welcome. There are apparently some planned activities, entertainment, etc. but they are oddly reticent about letting the campers know. The information is hard to come by. No schedule or signs posted anywhere (the info is on their website, I found out later.)

There's no hot water available ANYWHERE at this campground besides in the pay showers (bring quarters). Even the laundry room is all cold wash. Understandable (they are in the mountains, after all) but something they could let you know in advance. The poolside cafe is a nice feature, but it's pricey and the service could be improved. It's the only option around as it's an 18 mile ride over bumpy forest roads to reach the tourist areas of North Woodstock and Lincoln and equally far in the other direction to reach a store or restaurant. So be forewarned and bring your supplies.

The owners are Born Again Christians. The proselytizing was more annoying than offensive, although they do give every guest a pamphlet upon check-in that manages to denigrate Catholics (nice touch there) and the campground rules include this deathless line "If you MUST consume alcoholic beverages..." There's a weekly chapel service on Saturday evening but we didn't stick around for it.

Overall, it's a nice place for a day or two. We used it as a base to explore the Lincoln area. We liked the pool, the scenery and the quiet.

5 Thank Shawn C

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 October 2013

After being a seasonal for about 20 years, I sold my camper. This year I rented three weeks in the cabin suites. One week in July and two in August. The cabin was really fun. The kids loved the bunk beds, (few arguments as who got to sleep on the top!). The queen bed was comfortable too. Plenty of room for all of us. Bathroom was nice and clean. The outside kitchen was really nice. We definitely enjoyed that. At one point sitting on the porch/outdoor kitchen, a bear came up behind me. Probably six feet away. He didn't see me. I heard a slight noise and turned my head, and there he was. Unfortunately the minute I moved, wanted to get camera, he took off. So the kids missed seeing him up close. They looked out back window and saw him walking away! The site was really large. Had company for 2 nights, and they set up 2 big tents. We still had plenty of room. Neighbors were great. Kids met some other kids and had a great time. Overall absolutely nothing could have been better. They were 5 star weeks. So good, in fact, I bought a trailer and will be "resident" again! I hope for many years to come.

Room Tip: Book early and get a site close to the pool, game room, and store/office. Busy during the day but q...
2 Thank Sue G
Connecticut
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This was our second time visiting Moose Hillock. This is a great location for visiting area attractions. We visited Clark's Trading Post, Santa's Village and Lost River Gorge and Boulder Caves. My three boys (11, 8 and 6) love the pool and the stream that flowed right behind our campground. I have stayed at nicer campgrounds with cleaner restrooms but Moose Hillock meets our needs for location and entertainment/pool for the kids. Also, the staff were extremely helpful when our camper was having electrical issues. They went out of their way to help us obtain the part we needed. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank noworriesmom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This campground is amazing! My grandmother personally knows the owners and their sons, and everyone I saying the staff is rude? Their so nice!! The pool is clean and fun, the cites are big and private and the fire pits are so much fun! Everyone is saying how you HAVE to go to bed at 10:00, NO you don't ! That is just the quiet time, they just want you to not be loud so others can go to bed when they please. And another thing, WHO CARES IF YOU HAVE CELL SERVICE? YOUR CAMPING!!!! And is you HAVE to call someone, then use the pay phone for crying out loud! I have been camping there since I was bald, and I haven't had a single problem. And if anyone is saying that there is nothing to do at the campground, welllll you can swim, play in the arcade, take nature walks, sit under the bridge, go to the playground, and HAVE FUN AT YOUR CAMPSITE!!!! And also, you say that they MAKE you do the religious ceremonies on Saturday nights? NOPE!!! That is an option. All up to you!! Thank you very much ✌

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Korenaaaaaaa
Saint-Elie-de-Caxton, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We have been going to Moosehillock for the last 5 years. The sites are large and private, they allow more than one family on the sites which saves money for those on a budget. We go at least twice a year. The kids love the heated pool ( great on cool days) we love the Caribbean feel. My only concern is the speed limit at which campers drive. We stayed near the main entrance area and witnessed many cars drive by at dangerous speeds for a campground with a 5 mph speed limit. The campground is hilly and children and adults were whipping down the hills at crazy speeds on their bikes, I had to jump out of the way a couple of times. We were sure there would be an accident, it was a bit stressful at times. The staff as well drive fast on their gators. It would be nice to see them enforce the speed limit. i recommend stop signs at the intersections of their roads and speed bumps to slow people down.Aside from that the staff is courteous and friendly. We love the place and will always go back. Memories are made at Moosehillock!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Spawest226
Stratham, NH
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to Moose Hillock. The sites were a good size and nicely set up to offer privacy. The bathrooms were as clean as any we've found and were checked by staff constantly (our site was directly across from one).

There were plenty of activities for our kids (7 & 5) including the awesome heated outdoor pool with the pirate ship water slides (also a big hit with us adults), a good sized playground, stocked fishing pond, horseshoe pit, basketball court and volleyball net. There were also some hiking trails.

Only "negative" was a lack of a reliable wifi connection. There was a signal near the main building, but signal was weak. If you need to stay connected for work, like I do, be prepared checking a few emails may take longer than usual.

We will be back and highly recommend Moose Hillock!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

From the moment we arrived every experience here was superb. The checkin was quick and easy and very friendly. The campsite was huge and private, it was as if we were alone in paradise. We would highly recommend this campground to everyone!! Cannot wait to go back

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Judy N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lincoln East - White Mountains
Jack O'Lantern Resort
Jack O'Lantern Resort
#3 of 3 in Woodstock
Gilcrest Cottages and Motel

Been to Moose Hillock Campground? Share your experiences!