“Why bother making reservations 3 months ahead?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warren
Moose Hillock Campground
Reviewed 5 July 2014

ve always camped here with my daughter and grandchildren. In 2010 my daughter died and the grandkinds and I continued to camp on the same tent site and the same week every year. I would allways reserve well in advance to make sure of this. 2014 when we checked in they put us on a different site even though the reservations said the correct site, I was told, "sorry, someone else is on that site even though I see you are reserved for that site, there is nothing I can do".

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Dan L

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Let me start by saying that we are new to "camping" and this is only our second camping trip. We stayed at a KOA last year, but chose this campground because it was highly recommended by friends. First the positives: we stayed in a cabin suite and the outdoor kitchen was very nice. There was a lot to offer the kids (pool, hiking trails, playground, fishing). The pool was very large and clean, and my older son really enjoyed the water slides. The Natural Pool hiking trail was beautiful and the kids liked that they could go in the water (stream/brook). While you are given a religious pamphlet upon arrival and there is a chapel service offered, we didn't think it was too much or "in your face" at all. My husband enjoyed the line "If you must consume alcohol..." and we had a nice chuckle over some of the rules.

However, while I liked the layout of the cabin, it wasn't as clean as it could have been. We tried a couple of hiking trails and one was so poorly marked that we had to turn around and go back. The cafe was convenient, but it took a really long time to get our food. The cheeseburger was $8.50 and didn't even come with fries. We tried to get ice cream there during one of the activities (Bruce the Moose's Birthday Bash) but they wouldn't sell it to us because of the birthday party. Instead, we had to get in the very long line for the party ice cream, which was more expensive and very drippy by the time we got through the line. There were no cones and the flavor choices were very limited. Disappointing. While my son enjoyed fishing and went twice, they never caught anything except crayfish, and we didn't see anyone else catch any "real" fish either.

Overall, we had a decent experience. There were many seasonal campers there who were obviously enjoying themselves, so maybe it was just us. But if I were going to go camping again, I don't know if I would return here or try somewhere else.

Room Tip: The cabin suites have bathrooms; the rustic cabins do not
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JLStella
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I can only say great things about this campsite! It was the frist time out with our new-used trailer (we had tent camped until then), so needless to say, we had to deal with a big learning curve. After a mishap with the a water hose malfunction under the sink, Joe (the new owner) made multple visits to our site and got us back up and running with some quick thinking (he came up with a temporary replacement piece to seal the leak). He also returned to the a few times after to help us out when we needed it. Very professional and knowledgeable! By the end of our 3 day trip, it seemed like he personally knew everyone there! The campsite does have a stricter curfew than most, but with 2 young kids, it didn't affect us. We'll be returning for sure!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bugomoto
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Single mom, 2 children, tent site no hookups, 2 nights: This is a great camp ground for familes looking for a fun/low key camping experience. We have been to moose hill 3 times and we are going in a few weeks for our forth. I am by far, not a rugged out doorsie type. Four years ago I packed the car with a bunch of so called camping gear, a 7yo boy, and an 11 yo girl. The facility was very strict about check in/out time, noise, speed limit, alcohol etc.. Many campers may dislike this, but as a single mom I appreciated it. Honestly this is a family campground geared for kids. My kids are asleep by 10 anyway and after cooking, trail walking, swimming, and cleaning I need to sleep at 10 too. I loved that it was peaceful and I did not have to listen to people who were belligerently drunk till 2:00 am. The bathrooms are old but clean, the pool was a blast for the kids (could have been a little cleaner from my perceptive), the layout of the grounds was easy/ gated and safe (kids loved being above to ride bikes around/ do trail walks without supervision), kids loved fishing at the lake, they spent hours down there (I found the water gross and would never eat anything that came out of it). The cafe was mediocre, but one day it rained and it was wonderful to have a meal that I didn't need to stand outside in the rain to cook. Plus they had coffee (amazing coffee)!!!!!!! The staff was very helpful to me when I struggled to put up my tent, one of the rangers came to our site and pretty much put it up for me (thank goodness cause I clearly needed help). The store on site was very expensive, but had many of the supplies (fire starter, wood, matches, pan etc) that I did not even think to bring my first trip. All in all I love this place and would recommend to families that have fun because their kids are having fun. Pointers: bring everything with you (closest store is 20miles away), bring bikes for kids, quarters, shower caddy/ toliet paper, and flip flops, drive to the lost river or polar caves, bring bate.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Chacha117
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Ok, don't even get me started. This review is coming from a 13 year old girl.. But I absolutely love this campground. I have literally been camping here since the days that I do not remember. I do not understand people who don't like this campground, I have stayed in it all- camper, tent, cabin, see I've done it all. My grandmother sold her previous camper and we sadly went a summer without a camper. So, we stayed in a cabin. My best friend, Abby, and I still did our annual "Spa Day" (don't ask) and nothing was different. The pool was a great activity to do with everyone, and so was the basketball court (because I love basketball and I'm pretty good). So, dear anyone out there that thinks this campground is not "good", you're right. It's AMAZING. So I'm looking forward to this year because we have a new camper and a new cite that we call "Paradise."

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Korena Y
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

The last time my family stayed here we stayed by the "pond". It was very dark and murky. Though we did see a great blue herring. My brothers bike was stolen and was found in the woods with its handles a little slashed. Not the managements fault but something to think of when going there. Also my sister put in some money for a game and it wasn't working. The person at the desk said it was out of order (though it did not say it on the game) we asked here if we could have our money back and she gave it to us but with a real attitude. I had stayed here once before with my cousins and really liked it so I was disappointed with my second trip.

Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank jkaufman150
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Moose Hillock was recommended to us by a fellow camper at Normandy Farms Camping Resort in MA (fantastic place, btw). We had reservations at another New Hampshire campground, but decided to cut that stay short and move to Moose Hillock. I phoned for a reservation and I have to say the woman on the phone was a bit odd (and none-too-friendly) but I wrote it off. We arrived at Moosehillock on a Weds and stayed for 3 nights.

First, the pluses: It's beautifully situated, heavily wooded, and surrounded on (I believe) two sides by National forests. Very quiet. The sites are large and very clean with natural stone fireplaces. The much-touted Tropical Pool was lots of fun for our 11-year-old son, but overall it's very shallow (no serious swimming) and, oddly, there's no separate "kiddie pool" for the toddlers. The bathrooms were decent if nothing to write home about.

The not-so-great points: We got a long lecture upon arrival about how they usually don't take last minute reservations, we should have arrived precisely at check-in time or they would charge us for early arrival (!), etc, etc. All this delivered in a hectoring tone by a Sunday School teacher type woman. So that definitely set the tone and made for a warm and inviting welcome. There are apparently some planned activities, entertainment, etc. but they are oddly reticent about letting the campers know. The information is hard to come by. No schedule or signs posted anywhere (the info is on their website, I found out later.)

There's no hot water available ANYWHERE at this campground besides in the pay showers (bring quarters). Even the laundry room is all cold wash. Understandable (they are in the mountains, after all) but something they could let you know in advance. The poolside cafe is a nice feature, but it's pricey and the service could be improved. It's the only option around as it's an 18 mile ride over bumpy forest roads to reach the tourist areas of North Woodstock and Lincoln and equally far in the other direction to reach a store or restaurant. So be forewarned and bring your supplies.

The owners are Born Again Christians. The proselytizing was more annoying than offensive, although they do give every guest a pamphlet upon check-in that manages to denigrate Catholics (nice touch there) and the campground rules include this deathless line "If you MUST consume alcoholic beverages..." There's a weekly chapel service on Saturday evening but we didn't stick around for it.

Overall, it's a nice place for a day or two. We used it as a base to explore the Lincoln area. We liked the pool, the scenery and the quiet.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Shawn C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warren
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lincoln East - White Mountains
InnSeason Resorts Pollard Brook
The Kancamagus Lodge
The Kancamagus Lodge
#8 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Moose Hillock Campground? Share your experiences!