“Great place to stay for Hockey Tournament”
Review of Black Bear Lodge

Black Bear Lodge
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Black Bear Lodge was very hockey friendly. They have conference rooms available to rent for team pizza parties. They also made a room available just for knee hockey that was free to all teams. The accommodations suited us. The pool was a bit small but the kids loved the fact they could swim to the outside.

The location to the rink, restaurants and shops was a 5 minute walk. Very convenient.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

I'm glad you and your team enjoyed the facilities. The knee hockey room has been a huge hit this winter. It's great to see it become a popular amenity. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and for sharing your experience. We hope to see you again soon for another great tournament weekend.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This year was our 2nd time celebrating New Years Eve at the Black Bear Lodge - and we will certainly be back again. The ski and stay package is perfect for a group or family. Such a great deal and you can't beat the convenience. Both condos that we have rented were very clean and modern - granite counters in the kitchen, updated decorations, and always clean. This is a rare find in a "ski condo".

Overall - a great place to stay and we will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your continued loyalty to Black Bear Lodge. Please let us know if we can assist you at all for your next Escape to Waterville Valley.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Our family of four stayed in a deluxe suite (the only unit available for our selected time of travel), and it was wonderful! We paid a little more, but were delighted that we could book a suite at such a busy time of year. We thoroughly enjoyed the spaciousness of the unit, especially the living room area, and the convenience of having amenities like a full-size refrigerator, stove & cooking utensils available to us. The staff were courteous & helpful and we enjoyed the lovely cross-country skiing and ice skating. The proximity of the lodge to the 'town' was great. There was an abundance of great DVDs in the unit, and we relaxed in the evening watching these. I wish there was a real fireplace in the lodge, however! Would definitely recommend Black Bear Lodge to others--

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you very much for your great review. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, the facility, and the services of Waterville Valley. Please let us know if we can assist you at all for your next visit.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My family of four has stayed at the Black Bear many times, and we keep coming back. The Lodge itself is good, the rooms in general are pretty plain but meet our needs well - I really like having a "room" that has a separate bedroom and some kitchen facilities to keep costs down a bit on an otherwise-expensive skiing vacation. I have never minded the simplicity (think dorm furniture) of the rooms given the beating they take with everyone there for outdoor activity and fun. this time we stayed in a loft unit, which was particularly nice and WELL worth the price upgrade (I think about $30). We've found restaurant options in Waterville Valley kind of limited - they have a little store in the town square that has some stuff; but consider bringing along a couple of bags of groceries yourself for simple breakfasts and dinners. Kids LOVE the indoor-outdoor pool. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Consider shelling out the extra $ for the loft units - they are nicer. Also, we like being on a hig...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I'm glad you were able to experience one of our newly upgraded units. A lot of people find the extra space of our units to be very helpful. I'm glad you did too. Thank you for your continued loyalty to Black Bear Lodge. We will look forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My family of six stayed in a loft unit. It was perfect. We purchased a ski-and-stay package in October. It included lift tickets and passes to the health club and the ice skating rink (skate rentals $5; nothing like the price at Rockefeller Center.) Fantastic value and a great time.
If you are not familiar with the area, it is perfect for families. There is an indoor-outdoor pool, sauna, and welcoming fire and rocking chairs in the lobby. You can cross country ski, snow shoe, or walk over to the activities at Town Square which include sleigh rides. I do not downhill ski and I still have a ball at this place.
This is definitely for families, not a great destination for couples as the restaurant choices are limited.

Room Tip: For extra space and privacy, go with a loft room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It sounds like you were able to get out and enjoy a lot of the activities that Waterville Valley has to offer. I'm glad the Black Bear Lodge and Waterville Valley as a whole were able to meet your needs so well. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you and your family again in the very near future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Just came back today from 5 day stay at Black Bear Lodge. Bottom line: we enjoyed our stay at the Lodge and don't have any complaints. The rooms are spacious and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. A few of the other aspects we really liked were: the free shuttle service every 15 min's to the ski area; the hotel's arrangement with the Waterville Valley Fitness center for free usage. The Fitness Center is large and has everything we needed to include lap pool, Jacuzzi, good size weight training room, and massage availability for a very reasonable price. My daughter and I each got a 30 min massage for $40 per person. It was well worth the money. By the way, we tried each one of the Waterville restaurants and the best one was easily the Coyote Grill. The menu had a good variety and the food tasted great - excellent value!

Don't know how the other lodges in the area are, but you can't go wrong with the Black Bear Lodge. The only reason I didn't give the lodge a 5, is because it wasn't as modern as a few others I've stayed in over the years. That being said, it definitely wouldn't impact my decision to stay there again. I would return without hesitation; alone for the suite accomodations and to be spoiled by Charlene, Susan, and the rest of the staff. By the way, I forgot to ask if it was an employee from the lodge, but on the morning after a night of heavy snowfall, I walked out to our car and noticed that someone had cleared the snow off the windows of every vehicle in the lot. If that was part of the lodges 'hospitality', I can only commend them for going out of their way to make this a fantastic stay.

Anthony,
Thank you so much for your great review. I'm incredibly glad to hear the Black Bear Lodge met all of your needs and that you were able to get out and enjoy some of the great services that Waterville Valley has to offer. We are still in the process of updating every chance we get so I hope we will be able to earn a perfect review with you on your next visit. We'll look forward to seeing you again very soon. Have a great New Year.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We went to Waterville Valley Black Bear with a group of families for New Years. Our accommodations were so horrific we could not stay there as a family. There were no other units available so we had to move to the Golden Eagle Lodge and were separated from our group which really put a damper on our vacation. Our unit was in the basement. It was exactly what you would expect from a basement - dark with florescent lighting, dingy and noisy. On top of that the unit itself was disgusting, like a seedy motel. The furnishings were sparse and cheap, the bed linens were ancient and the flooring was scratchy industrial carpeting and stained linoleum. The pool is in the basement so we could smell chlorine. The only reason I am even rating our very limited stay as poor instead of terrible is because the staff was understanding and refunded our money, the other parties in our group did have acceptable to nice rooms and the lodge itself was decent. My advice is make sure you know where your unit is and ask for pictures. It was unacceptable for the Black Bear Lodge to rent that room to a family for close to $300/night. There should be minimum standards for unit upkeep and guests should be informed if they are going to be in a basement because I don't think anyone expects that on a vacation stay.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not in the basement and if possible ask for pictures. If you have standards...
1  Thank Danany2014
Matt H, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at Black Bear Lodge. I am glad you were able to find accommodations that fit you needs in the Valley. We are working towards a plan to update the 1st floor to reduce that basement feeling. We have a lot of outstanding units on the 1st floor, but I do understand the mood and concern that the basement can create. Since every unit is an independently owned condo we have many different options. We are working with all the owners to better the Black Bear Lodge standards and many improvements have occurred over the past 7 months. I really appreciate your time in writing this review. We are very responsive to your concerns and suggestions. I hope we are able to earn a second chance with to show you the Black Bear Lodge experience we work so hard to maintain.

With my sincerest apologies,

The Village Of Loon Mountain
Golden Eagle Lodge
Golden Eagle Lodge
#1 of 5 in Waterville Valley

Been to Black Bear Lodge? Share your experiences!