“Abandoned at the inn”

Best Western Silver Fox Inn
Reviewed 5 January 2013

When we arrived with two kids and a dog in tow (having been promised one of the two "pet" rooms), the hotel could not find our reservation. I am quite sure that the fault was not ours, because we made the reservation by phone (due to the need for the pet room), I began the conversation by affirming that I had the correct place, and my husband was in the same room when I I made the reservation. Furthermore, our credit card company could find no evidence that another hotel submitted a pre-authorization request.
Of course, everyone makes mistakes; however, the real test is how one deals with these mistakes. In this case, the hotel refused to admit any responsibility; indeed, the passive aggressive elderly woman behind the desk immediately became both defensive and insulting, assuring us that the hotel could not possibly have made a mistake and that we had to have made an error. The owner finally called a nearby hotel, which had a room for the first night, but did nothing to help us make another reservation. We have never experienced such shabby treatment from a hotel and it was hardly what one would hope for from a New Hampshire inn.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CJM51
torze, Owner at Best Western Silver Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

I am so disappointed to read your comments. As I stated when you arrived there had been no reservation made in your name nor was any credit card per-authorization done. I am still completely mystified but as you note mistakes do happen. If the fault was ours, please accept my apologies again. I went to great lengths to find accommodations that would accept your pet. As there were only 2 rooms remaining in the entire valley I'm thankful I could accommodate you. It was unfortunate that we were not able to accommodate your second night as the entire valley was and had been booked for quite some time. I hope you will give us another chance to show you why Trip Advisor ranks us the #1 accommodation in Waterville Valley by staying with us again in the future. On a final note, the front-desk employee you spoke of and the rest of my staff have read this review and I have used your comments as a valuable training tool to emphasize the importance of courtesy at all times and to all guests regardless of the stress of the moment. My staff will be even better as a result. Thank you.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

This hotel was recommended to us by Valleysnowdogz.com when we reserved for trips with them next year and we were extremely pleased. The handicap friendly room was indeed close to the kitchen, but we were not bothered by any noises in the morning. Our kingsized bed and the room and bathroom were very comfortable. The breakfast was outstanding ! Our hostess had made a delicious cheese soufflé as well as a delicious blueberry pie, there was a large variety of breads and preserves and the dining area overlooked the deck and mountains. The staff is friendly and welcoming and we regretted having to stay just for one night. We will definitely be back. We can highly recommend this place for people of all ages.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tabachnikoff

Thank you! We take pride in our family owned and operated hotel. Your "hostess", my wife Susan, was a chef in another life and currently owns a catering company that serves the entire region. As a result, we think our guests get some of the best prepared meals in the valley. I will share your comments with my boss, er, my wife, and the rest of my staff. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Waterville Valley accommodations can be pricey and I was able to get a very good price on this room on the Best Western website. I was a little worried as I can be a bit of a hotel snob and thought the low price could mean low quality......this hotel was WONDERFUL. Clean (VERY CLEAN), newer carpeting, curtains and furniture in the rooms. Comfortable beds. The continental breakfast is the best I have ever had with wonderful, homemade eggs, pie, waffles, fresh cut fruit and pastries, bagels and cereal. The front desk was very accommodating and gave me a late check out. It is within quick walking distance to Waterville Valley (the Town) and is on the shuttle route for the ski resort. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone headed this way.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate K

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I will share your comments with my entire staff to illustrate that their hard work and attention to our guests every need do not go unnoticed.

Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed here for one night, wish it were more. The owners were very pleasant and helpful. They were great to talk with. The scenery from the deck was lovely. GPS WARNING!!! If your GPS or google maps give you the option of taking TRIPOLI RD...DO NOT TAKE IT!! It is small wooded rd the becomes a dirt road full of deep ruts half way thru..It was very stressful to drive.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you! I wish we had as much control over Google maps and the GPS's of the world as we do our little inn. We're glad you arrived safely, albeit I'm sure with a bit of angst if you came via Tripoli Rd. We really appreciate your comments and I will make sure my entire staff is aware of your kind words. We hope you come back and visit us again.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We booked last minute for one night during a road trip around New England. Staff upon check in couldn't have been more friendly or helpful, recommending places to eat and visit. We were offered evening wine, cheese, lemonade and cookies in the cosy lounge area - the open fire would be super in Winter! We ended up in an accessible room near the kitchen, but we did book last minute and a bus tour had taken up most of the rooms. The bed was huge and very comfortable, not noisy even though beside kitchen. Breakfast was tasty and filling. A friendly fat cat roams about so keep that in mind if you're allergic etc. Overall a very pleasant stay with friendly staff in a lovely, quiet area. Would return for skiing.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. The wine and cheese social to which you referred is very popular as you probably noted from the size of the gathering. It makes for a great opportunity to meet the other guests who are lucky enough to discover our lovely little inn. Next time you're in America stop by and say hello.

Reviewed 10 October 2012

We booked a room for an amazing price for Columbus Day weekend and we only had to book for one night, unlike pretty much everywhere else! We only wish that a few tiny things were different - our hairdryer didn't work, but a replacement was provided and there wasn't a pack and play for our infant. We brought one just in case. But everyone was so nice and they even upgraded our room for free. There were snacks in the afternoon provided by the sweet innkeepers who live there. We will most definately be going back!!!

Room Tip: If your type of room isn't available, call and ask. That's how we got our larger bed!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time to leave such nice words. I'm particularly gratified that I was described as "sweet" a fact I will promptly remind my boss/wife. We hope you took the opportunity eat breakfast on the deck where the views are just spectacular. Please come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed in the Silver Fox Inn for 2 nights in August and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel was charming, particularly the lounge area and we loved the complimentary wine and cheese. Breakfast was varied and of a good standard. The location was beautiful with lots of activities to do. We'd love to visit again during the ski season!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always so excited to receive guests from afar. We're glad you chose us and hope that we see you again some day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterville Valley
Best Western White Mountain Inn
Rivergreen Resort Hotel
Rivergreen Resort Hotel
#19 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Best Western Silver Fox Inn? Share your experiences!