“Beautiful area and great spot!”
Review of Snowy Owl Inn

Snowy Owl Inn
Concord, New Hampshire, United States
“Beautiful area and great spot!”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I recently took a trip to Waterville Valley and I had a great time at the Snowy Owl Inn! The staff were great and the accommodations were exactly what I was looking for. The rustic lodge is great for family gatherings and trips. Its also right near Waterville Valley and some nice area attractions!

Room Tip: There are huge rooms for families which is nice - ask for the big room!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KyleBattis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Snowy Owl is a large, impersonal resort. There is minimal staff staff input, some people found their keys left with a note on reception. It seemed to be pretty much run by one very busy man. It's noisy due to the creaky wooden construction. The hot tub had a very noisy pump so not very relaxing. Breakfast is cling-filmed doughnuts & muffins plus coffee/juice, serve yourself. The location is stunning, especially with snow on the top of the mountains. A good base for lots of local attractions. Rather more like a youth hostel than a hotel. Generous communal areas so probably good for big groups/families.

Room Tip: The top floor would probably be the quietest location.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 5 November 2012

THis inn was a example of strange contrasts! Ex#1 The room we had contained a fridge but no coffeemaker. I cannot get "regular" w/o coffee. Had to go all the way downstairs at 6am to get some. Room was nice but food service was just ordinaryEx#2. Breakfast was not so good. It could be that I was with a bus tour with 40 people and we got"group rate treatment" On the plus side,inn is nestled in a beautiful village in the White Mountains. Fabulous views in all directions, shops were really nice,rustic and quaint,great organic breakfast place where we went to avoid hotel breakfast Ex#3 Inn needs some rehab with carpeting,walls etc..

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 September 2012

we had a great time and it was a perfect wedding in the beginning of September. there is so much stuff to do in the area it is like a village at the top of a mountain. we went ice skating, boating, up the ski lift to walk the trails to the waterfall. my dad went golfing and there is a bar right next door. I got a massage in the athletics center on the other side of the village (in walking distance), went swimming there and at the inn. It's an older place but I found it to be quite quaint. all the activities made up for the cost. I read some of these other reviews and I didn't have any moldy smell and I was close to the pool in the lowest floor in the pet friendly rooms. I was expecting the room to smell like dog pee but it didn't so I was pleasantly surprised. I suggest this place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank snarff6
richmond ri
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We were greeted by rude desk staff and sent to a hot smelly room with stains all over the carpet they also charged us for the free passes we were supposed to get for bike and canoe rental etc we checked out immediately and the hotel management has been refusing to document our complaints or refund our money it was a huge mistake to book in advance they charged us for 2 nights and we didn't stay for any! Stay away!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Denise487

Travellers are raving about these Waterville Valley hotels

Edwardsburg, Michigan
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed for 5 nights at the Snowy Owl Inn to do some hiking in the White Mts; my family was busy with other activities so it was just me.
The Pros:
Location. If you have ever stayed in the Waterville Valley, you know it's a lovely location surrounded by beautiful mountains, including 4000 footers. The Inn is right next to a shopping center with a variety of restaurants, an ice cream parlor, and various sports, etc. shops, There is an excellent small grocery store with wonderful cheeses, lunch meats, wines, etc. at reasonable prices.
I stayed in one of their regular rooms rather than a suite and it was a reasonable size. The mini refrigerator was helpful, and I was very pleased to find that there were a couple of microwaves that were available for use in the common rooms. The common rooms are typical of a ski lodge type environment and quite nice.
The room comes with a free pass for many activities such as ice skating, 2 hour mtn bike rental, etc. Although I was busy hiking and did not use the pass, it would be great for a family.
The pool, though small, was clean and the hot tub felt great after a long day of hiking.
I arrived late at night and the staff had kindly left the key out on the counter for me with directions to me room.
The cons:
The entire hotel smells musty. I have asthma, and I could really feel the effects of the mildew/must.
The bed was uncomfortable, but typical of 80s-era hotel beds.
Noise: There were children running around constantly in the room above until late at night and early in the morning, and I heard every step. If you stay at the Inn, ask for a room on the top floor if you don't want to deal with poor ceiling sound insulation.
The continental breakfast was disgusting. The only thing that looked at all healthy or appetizing was a pitcher of orange juice which unfortunately turned out to be of the canned variety. The plastic-wrapped doughnuts and muffins looked unhealthy. I'd suggest that the hotel either try to do a more reasonable job or cut the price by a couple of dollars and ditch the awful breakfast. Fortunately, I had stopped at a grocery store en route and had milk, cereal, yogurt, and fruit for breakfast.
I must admit that the Snowy Owl is better than other hotels I've stayed at for Gordon Conferences in Waterville Valley because the air conditioning actually worked, an important consideration given that summers can be hot and humid even in New Hampshire.
Some renovations, better mildew/must control, and ditching the 'breakfast' would go a long way. This hotel has real possibilities given the excellent location and the free activities passes. The staff could also be a lot friendlier/more pleasant... but maybe they were just disgruntled by the Curious George weekend which occurred during my visit.

Room Tip: Expect a good deal of noise to come through the ceiling if you are on a lower floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Trisha M
New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

I booked a room here for my family to attend the Curious George festival weekend. The staff was nice when we checked in. They offered juice, cheese and crackers in the lobby which I thought was a nice touch. We got to our room and I thought we stepped back to 1985. I think that the last time the room was renovated. The room was clean but just hopelessly outdated - yellow Formica countertop sink (with the obligatory bottle opener), a TV on a stand that swivels and red carpeting that was poorly cut. The room had just one tiny window so it felt stuffy and dingy. There was a ton of common spaces which my husband and I thought would be great for groups but then there wasn't much to do in those spaces like a pool or ping pong table or even just a few board games and a TV.

I took my daughter to the pool and that was nice, there were two hot tubs, one was drained and the other was questionable looking.

I would book again, maybe, just for the location. It was great to be close to all the festivities at the town square without having to drive. Otherwise, it was not worth the price.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
#10 of 20 in Lincoln
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#20 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Snowy Owl Inn? Share your experiences!