“Cozy, welcoming, and affordable!”
Review of Snowy Owl Inn

Snowy Owl Inn
New Jersey
“Cozy, welcoming, and affordable!”
Reviewed 3 March 2011

My husband and I first stayed here for part of our honeymoon. We wanted to visit Waterville Valley because he had been there during the winter with his family, and he was interested in seeing it in the summer. We chose Snowy Owl because it was the cheapest place we could find there, and we ended up loving it! It was usually very quiet, and even when a couple of large family groups came during our second trip there, everyone observed the "quiet hours" (after 10pm I believe). It has a ski lodge kind of ambiance but they offer a summer package that includes freebies in the local area - golf, bicycling, kayak rental, and ice skating are a few of the things they you can do using the "summer unlimited" card that they give out at checkin. It's a low-key, cozy atmosphere so if you want something super fancy it may not be for you - but it was right up our alley! My favorite part was the "book nooks" - it's an oddly shaped building and there are many little lounge-like areas tucked away on the different floors where you can choose a book off one of the bookshelves and read. We enjoyed it there so much that after we moved on to Maine for the rest of our honeymoon, we decided to return to Snowy Owl and do some hiking in the White Mountains. The area is gorgeous in summer and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We come here every winter! It is a nice ski lodge that is very comfortable and VERY clean. Don't listen to the bad reviews about this place because I promise you, you will be more than satisfied. However, it is not extremely luxurious because, well, it's a ski lodge. If you are a person who needs "finer accomadations" this hotel isn't necessarily for you. The whole hotel has a rustic and traditional feel to it. Our family knows the staff quite well, and they are very nice people. Now on to the features: An indoor pool, and two indoor hot tubs, saunas, Wifi, continental breakfast, and an option to have a full paid breakfast. Some rooms have jacuzzis and all rooms have Cable TVs, air conditioning/heat, and a great view. It is in a great location that is right next to the town square. The town square has bookstores, restaurants, a coffee shop, jewelry stores, a grocery store, and many activities like sleigh rides and bonfires. The hotel is also right near Mount Tecumseh. If you are looking for a nice place to stay, but don't have the money to visit more expensive places or rent a condo, this is for you. It's quiet, clean and comfortable, with lots of amenities.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
USA
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Just stayed at the Snowy Owl Inn, and am looking forward to going back. I used a coupon - probably the same one a not so happy fellow lodger used. (Coupon terms IS that the coupon is printed out for the Inn, along with ID etc.) I found the staff to be nice. We hiked all day then took a long nap, missing dinner. The night manager helped us phone different restaurants around 10:00 pm to find a restaurant open. It was really nice of him. We did find a pizza place in Lincoln and since the Tripoli road gates were still open, decided to go up there.

The inn has a gas fireplace in the main lobby. The furnishings are not expensive, they are lodge-like! The carpeting is sensible instead of being beautifly - but the Inn IS for skiiers/snowboarder so I imagine the carpet is wet alot especially in the winter. We stayed in a Pet Friendly room which had 2 queen beds - (comfortable), a small refrigerator and a jacuzi tub. There was no microwave but we found one to use near the pool area. I do wish there was a coffee maker though since Coffee is not put out until 7:30 AM. Otherwise the room was fine. Its nice to be able to take our dog with us. The indoor pool and hot tub were wonderful after our long walk, great for aching bones. We paid for the hot breakfast buffet the next morning, which was quite good. There wasn't a whole lot but it has the basic choices of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes french toast oatmeal, danish, breads, bagles, cereal, fresh fruit, juices, water and coffee. No omelet station though.

One of the nicest thing about the inn is the location. It is right next to the Town Square which does offer alot of stores. Its an outdoor 2 story mall with all of the stores and restaurants within a courtyard. I don't know how many of the stores are open now during the off season. We only stopped in the book store and a clothing store.

The Inn is also located on the shuttle line for the mountain and within walking distance or a short drive of many hiking trails.

This is a great place for people who like to walk, golf, ski, hike. Just don't expect it to be a beautiful 4-5 star hotel, because its not. Its a ski lodge.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We came to this hotel in an off-season and walked into the hotel only to be greeted by what seemed to be all (three) of the hotel staff talking to one another with their back to the door. They seemed bothered by my arrival to the place! After they finally dispersed, the front desk person looked on his computer and asked me if I was me (I assume I was the only one checking in that day). I came with an online coupon, and the man seemed surprised I hadn't brought the coupon with me (despite usually being able to show businesses the coupons on my phone). What was supremely odd about this man is that he treated me like a second-class citizen and wouldn't even let me check into the room without having me get him the coupon. He told me to go to another room to print it out, and as I proceeded to do so, he stopped me and said "let me make sure you're not going to bother anyone in there" and stopped me from printing it out there. Okay, so he was going to let me go to the room and print it out the next morning (the only seemingly nice thing he's done so far), so we take the key, ask for a place to eat, and on our way back into the hotel, this man again catches me and tells me that he wants the coupon after all. He instructs me to use his computer, but the keyboard doesn't work. Then he has me use a second computer. When I finally print out the coupon, he doesn't say anything. I ask if he got the coupon, and he monotonously said "yes". We then finally got into the room, which included a dresser, a lamp, and an old 13-inch TV on a TV stand from the 80's. There isn't enough room for anything in the room, so the TV is placed underneath a staircase. The channels are ALL cloudy, and the TV CAME ON BY ITSELF in the morning (mostly likely due to an internal alarm or something. The dresser drawers have some kind of mold in them, as did the shower, and around the bathtub. The continental breakfast consisted of a few stale plastic-wrapped month-old (at least) muffins and trans-fat donuts thrown onto a counter in the lobby. They are certainly going all out with the rustic theme. The kleenex, toilet tissue, face soap, and shampoo (no conditioner or bath soap) are all bargain brand that you might find in a motel. All the furnishings also look like they are from an off-the-highway motel as well. The hotel hallways are pretty creepy, as there are probably three staff who work here, none of the fireplaces were lit despite it being 33 degrees outside, etc. etc. etc. This place really sucks. Need I even go on. To make it worse, the little town is like a celebrity's failed real estate project. There are about three stores at this little "town square," and not much else here. The only upside of this entire thing, we only paid something like 60 dollars for the room (still too much if you ask me). I don't know much about other hotels or lodges here, but try not to stay here!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank sflow15

Travellers are raving about these Waterville Valley hotels

New Hampton, NH
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We just returned from spending Columbus Day Weekend at the Snowy Owl Inn with 49 friends and relatives where we held a surprise 40th birthday party for my husband. It was AMAZING! I visited over a dozen venues looking for just the right location to host this party. I wanted a place with lots of comfortable spaces for our family to gather in groups to hang out, play games and socialize. We needed a place that was kid friendly and had lots of activities and local attractions to keep everyone entertained. I also wanted an experienced manager and event planners that were easy to work with and would help me make this an event to remember. I found it all at the Snowy Owl Inn. Tracy, the group sales planner and Steve, the inn General Manager were fantastic. From my first phone call they were very helpful and informative. When I told them I wanted to stop by to check the place out later that day they told me to come on up. I arrived within 1 hour and was given a personal tour by Steve. He showed me all the inn had to offer along with many of the different room types our guests would be able to choose from (including pet friendly rooms). By the very next day I received an email from Tracy with rooms, rates, menus to choose from and a complete explanation of what was included for the prices quoted – including options for our vegetarian guests. The food was fantastic. The servers were very pleasant and efficient. Even when they had to dodge a couple of overly excited kids in attendance while carrying full trays, they did it with a smile. Everything they promised was delivered exactly as (or better than) expected including assistance with an outside entertainer we hired and setting up a video screen for a video we wanted to show. They even helped me with a couple of little white lies that needed to be told to my husband to keep his party a complete surprise. All in all everything went off without a hitch. My husband was completely surprised and the 49 guests in attendance had a GREAT time. If you are looking for a great venue with a casual atmosphere and fantastic staff, the Snowy Owl Inn is the place to go!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I started going to the Snowy Owl in 1977, and as another reviewer mentioned, it has been ridden hard and put up wet over the years. In its defense, public areas in a ski resort lodge take a beating during the season....you can't replace the carpet every time muddy skis and boots get dragged through.

Despite some tattered rugs, I LOVE all the common space at the Owl...its a nice way to meet your fellow travelers. Sure, the chablis & rose reception isn't exactly a Napa tasting, but who cares? I thought the rooms were in much better condition that the common areas. Also, the hotel was SILENT during our stay despite being almost full.

I thought the staff was nice, just sparse...it looked like the same crew of 5 people were working the desk, cleaning rooms and manning the restaurant. These guys and gals saved the day for me, rescuing a forgotten stuffed animal and mailing it back to us the next day. Deeply thankful...can't imagine any other place doing that.

Location is right next door to Town Square with all the shops and restaurants, so we didn't hit the restaurant. Probably safe for breakfast if you don't like the free continental spread (which I thought was great).

Overall a good time. It looks like they are updating the place from the outside in, so it's only going to get better with time. If you're headed to WV and don't want to break the bank, I definitely suggest the Snowy Owl.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank hbandp
Mass
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Have never seen such a lazy staff, refused to assist lodgers, wouldn’t even open the door for a lodger in a wheel chair. I’ve had better treatment in 3rd world hotels. Lame!! I’d rather sleep in my car!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
#10 of 20 in Lincoln
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
#20 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Snowy Owl Inn? Share your experiences!