“Have to disagree - staff was very friendly and helpful”

Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
Reviewed 14 November 2007

We just returned from our 2 night stay at the Mountain View Grand. After reading most of the reviews we expected the staff to be unfriendly and unhelpful. This was not the case at all. Everybody was very caring and friendly. We had a room at the first floor with the view to the back of the hotel which was fine and not as bad as described in one of the reviews here. Our rate was also supposed to be a room with two double beds but we called in advance and asked for a king bed which was not a problem. The room itself was not big but nicely furnished, clean and had a big bathroom, a lot of nice towels... nothing to complain about. There were no bathrobes in the closet when we arrived but after asking at the front desk they were delivered five minutes later. Also our dining experience was very positive. We did not wait long and the food was very good, prices reasonable. The hotel offers indeed a lot for children as already mention in one of the last reviews. After we had left we realized that we had forgotten our cell phone in the room and the housekeeping sent it to us via UPS same day delivery - with no additional charge.
We can highly recommend the hotel.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank aschieck

Reviewed 5 November 2007

Great grand old hotel, remodeled, fantastic views, great location. Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable.

We're not complainers, stay in a lot of hotels, and roll with most punches but the service staff needs training. They were pleasant and tried hard to please for the most part, but in a lot of instances couldn't deliver. One night for dinner in the tavern it took over an hour and a half to get our food. They tried very hard to make up for it , but it was a tough one to overcome. Sometimes there were pleasant surprises, mostly with the bartenders.

A lot to do here with kids, wish we had found it when our kids were younger. From the movie theater to the pools, to the scheduled games and other events, the great croquet court, to the very nice tennis courts the hotel was very nice and really delivered. The smores outside by the open fire at night were really special. The golf course and the carts aren't great (even good) but it was fun for my family who doesn't golf very much and much more than reasonable.

Frank the bellhop (or front door attendant) was great, always willing to grab me another cup of their great free coffee which was even more pleasant early in the morning on that fantastic front porch. Get up early if you want a newspaper (they do need to improve on this advertised item). In the evening the porch was even more spectacular with a great glass of wine or a good beer at night (they are very reasonable on their drink prices too) and they were always willing to get you more. It was also great to sit in one of their many adirondack chairs over near the golf course and look at the mountains and the smoke from the cog railroad.

We had a very relaxing and fun vacation and will definitely go back!

If you demand top notch service and don't have patience for frequent service snafus, I suggest you go elsewhere. If you're looking for a fun, clean, safe place for your family or spend a weekend with your loved one at a place with plenty to do and a real relaxing environment, you found it.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Hittinlong
Reviewed 24 October 2007

Driving up the long driveway, we were "wowed" by the outside of the hotel, the grounds and the view. All appearances suggested we were at a place perfectly suited for a romantic fall weekend.

At check-in, we asked what the view from our room would be and we were told it was of the back of the grounds- of the Killkenny Mountain range. The hotel clerk even looked us right in the eye when she said it. I asked about the beds and she said our room rate only came with double beds- not terrible, but not great considering it was our anniversary.

When we entered our room, we went straight for the window (remember this hotel is called MOUNTAIN VIEW Grand Resort and is a 4-star hotel during foliage season) and found to our horror that our only view was that of a flat, big, tar paper roof and of great big ventilation fans that hummed continuously. I almost cried.

So consequently, we spent almost all of our time outside the room- in the library or on the front porch- which would be nice if it was our choice, but we really didn't have a choice if we wanted to see a tree or a blade of grass.

And last, but not least, there were great staff members and horrible staff members and you could never tell which you were going to face.

I ordered oatmeal from the breakfast menu and got a bowl of cream with oatmeal in it... not a problem unless it doesn't say so on the menu and you are allergic to dairy. When I told the waitress I couldn't eat it, she said that's how it was made and what did I want her to do about it? She then said if they made if from scratch (a big deal, I guess), it would be a very long while before I got my food (it was sort of a threat, I think). Other staff members seemed confused by our questions of why a certain event (published on an activity sheet handed out) wasn't happening and in no hurry to make it better.

5  Thank adobemoes
Reviewed 18 October 2007

My 4 days stay at the Mountain grand view was exquisite. The gorgeous views, beautifully renovated hotel with all that it offers, the friendly and helpful staff and wonderful cuisine, all contributed to a perfect mini vacation. Totally relaxing and welcoming. Frank, our bellman went above and behond the call of the duty.The hotel has kept its beauty and charm. What a great place to visit, I plan to return again this winter to snowmobile and sit by the fireplace and relax.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2007

My husband and I greatly enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Mountain View. Unlike some other reviewers, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The bellman, Jonathan, went out of his way to take our pictures with the grounds and hotel in the background. The desk clerk asked about our day and where we were going and gave helpful advice. I would recommend our corner room on the first floor as we had our own balcony with table and lounge chairs and marvelous view. Although the dinner in the main restaurant was a bit overpriced, the food was very good. My only complaint was that the early morning traffic was a little noisy. But we would definitely return for another stay.

Reviewed 15 October 2007

We just returned this afternoon from our first stay at the MVG. Overall we really enjoyed it there. We plan on going back, as we were looking for a nice place we could go in the winter to snowmobile, snowshoe, etc, and they have plenty of separate trails for each. The views are fabulous and renovations impressive. Like someone said, nice without feeling like a museum. All the public rooms such as the parlor, library, movie theater, game and billiard rooms were cozy and welcoming, and they have a state of the art fitness area with plenty of equipment. Our room was a higher rate, but spacious, welcoming, and had it's own radiant heat so we could turn it on and warm up quickly on a cool fall morning. They have complimentary coffee in the morning, as well as hot cider and cookies in the afternoon.

Now for the not so good....
Service wasn't great. The young girl at the front desk had no personality, no enthusiasm, and no information about anything that might be useful for people who have never stayed there before, but I could overlook that. The major issue I had was going to their Tavern for dinner last night. First my husband was informed that it's 'standing room only' from 6p-7p. We go down there at about that time, and there are literally two other tables occupied. The young waitress never introduced herself, didn't really have a clue about answering any simple questions regarding the menu, etc, and was pretty much indifferent along with the rest of the staff. My husband and I both ordered the NY sirloin for $26. This piece of meat would have been sorely overpriced at $16 even for that cut...it was thin and half of mine was all fat. It was a $70 meal that was a major disappointment for what we paid, and there's really not a ton of other places around the area to go. Had it been a great meal we wouldn't have blinked an eye at the cost. I wanted to have a restaurant we could count on being good at the end of the day in winter without having to drive around and find something. Anyway, we realized complaining to this girl would have been pointless. My husband paid cash and needed change. She went to the bar, where she was sternly told "Not now, I'm busy", by the bartender, making my husband wait further, while she took it upon herself to walk to the front desk to try to get change there. Not good. I'd say of everything the restaurant needs better service, better quality of food, and just a different setup. I felt like the formal dining room was grossly overpriced and the Tavern a notch down at very overpriced, it would be a good idea to make the tavern a little more reasonable with more regular fare for people that didn't want a big formal sitdown at the end of the day. We also overheard a guest sitting down with a manager this morning and reviewing his dinner bill and what was eaten by whom, b/c apparently he was given the wrong bill last night, a bill much higher than it should have been, and he had to get it squared away (something that should have happened before they left the dinner table last night in my opinion). They should also offer something lighter for breakfast instead of having to sit down to another big meal. Offer muffins, or a bread basket, etc. It would go a long way with people wanting to grab something and get out on the trails or get going for the day.

The other little irritating things (and it's not a big deal) were what someone else said about the gift shop. Grossly overpriced with nothing good in it at all. Overpriced candles and $10 soap. I've stayed at nicer places with gift areas a lot more practical and reasonably priced...both Mt. Washington Hotel and the Balsams have better gift shops as well. The last little thing I will mention is our walk out to the stables this morning. The horses were turned out and we figured we'd take a look. There was a girl coming out to bring them in, and big surprise, no personality. I wouldn't call her snotty, but she certainly did NOT have time for small talk, or even a pleasant hello for that matter...she had work to do. The barn had a sign that said "Open, Come In"...we were in there and my husband was complimenting the structure of the barn while she was busying herself here and there. Naturally, she made no acknowledgment of it. When my husband asked her directly if she worked there/are these your horses she hoitily replied..."I OWN all this" and went back to her work in the other part of the barn. I was surprised since she was a younger girl, but come to find out she actually leases the property and barters the use of the horses etc...whatever.

Lastly I have to end this on a couple good notes. First off, many of the staff, including some of the young managers were great, you could tell they were busy trying to keep things going smooth and keep everyone happy. Not easy considering the staff they had to work with. The bellmen were wonderful, hardworking, personable, and very accomodating. Housekeeping staff very pleasant and accomodating. And the Club House staff was great. Management down there was friendly and well informed about the area. We went there for lunch the other day and we had a reasonably priced and delicious sandwich. Today we figured we'd try the brunch for $16/person. It was awesome. They had tons of great food, including a roast beef that was probably the best I've ever had, fried chicken that was not at all greasy, made to order omelets, pastries, fresh fruit, you name it. The best deal we had all weekend. Sad thing about it is they make the food up at the hotel, so why did we eat horsemeat last night for more than twice the money? They should offer the brunch up in the hotel for sure, as all you can get up there is a $15 omelet or something similar (the place was empty, they don't advertise it up in the hotel, we had heard about it when we had gone there for lunch previously). Also to boot, my husband in passing made mention of the unpleasant experience we had in the restaurant last night. While we were finishing brunch, the young girl took it upon herself to call the manager up at the hotel and we got our brunch on the house. We weren't expecting it and were super appreciative, it really meant the world to us that someone actually cared after some of the things we ran into this weekend.

Overall I really loved the MVG, service needs to improve and so does their dining situation. The quality was subpar for the price, and I'd like to see more informal/regular food offered in that section of the hotel.

Reviewed 5 October 2007

What a wonderful hotel. A grand looking hotel in a grand spot. Too bad the staff was so indifferent. I had read some other reviews and all I can say is that for the most part they are true. Other than a great bartender, who saw to it that we were able to get some food despite our late arrival, the rest of the staff needs to be taken by the scruff of theirs necks and shaken violently. They need to understand that without guests they would not have a job. For example, our second evening we arrived at the dining room to be seated for dinner. We were greeted by the hostess, I said "two for dinner please", and she replied "Oh really". Please understand it was early and there was no one else in the dining room. She escorted us to a table directly by the doors to the kitchen. The worst table in the place. Whereupon my wife asked if we might be seated a little farther away from the kitchen she replied in a huff "Well I guess so". If there had been anywhere else to eat I would have been gone in a moment. Too bad to,it really is a nice facility. We had really wanted to stay at the Mount Washington Hotel but it is undergoing renovations. Next time I will stay there or anywhere else except the Mountainview Grand.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hbladman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
The Lodge at Bretton Woods
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#1 of 8 in Bethlehem

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!