“Great Vacation”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitefield
Lynnfield, Massachusetts
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was our first trip to Mountainview with our family and I can't say enough about this place. The food was fantastic - I have a food allergy and they were very accommodating. The staff was very professional and the activities for the grandchildren were great. They really enjoyed the Mountaineering club and they are still talking about the Christmas in July Party. Ms. Baker, the Activities Director, did a great job keeping the kids entertained. We are looking forward to our next vacation at Mountainview.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Roberta B,

Thank you for reviewing! Your kind remarks about the resort and it's staff are appreciated and have been shared. We are happy we were able to accommodate your needs and that you are looking to return. We would be more than happy to welcome you again.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
Stow, MA
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here 5 nights in July, with our 2 kids, 12 and 16. There is nothing in Whitefield but when you drive up to the hotel you are instantly amazed by the spectacular view and beautiful hotel. The gardens and grounds are in perfect condition, the hotel is historic and old but redone and modern while still charming. The view is worth the price of rooms. Huge front porch width of entire hotel amazing service cocktails and appetizers and relaxing music plays. We got an amazing huge balcony (more like large porch!) with adirondack chairs etc. and a beautiful garden and brook directly below - just beautiful. Hiking and biking trails, indoor and outdoor pools, excellent food (wine cellar worth one night out without kids) Tennis and golf as well. Kids club for small children, would have like to see more activities for older kids but we did the pool, tennis, gym, golf and walks. Game room and movie room lots of fun. Only had manicure in spa but would go back to use the tub in the tower w/360 views. Golf course was adequate. Staff in entire hotel was fantastic - very friendly, helpful, fast. I asked for a blueberry muffin and the Head Baker came out and told me he would bake some for next morning - they even went and picked the berries from their farm!! (next day fresh muffins and blueberry bread pudding appeared!!) He followed up to make sure I was happy!! Great service. Very relaxing vacation we all needed.

Room Tip: If you can get a balcony room on front of hotel, well worth every penny. HUGE balcony and view of mo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear GatcB,

Thank you for your review. We're happy and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind comments about our resort staff and it's great that you felt you were well taken care of. We hope to welcome you for a return visit in the future.

Cranston, RI
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We are a family of five with three teens. I had originally booked a two night stay, but then added a 3rd night. The resort didn't have the same room type for the 3rd night (which wouldn't fit a rollaway), but we'd make do.

As soon as we arrived, there was a bellman to take our luggage. There are stairs leading up to the main porch, so this helped. We were able to check-in right away (about 2:00pm). Our room (and the other room we had for the 2 other nights) was on the 3rd floor, so be prepared for a lot of stairs. You could also take the elevator, but it needs one of the bellmen to operate it.

The rooms were clean and I found the the beds to be very comfortable. Both rooms had a walk in closet which made storing luggage for 5 very easy and kept the room less cluttered. The first room we had faced west (front of the hotel) which offered a nice view of the golf course and mountains in the distance. Our 2nd room was on the east side of the hotel and offered a view of the parking lot and farm. To me, the room is there to "hang your hat" and you should get out of the room to enjoy the views.

It was a bit rainy when we arrived, so we set about exploring the hotel. We came upon the game parlor on the lobby floor. My son and I proceeded to play chess. There were also checkers, backgammon, and other board games. Then the wine tasting began (4pm). They offered a red and a white and a cheese platter. It was a nice way to start the evening.

That night, we ate at the Tavern. In my opinion, the food was average. Not bad, but nothing special either. After, the kids went to the room and we had a cocktail at the bar in the Tavern. We went in the 3 nights we were there and it was a quiet place to have a drink before going back to the room.

The next day, we headed off campus to go zip lining at Bretton Woods. We got back in time to play some backgammon on the front porch and attend the wine tasting again. We went exploring the grounds, found the tennis courts (looked to be clay? or synthetic clay?) hit the ball for a bit.

We participated in the axe throwing the next morning. Ms. Baker (the instructor) was engaging and funny. We were allowed a practice throw prior to the competition beginning. I was able to hit the target twice and came in 2nd place, earning a medal. I did not earn the right to be called Axe Man, but it was fun never the less. Tip: aim over the target, at the lights on the tennis court behind the targets.

We header over to the clay bocce courts for the 11am clinic. The instructor was late, but he was very helpful in explaining the game as it is supposed to be played on clay (as opposed to grass). We did that for an hour before heading next door to the outdoor pool. We had 4 lounges and the waitress (Jana) was pretty good about checking in with us for drinks, food. At 2:30pm, they started playing Bingo by the pool. We all had fun that day.

Other items of interest: the outdoor chess/checker set, the farm with alpacas and goats, the lily pond/river in the back.

My wife and I would love to go back, this time bringing the golf clubs. The course looked immaculate and not crowded.

Room Tip: Wifi was a little spotty at times. If you have bad legs or hate stairs, request a room on the first...
Dear BonDotts,

Thank you for taking the time to review. We're glad to know that you and your family of five were able to enjoy many of activities and amenities we have to offer. Your comments and review are greatly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is our second trip to the MVG and it was amazing... We have nothing but great things to say about the views ,the rooms, the hospitality, gardens, and professionalism of the staff. I have severe food allergies which can be quite challenging for me to manage and it seems somewhat unreasonable to think that a resort could address these in such a personal fashion. However, Chef Adam Parker personally took charge of my dietary needs and provided meals that were incredibly delicious which is very challenging considering the narrow scope of foods he had to choose from. All members of the hotel staff were aware of my allergies and took great care to safe guard against an unfortunate incident of a hidden allergen that would have ruined the trip. This was incredible with the 400 guest attending one of the 2 weddings taking place coincidently with our stay. We took the kids to Santa's village as part of the our vacation package and wondered how I would eat that day. I had no worries in the resorts care as personable Chef Everett provided a box lunch that was delicious, this all the while coming out to see if breakfasts were ok. Every meal was looked after by wonderful tavern manager Sheena as well as others. We met wonderful workers both on the porch and in the bell men elevator. And we were so happy to have the same server Sam ( Samantha) at almost every meal. Sam (Samantha) took extra care to know what the food issues were. She was quick to check on everything. By the end of the weekend we were ready to adopt her as she seemed like a member of the family. She was the highlight of our stay! I've talked a lot about the care everyone took with my meals but EVERYTHING from the pools and Farm to the campfire s'mores for the kids was simply amazing... We are already looking forward to our next visit... Thank you to Chef Adam Parker, Chef Everett, Sheena, Sam, Sara, Lena, Anya, Josh, Jr, and the many others we didn't get the names of. We will see you again soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Amy D
Dear Amy D,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Our staff strives to make sure every guest has a comfortable and enjoyable stay, and we're glad to hear you were well taken care of. Thank you for your kind remarks about Chef Adam, Chef Everett, Samantha and the rest of the staff you mentioned. Your complements are appreciated and have been passed along. We look forward to welcoming you for your third visit.

Old Brookville, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My 2 girlfriends and I chose this hotel to have some girl time & catch up. We were looking for a place with a good spa & good food. First impressions is that its more of a family or elderly person hotel, but we overlooked that and made the most of it. First, the food & drinks are really good. We ate at all the spots on the property, the resort is in the middle of nowhere-there is no other choice but to eat there, and they were great. However the hotel is mostly staffed by very young, inexperienced kids and a big handful of (eastern) europeans. So service is pretty bad. They either walk by every minute and interrupt your conversation to ask if you need anything or the europeans completely ignore you and you pretty much have to start walking away for one to materialize. On the first night the menu's were not handed out until about 10 minutes after being sat and food took a very long time to arrive after ordered. But, it was tasty when it finally arrived.
The following afternoon we went to the spa. I was hopeful it would live up to the other reviews, it did not. Although they have an extensive & creative spa menu, they do not have the experienced staff to make it worthwhile. Another area with what seemed like young people barely a week out of training doing massages & body treatments. Even when I asked for more pressure, both staffers were hesitant and didn't know what they were doing. Very disappointing when the spa is the main reason you've chosen the resort!
So it's a beautiful resort that reminds me of where Dirty Dancing was filmed, the rooms are ok, but have loud air conditioners & hardly any mirrors. The lack of wifi was hard to live without, but that is my own fault for not looking into it before I made the reservation. This place would be a good spot for families as a jumping off point for the area parks & attractions or the elderly because the pace is so slow.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kimbany
MVGManager, Spa Director at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Kimbany,

Thank you for taking the time to review and express your concerns about the property's service levels and amenities. We personally examine every comment, good and bad, as we are constantly striving to improve.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with our Spa services. We have reached out to you through the Trip Advisor messaging system, but we have not heard back from you.

The service level you experienced in the Spa is disappointing. I have spoken with the staff as a whole. I was hoping you could provide further information about your stay so I may speak specifically to those who preformed your spa services and provide additional training as necessary. If you are willing, please let me know the best way to contact you and when a good time would be.

Jennifer Mike
Spa Director
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Going to the Mountain View Grand is like going back in time, in the best possible way!
We enjoyed every single activity offered, especially the pool, the library and the game room during the day, the GREAT restaurant for dinner, and the Movie Theater at night.
+ The hotel has the best corridors of any hotel I've been to in my life: large and comfortable, perfectly lit, with soft carpet at your feet and lined with many marvelous paintings, bookcases and cushioned benches!
The rooms are great but the corridors are exceptional. I still dream I'm walking through them at night.

Room Tip: Both rooms I had were marvelous.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
MVGManager, General Manager at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Yves L,

Thank you for reviewing. Your kind remarks about the resort are greatly appreciated. We hope to welcome you again to the resort for a future stay.

Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Just returned from a wonderful family vacation at the Mountain View Grand. We picked the hotel based on the positive Tripadvisor reviews, and read about the on-site animal farm with llamas and alpacas. Property was beautiful, clean and well-staffed. We participated in several activities including the axe-throwing (fun, a bit corny), smores by the campfire, and a daily farm visit where we picked eggs from the chickens and ducks while learning about the different animals from Mrs. Diego. We could pet and hug the chickens and goats, but learned that the llamas and alpacas do not like physical contact so we could not pet them. There was also a very soft, hairy rabbit.
Room was comfortable but not very big. Had a walk-in closet which helped.
The resort also has a nice, clean and heated indoor pool with hot tub, as well as an outdoor pool (a bit cold outside to enjoy). We tried mountain biking (quite difficult and scary, so not for the inexperienced), and drove around 90 minutes to a nearby whitewater river (ELC rafting with Ken - excellent). The tennis courts were also well-kept.
Food was consistently very good - we ate at the Tavern for almost every meal. Prices were reasonable (around $15-20 per person for lunch or dinner - not counting any drinks).
We would definitely recommend for a family with kids from kindergarten through teens.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs (and a single, attended elevator), so be prepared to walk a lot if your room is at th...
1 Thank danielh5
Dear danielh5,

Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our working farm as we strive to pay tribute to our agricultural past. We're glad you and your family were able to meet and greet the animals during your farm experience. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of many of the activities that are offered on and off-site. We hope to welcome you back to the resort again in the future.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitefield
Hampton Inn Littleton
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
#2 of 8 in Bethlehem

Been to Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!