“Where did these other people stay?”
Review of The Lord Hampshire

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Winnisquam
The Lord Hampshire
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Winnisquam
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Where did these other people stay?”
Reviewed 31 March 2011

I have stayed at the Lord Hampshire many times and will continue to do so. The Staff is very friendly and extremely helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and well maintained. The hotel and cottages are on a lovely spot on Lake Winnisquam, with Loons and other wildlife in abundance.

All in all my friends, my family and myself have all had great experiences at the Lord Hampshire and we are looking forward to many more. See you there.........:0)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 October 2010

There are two sets of rules at the LH; one for owners, and one for the suckers who stay there when owners are away. Strict rules for "renters" no pets/smoking (which I was happy about), but many owners had dogs, plus we had to close our sliding door because of smoke wafting in. We were just looking for a couple of nights away (no vacation again this year).
Found the Lord Hampshire online and it seemed pretty good. The motel room was nice, but the other amenities were GREATLY exaggerated. What was there was already confiscated by the "owners". Even the dock was "reserved' by an owner. No real place to enjoy the lake but your little tiny screened in deck. The second night was horrible. About 6 young kids (5-12) were literally bouncing up against the walls of our room and screaming for over an hour. Hubby knocked on door and asked politely if they could keep it down. No adults at all. Kids start screaming out of the screened door "What's your problem?" Manager was not on property, so went to one of the (privately owned) cottages to ask who was in charge. Well, I found the parents.. all squeezed into the cottage having a helluva party! Manager finally called back (still off site) and after explaining, offered to refund that night. Avoided us at checkout, and has ignored calls and emails. Trust me, it's not the "nice little place" they advertise. We got screwed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lance399

Travellers are raving about these Winnisquam hotels

New Hampshire
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Stayed here last year on a visit to Tilton outlets. Hotel room ok, pretty view of the lake. Tried to make reservations this year (three weeks in advance ) and they refused to honor the prices on their own web site. Told me those rates were "old rates" even though they are posted as "2009 rates". I made the reservations to hold the room & told them I would double check w/ the other person I was going with to see if the price increase was ok and that I would call right back. I called back w/in 30 minutes to say that we would NOT take the room, I was told that they had ALREADY charged my room, and IF they could, they would cancel the reservation BUT I would be charged a $25.00 cancellation fee!! FOR a reservation they had had all of 1/2 an hour!
There is NO disclosure of the immediate room charge, NOR the cancellation fee on the web site. When I expressed my displeasure over their practices, stating that I would NEVER use them again and would certainly NOT reccommend them, He told me, that was fine and hung up!
It is a wonder they have anyone use the hotel with such bad manners, poor customer service and sneaky practices.
Try the Holiday Inn Express in Tilton!
posted 10/19/09 by TT

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank btt1
NH
Reviewed 7 July 2009

We stayed on the second floor of the motel. I can't speak for the cottages, which are all individually owned and may be nicer or less nice. I think some of the motel units are also individually owned.

The motel rooms appear to have been recently updated. The carpeting seemed new and fixtures in the bathroom were of above average quality. The bathroom was nicely tiled. Our room included a small fridge, kitchen sink, and two burner stove, which were dated but adequate. There was a very nice porch at the back of the unit overlooking the lake. The view was partially obscured by trees. The porch was nicely done with at least 4 chairs and was fully screened in. The railings/balusters were very secure, and I had no problems letting a 3 year old go out there and sit unsupervised. TV was fine. Ice machine on the 1st floor always packed with fresh ice. Optional linen changes. There was a nice large deck down by the water, and it was not hard to find a table even on 4th of July weekend. There is an area for grilling (limited use of the motel's grills). There is a small area for swimming, which seemed clean and weed free. There is about a 1-2 foot ledge at the water's edge, not a gradual sloping sandy beach. The kids seemed to have fun, though. Didn't check out the game room, but it seemed like a fun place for the kids.

My only complaint: LOTS of road noise. But this is hard to avoid in the Lakes region since it seems that all of the lakefront cottages are just off of the road.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
MA
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Stayed here on Labor Day Very disappointing stay. The place is not like the pictures you see on site. Beach and deck are too tiny. They didn't give even additional beds for children, so our kids had to sleep with parents in the same bed. The host area is too small. No playground or place for any outdoor activity. Barbecue was also a challenge since there is no barbecue area and no lights outside the buildings. Staff is not very friendly.Sorry we've stayed there.

• Liked — Pictures on their site
  • Disliked — Size of the hosting area
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Stuwi
southern NH
Reviewed 16 July 2007

I used google to find this hotel because of it's close proximity to Winnisquam and lake Winnipesaukee where we wanted to stay the night. I called to inquire on availability and found the staff to be helpful, courteous, and informed. While other inns and hotels in the area require a 2 night stay, this one did not. We booked a room with a king-sized bed, small efficiency kitchen, and it featured a private screened in porch overlooking the lake. I received my email confirmation promptly. The rate was $139 plus tax bringing it to $150, and included a small continental breakfast.

Our stay was just fine. The hotel is on the main drag with traffic but we didnt hear any noises at all in our room. We found the room to be brand new; they recently remodeled the entire hotel with brand new bathroom tile, fixtures, and fluffy towels. The room itself had brand new everything including furniture and carpet. A hairdryer was provided as well as shampoos and soaps. There wasn't one thing out of place. We later learned these units are offered for sale - a new real estate marketing concept sweeping the hotel industry. We found the small fridge great for our leftovers from dinner, and the microwave came in handy for a midnight snack.

I would definitely recommend the Lord Hampshire for couples or families. They have their act together!

• Liked — cleanliness, value
  • Disliked — If it was free, it would be perfect.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank NHgirl7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winnisquam
Econolodge Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tilton
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
The Landmark Inn
The Landmark Inn
#13 of 13 in Laconia
Super 8 Tilton/Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to The Lord Hampshire? Share your experiences!