“saved by the bell (or the bartender)”
Review of The Restaurant - CLOSED

The Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Manchester, NH
“saved by the bell (or the bartender)”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I took my elderly parents here last Saturday for a quick dinner. We were late coming into town - maybe a bit after 9pm, but the restaurant was pretty busy so we assumed we could get a bite to eat. The young hostess told us the kitchen was closed and we couldn't eat, and she wasn't apologetic while doing so. I considered protesting but didn't want to cause a scene in front of my mother. As I resigned myself to leaving, a lady came over and told the hostess that orders were still going into the kitchen, and to let us eat. We were seated, ordered, and the lady later came over to make sure our food was good and we were happy. I asked her name, and if she was the manager, she said she was Debbie and she was just the bartender. I thanked her for being more than "just the bartender" and making sure my parents had dinner. When I told her that was a nice thing to do, she replied that it was the right thing to do - she had seen me there before and appreciated my business. Alex was our server and she was quite lovely and took good care of my parents as well.

• Visited August 2013

Concord, New Hampshire
“Watch Out!!!”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Here today, gone tomorrow! The Restaurant is flunking in all categories these days due to loss of key staff members. Avoid it until it gets its act together, hopefully soon!

Visited August 2013
Boston, MA
“Good food and great service”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My wife and I had a great dinner on a Saturday evening. We waited around 35 minutes to be seated, about what we were told and consistent with other good places at 7:15 pm on a Sat in Wolfeboro. Service was great - drinks came quickly as did appetizers. Main course was served pretty soon after we finished our aps. Food was excellent. My wife had the rib eye, which was cooked exactly as requested. I had the crab cakes. which were also very good. While we did not have desert (we were too full from dinner), their s'mores option was very creative and appreciated by the families with kids seated nearby.

• Visited August 2013
Plymouth, New Hampshire
“Too slow for my blood that night”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This review would be much worse if the food wasn't so darn good. We ordered right away as we needed to be back before dark. After 45 minutes our food had not arrived so we asked for it to be packed in a "to go" box. We ate on the ride home and enjoyed very good food with a plastic fork.

• Visited July 2013
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
“Our new favorite restaurant in town... wow.”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We summer on the Lake and my husband and I go out to dinner without the kids almost every Sunday while Grammy babysits, so we've been to every restaurant in town - except for The Restaurant - and it's now our absolute favorite.

Tizzy waited on us and she was beyond excellent - we were well taken care of - as was the service from the rest of the staff. The chowder was delicious (not too thick, not too thin) and was so full of FRESH clams that I couldn't even finish it or I wouldn't have been able to eat my dinner.

I ordered the prime rib special and it was unequivocally the best prime rib I have ever had. Each bite was more delicious than the last - juicy, cooked to the perfect temperature, infused with just the right amount of seasoning. The baked potato was outstanding with the 'loaded' part of it mixed together in a way that allowed you to have as much or as little as you wanted - with none of the elements overshadowing another. The broccoli, green beans, summer squash and zucchini were fresh (the restaurant doesn't even have a freezer) and so good.

My husband had the large lobster roll with seaweed salad on the side (instead of the handcut fries, which looked incredibly good) and he said both were excellent, and that the seaweed salad was the best he'd had.

We were also very pleasantly surprised to find the Sam Adams Grumpy Monk Belgian IPA on tap, which was outstanding (and we're not huge fans of Sam Adams beers).

Unfortunately we were too full to try dessert but will be back with our kids (they have a great kids' menu) for dinner finished with make your own s'mores for dessert (how perfect is that?).

Our dinners came out in a timely way, so since it was still early when we were done with our meals, we moved to the bar for another IPA and enjoyed watching the kitchen staff as they cooked and the wait staff as they bantered back and forth and sang a long to the 70s-80s music. :-)

• Visited July 2013