“Real cottage lake living”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Piping Rock Resort

Piping Rock Resort
Chandler, Arizona, United States
“Real cottage lake living”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

If you are looking for a plush hotel this is NOT the place. This is real cottage/lake living of times past. Flat screen TVs, great internet connections etc. are not part of this property, however, if you would like to wake up and have your coffee with a great lake view or kayak the bays, listen to the rain while sipping wine on your screened in porch this is the place for you. Getting back in touch with nature and getting out of the rat race can be acheived after a week here. I come here to unplug completely and when I want upscale I go down to Boston and the Ritz.

Town is wonderful and only a two minute drive. I prefer the cabins and have been coming back every year for about 7 years now. I have stayed in the hotel rooms and the cabins and I only stay in cabin 4 or 8 now. If I had to stay in the hotel I would stay in the only 2 bedroom, not sure of room number. This is a great place to stay if you are looking for a good value, relaxation and outdoor activities, if you want plush somewhere else.

Room Tip: I prefer the cabins to the hotel rooms, however, the 2 bedroom hotel unit is nice, clean and the bes...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tina R

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

This resort is made up of motel rooms and cottages that all have private owners, and this shows in the way it is maintained and managed. We stayed four nights in Motel Room #8, which I believe to be the nicest of the motel rooms that are rented out, rather than just being used by their owners.The rest of my family were in Room 2 and 4, so i have firsthand knowledge of three of the units. I also happened to be in the office when another guest was reporting than the a/c unit was not working right and was leaking large amounts of water. He was advised to 'put a bucket under it'.Wow.

The office seems to be staffed by retired elderly people who are using this part time job to supplement their income. They are not capable of multi-tasking, or of dealing with the typical issues that come up regularly in a hospitality service type of position.

I had stayed in this motel for one or two nights several years ago, and found it to be a bit overpriced for what you get, and burdened with far too many rules that guests need to abide by for a motel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pko57
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

The address my GPS sent us somewhere else- luckily we stopped 2x and finally found it- on route 109 - which I wish that was the address because it sure was frustrating to keep driving around looking for it. They should close for the season right after Columbus day if they are not interested in having guests.. When we pulled up at 3pm to check in the sign said closed- it was only because I could see lights on that I walked in to get keys for 3 rooms. Yes, 3 rooms. It was raining and the wood stairs and walkway to our room was quite slippery- but no one really warned us about that.. The door is right next to the bathroom and there are no drapes over the blinds so someone could see right in, I know seems nit-picky but ...
Towels were nice and plentiful in my room- I was told by my travel mates that their sheets were thread bare.. this is disappointing as linens seem the easiest thing to upgrade.
Property is right on the lake which is nice and the balconies/porches have a nice view. My room has a full kitchen and would have been great for a family-
Price was right - but the service/staff was not very friendly- and I was disappointed to hear my travel mates had poor linens.. No internet service- if there was we were not told about it..

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2010

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit #6. It says it's air conditioned but when we arrived the single window unit was off and it took hours to cool down and never reached cooler than 75/76 degrees in the main bedroom and the second bedroom was much hotter.
The furniture and bed linens are older (the spare sheets for the pull out had a huge hole in them) but the beds were very comfortable. The view from the balcony was beautiful. We just slept here and visited family.
It was very quiet.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank patsarah
Kenmore, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2009

I was traveling with my elderly father. There was no mention of the 53+ stairs we needed to navigate to and from the cottage from the parking lot. We were at the boathouse (Cottage 12) and the facility is definitely old. We were here in the off season, although the weather was quite warm for November. Internet was listed, but even though I was connected to their system, the connectivity was so low, I never connected to Google.

The television only got a few channels and here's a tip: don't plan on doing much cooking. No measuring cups nor spoons. No dishwasher, so we had to rewash their dishes before we put on our own food on them, as the last person was none too careful. We had to bring the trash up to the dumpster at the top of the hill at checkout time. There was also a $75.00 cleaning fee which I'd overlooked when I'd booked our vacation.

The attached beach was very small, but one could lounge on the grassy hills, too. The water looked pretty clear, although there were no boats for us to use in the off season, so I can only judge by the shoreline. The boathouse would be pretty noisy generally because of its proximity to the water and the beach, but it is the cottage closest to the water. There was only one air conditioner in one bedroom, but it wasn't an issue for us because we were here in the colder weather. The gas stove in the living room worked very well and kept us toasty.

The toilet was the pits. Someone had put a brick in the water tank to reduce water usage for flushes, but I had to take the brick out in order to have sufficient water flow to flush down the waste. The flapper needed replacing badly and we were told to manually raise the flush lever so that the tank would fill again. The first day I complained and the person at the desk said they could probably get someone in. The second day when I mentioned it, I was told no one would come in time before we left, and when I sent an email to question my charges and reiterated the problem with the toilet, I was told that given the age of the plumbing, it was in pretty good shape. So, decide for yourself.

In the summer, this could be a real happening place, I guess, very family oriented. Don't come here if you are physically challenged. I'd recommend this resort to families with children and any friends who don't mind basic facilities.

The townspeopleof Wolfeboro were very friendly and welcoming. During high season, I suspect the restaurants would have had waits, but we had no trouble. The bootery on the main street was fabulous and the clerk was helpful and friendly. I highly recommend the Wine Thyme wine store. The owner was very accomodating and knowledgeable.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank Wave R
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

I loved this place! About a 5km (3 mile) drive from the centre of Wolfeboro, so it's not right next to shops or restaurants, however they are not that far away when you do need them. The resort has both a motel section with about 6 or 7 units and then there are a dozen or so cottages sprinkled around the property. I can imagine this place is well patronised in summer, although when we were there in late September it was almost empty.

We stayed in a motel unit with two rooms - a main room with lounge area and king sized bed and then a separate room with two full sized beds which was great for the kids. They even got their own TV in their room which is a luxury for them. The room had full kitchen facilities which was great traveling with kids, even just for cereal in the morning. The main room was spacious and easy to move around and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean and nice.

The rooms had a lovely view of the lake and the lawns leading down to it. There was a kids playground but we didn't try it out, as my boys (6 and 4 years) were far more interesting in getting down to the beach at the lake. There were kayaks for use, and lots of buckets, spades, toys, balls, swimming noodles and inflatable toys to play with. The sloping lawn down to the beach was also great for running and rolling down!

There was internet access advertised but we didn't get time to log on and try it out.

All in all a great place and I wished we could have stayed longer. Excellent value for money in the off-season.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Sotetno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolfeboro
The Wolfeboro Inn
The Windrifter Resort
The Windrifter Resort
#6 of 6 in Wolfeboro
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to Piping Rock Resort? Share your experiences!