“Nice location. Older hotel.”
Review of Piping Rock Resort

Piping Rock Resort
NJ
“Nice location. Older hotel.”
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit #6. It says it's air conditioned but when we arrived the single window unit was off and it took hours to cool down and never reached cooler than 75/76 degrees in the main bedroom and the second bedroom was much hotter.
The furniture and bed linens are older (the spare sheets for the pull out had a huge hole in them) but the beds were very comfortable. The view from the balcony was beautiful. We just slept here and visited family.
It was very quiet.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank patsarah

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kenmore, Washington
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I was traveling with my elderly father. There was no mention of the 53+ stairs we needed to navigate to and from the cottage from the parking lot. We were at the boathouse (Cottage 12) and the facility is definitely old. We were here in the off season, although the weather was quite warm for November. Internet was listed, but even though I was connected to their system, the connectivity was so low, I never connected to Google.

The television only got a few channels and here's a tip: don't plan on doing much cooking. No measuring cups nor spoons. No dishwasher, so we had to rewash their dishes before we put on our own food on them, as the last person was none too careful. We had to bring the trash up to the dumpster at the top of the hill at checkout time. There was also a $75.00 cleaning fee which I'd overlooked when I'd booked our vacation.

The attached beach was very small, but one could lounge on the grassy hills, too. The water looked pretty clear, although there were no boats for us to use in the off season, so I can only judge by the shoreline. The boathouse would be pretty noisy generally because of its proximity to the water and the beach, but it is the cottage closest to the water. There was only one air conditioner in one bedroom, but it wasn't an issue for us because we were here in the colder weather. The gas stove in the living room worked very well and kept us toasty.

The toilet was the pits. Someone had put a brick in the water tank to reduce water usage for flushes, but I had to take the brick out in order to have sufficient water flow to flush down the waste. The flapper needed replacing badly and we were told to manually raise the flush lever so that the tank would fill again. The first day I complained and the person at the desk said they could probably get someone in. The second day when I mentioned it, I was told no one would come in time before we left, and when I sent an email to question my charges and reiterated the problem with the toilet, I was told that given the age of the plumbing, it was in pretty good shape. So, decide for yourself.

In the summer, this could be a real happening place, I guess, very family oriented. Don't come here if you are physically challenged. I'd recommend this resort to families with children and any friends who don't mind basic facilities.

The townspeopleof Wolfeboro were very friendly and welcoming. During high season, I suspect the restaurants would have had waits, but we had no trouble. The bootery on the main street was fabulous and the clerk was helpful and friendly. I highly recommend the Wine Thyme wine store. The owner was very accomodating and knowledgeable.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank Wave R
Sydney
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I loved this place! About a 5km (3 mile) drive from the centre of Wolfeboro, so it's not right next to shops or restaurants, however they are not that far away when you do need them. The resort has both a motel section with about 6 or 7 units and then there are a dozen or so cottages sprinkled around the property. I can imagine this place is well patronised in summer, although when we were there in late September it was almost empty.

We stayed in a motel unit with two rooms - a main room with lounge area and king sized bed and then a separate room with two full sized beds which was great for the kids. They even got their own TV in their room which is a luxury for them. The room had full kitchen facilities which was great traveling with kids, even just for cereal in the morning. The main room was spacious and easy to move around and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean and nice.

The rooms had a lovely view of the lake and the lawns leading down to it. There was a kids playground but we didn't try it out, as my boys (6 and 4 years) were far more interesting in getting down to the beach at the lake. There were kayaks for use, and lots of buckets, spades, toys, balls, swimming noodles and inflatable toys to play with. The sloping lawn down to the beach was also great for running and rolling down!

There was internet access advertised but we didn't get time to log on and try it out.

All in all a great place and I wished we could have stayed longer. Excellent value for money in the off-season.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Sotetno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolfeboro
The Wolfeboro Inn
The Windrifter Resort
The Windrifter Resort
#6 of 7 in Wolfeboro
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee

Been to Piping Rock Resort? Share your experiences!