“I hope to make this a regular post-hiking refuge”
Review of The Wolfeboro Inn

The Wolfeboro Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Wolfeboro
Washington, DC
“I hope to make this a regular post-hiking refuge”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I love this hotel. I have stayed twice and I hope to be back in the future. It is charming and cozy. I love that it has its own private beach on the lake. I have stayed both time in the early fall and have had the beach to myself, a quiet place to read, reflect, and even nap! The turn down service each evening is a fun treat. The staff has always been friendly and helpful to me. It was the perfect place to come "home" to after a 3-day backpacking trip up in the White Mountains. Wolfeboro is a lovely little town with lots of great options for food and drink (e.g.Garwoods, the diner, Lydia's Cafe, and Bailey's Bubble) and Dive Winnipesaukee will hook you up with a kayak or anything you need to enjoy the lake more. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for being our guest and for your review on Tripadvisor.com. Repeat guests are always very valued, as our impression caused you to return. I truly appreciate your favorable comments regarding the property and the friendliness of our staff. We all try to create a memorable experience for all of our guests...glad we did not disappoint.
Thank you again for returning to us, and we all look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to the most beautiful spot in the North East. Travel safely!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Napa, California
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The only positive thing that happened after we checked in to the Wolfeboro Inn is that they offered to credit our card back if we wanted to leave and we definitely did! The Inn looks great from the outside and there seem to be a lot of great reviews. However, I completely agree with another review that the rooms are "dark and dreary", the hotel is sitting on the road or a large parking lot and has a DISTANT view of the lake through very mature trees, that is probably great from the roof of the building. I was told that I would have a room with a balcony and full view of the lake. The room that was given to us was on the road and with barely a view. I was sure that there was a mistake. According to "Sam" at the front desk this room is what they categorized as full view of the lake. If that's the case, they're being very deceptive. Sam's lousy attitude probably was just as much a factor to our leaving as anything else. She just did not care that they had not at all delivered what was promised. Go the the Lake Motel at the other end of town. It's terrific! It really is on the lake, owners are so nice and it's half the price!

2 Thank joadams0917
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I certainly value any and all feedback received from our guests and would like to take this opportunity to address a few of your concerns with your stay. The first has to do with lakefront. Ms. joadams0917, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. There is no question that we are indeed a lakefront property. The pictures on our website and pictures posted on TripAdvisor from past guests confirm this. We have our own private beach, our own private dock and our own private boat, The Winnipesaukee Belle. Like all properties, not every room has a view (not even the other location mentioned does. In fact at that location you could get a view of a parking lot and the main building). I am certain they, as we, clarify that through correspondence and on their web site. Not every room can possibly have lake view – anywhere. We evidently did not meet your expectations in this area and for that we apologize.

Additionally, I am sorry you felt that your interaction with the desk was less than accommodating. We have some of the most experienced we’ll versed professional guest service agents in the Lakes regions. In my 23 years of experience, I would rank this group among the best. Their GSR (Guest Satisfaction Rating) have maintained a 90% + for 4 years running. We have not encountered this type of reaction especially with this guest service agent. I'm sorry that your impression of her was a negative one. In my heart I know it was not her intent. I believe the circumstances and difference of perspective placed you and Samantha in a very difficult situation. Once again We are sorry we were not able to meet your expectations.

Thank you again, and travel safely!
Hope, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The Wolfeboro inn is advertised as luxurious, but it isn't. If you lower your expectations you can have a pleasant experience. I'd charactize it as upscale rustic. This also means that you should avoid paying too much. We made a reservation for five nights and after one night asked to cancel the last night because the room wasn't worth the $100 increase for the fifth night (Friday). We weren't allowed to cancel Friday because of their 7-day cancellation policy. The hallways had no decorations, no artwork on the walls. Our room similarly had none - seemed like prison chic. Also the bed squeaked. We thought it sagged, but we didn't wake up with sore backs, and we didn't ask for another room, to add perspective. The restaurant tried hard. We had two dinners and two breakfasts and we might have had more but we get easily bored. The restaurant and bar seemed popular with non-guests. The staff was friendly and helpful. This was our first trip to New Hampshire in many years and Wolfeboro was a good choice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you so much for being our guest and for your feedback, both positive and negative. I feel that all feedback is beneficial, as it affords me the opportunity to correct deficiencies or offer well-deserved praise.
While I love hearing that our associates left a memorial experience, I do always have concern if ANY of my guests depart even a little let down. We incorporate the manner in which we serve our guests to lend to the term, "luxury". It is everyone's goal her to ensure that the service you receive is paramount and that we provide you a great memory.
We are in the infancy stages of taking about our next renovation and I will provide our owners with your feedback regarding the decor, the hallways and the artwork. They, too place a lot of value on what our guests are saying.
I would love the opportunity to serve you and your family again, should your travels bring you back to the area. Please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to make all of your arrangements personally.
Thank you again for staying with us, and travel safely!
Richmond,VA
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I was sadly disappointed with this property, especially since it was so highly recommended. The rooms were dark and dingy. On the west side the rooms face the street and on the right side the rooms face the sunlight which is NOT blocked from the visitor's face by curtains or shades on two of the three windows. I could not understand this since the large window has a thick, dark curtain which adequately shields guests from early morning rays. But the small windows only have a thin, transparent curtain which allows all light to pass through and right onto your face at 6:30 am.

The other problem with the Wolfeboro is that the food is drastically overpriced and the restaurant service lacking. We watched as many enjoyed themselves at the bar while we waited, and waited, and waited for service. Then our order for mussels arrived after 35 minutes and included two that were rotten, and this was the daily feature! The chef came out and apologized for the rotten mussels and we weren't expected to pay for them (hello?)
The salads we ordered tasted bland and these were completely overpriced.

I will mention that this place seems to have a bar that rocks and if you want to party and drink. I just cannot imagine having a hangover at the Wolfeboro Inn, with the sunrise shining in my face at the crack of dawn.. yawn, yawn!

Room Tip: Find a B&B nearby
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for being our guest and for your review on tripadvisor.com. All feedback is invaluable to us and we try to act on anything negative that might have happened during any of our guests' stay so they can leave us happy and delighted, but to also ensure that the negative aspect is not replicated. I am so sorry that your experience with us was not exceptional. We strive to create pleasant and lasting memories and I am very unhappy that we were not able to do this for you.
We have noted your room number and will be looking into custom fitting blackout shades so that our guests can enjoy a well-deserved sleep.
As for your experience in our lounge, I will be sharing this with our Executive Chef so that he will address our staff and culinary team accordingly. We usually only receive the highest of praise about our food and service in the Wolfe's Tavern.
Should you wish to contact me directly to further the conversation, I can be reached at (603) 569-3016. I hope that we can be given the opportunity to serve you again and prove that we can represent ourselves better than your original experience. Please contact me directly and I will handle your reservation personally.
Thank you again for staying with us, and travel safely!
Washington DC
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Beautiful hotel on the lakeside, very clean with large rooms and comfortable beds. The staff were exceptional, very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. It is located right in the town of Wolfeboro which is small, very pretty and some lovely individual shops, nice for an early evening stroll. The Inn does good food and over 100 different beers but as it was noisy it seemed a great shame that guests could not take their drinks into the hotel lounge to enjoy the wonderfully comfortable leather armchairs to enjoy a quiet drink before retiring. Not the hotels fault but NH law as was explained to us.
All in all we had a wonderful stay, in a lovely hotel in a great location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your favorable review on tripadvisor.com. We speak daily about the importance of guest engagement, cleanliness and providing exceptional service...I am so pleased that we didn't let you down. When your travels bring you back to the most beautiful place in New England, I hope that we'll have the opportunity to serve you again.
Thank you again for being our guest, and travel safely!
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had to book late so the rate was over $300.00 for one night. The room was nice, the window air conditioner was very loud. The Inn has pretty good food and a nice selection of beer. Friday night is an all you can eat fish and chips which is excellent. I thought the $1.00 charge for the newspaper was interesting after paying $300.00 for the room. Employees were all outstanding, great location, beautiful town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your favorable review on tripadvisor.com. While I do appreciate your thoughtful comments regarding the room, food and (especially) the staff, I am so sorry that your experience wasn't 100% perfect. Should you have the time, would you mind contacting me at 603-569-3016 so that I can get your room number and immediately remedy the the issue with the air conditioning unit. Our goal is to provide paramount hospitality and ensure a lasting memory.
Thank you again for being our guest and I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again. Travel safely.
New jersey
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed here numerous times and always pleased. Good management shows! The rooms are clean, well maintained, and comfortable. Housekeeping did a great job as well, including the turndown service with chocolates. I used the small beach to swim and the gazebo to enjoy the view of the lake. The on site restaurant, Wolfe Tavern, was also quite good, with a nice bar area and other nicely decorated rooms. It's expensive on summer weekends, but having stayed at many other places int own, it is by far the best.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for being our guest and for the favorable review on tripadvisor.com. It is our goal to provide exceptional service, clean rooms and great food...I will let my team here know that we did not disappoint you! We love our repeat guests and will always do whatever we can to ensure that you remain a member of our family.
We all look forward to serving you when your travels bring you back to Wolfeboro. Thank you again for staying with us and travel safely.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolfeboro
Econo Lodge
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
The Windrifter Resort
The Windrifter Resort
#7 of 7 in Wolfeboro

Been to The Wolfeboro Inn? Share your experiences!