“Room wreaked of urine! Disgusting!”
Review of The Wolfeboro Inn

The Wolfeboro Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Wolfeboro
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived after a very long day on the road. We were just in time for dinner before the tavern closed at 9PM. We dropped our bags and quickly went to dinner. Food was good, server was good. No complaints with the tavern. Returning to the room late and exhausted we fall into bed. Soon we notice a putrid smell. Urine! It seemed to be coming from one of the queen beds. We were disgusted and tired. We moved to the other bed and went to sleep. In the morning the smell was even worse. We took showers and ate breakfast. We left quickly, feeling as though we smelled of the nasty urine smell from our room. We notified the desk of the issue and that we left the windows open. She basically said "sorry for the smell" and we left. Several hours later we received an email with a billing statement and a note. The room was found to be soiled and had a foul odor so they have closed off the room for repairs. For bringing this to their attention they "graciously" gave us a 50% discount. A full refund for selling us a filthy room is in order. A 50% discount is...not good enough, to say the least. Many other lovely places to stay in the area. We will definitely be looking elsewhere from now on. This was just plain disgusting. No excuse for housekeeping to miss a urine odor in a guest room. What a sad disappointment! Stay away! It's obviously neglected and major problems are overlooked just to sell a room. Unhealthy, and UNSANITARY! They should be embarrassed!

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Freqflier28
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for being our guest and for your review on tripadvisor.com. All feedback is invaluable to us and we try to act on anything negative that might have happened during any of our guests' stay so they can leave us happy and delighted, but to also ensure that the negative aspect is not replicated. I am so sorry that your experience with us was not exceptional. We strive to create pleasant and lasting memories and I am very unhappy that we were not able to do this for you. After investigation, we did notice a slight odor coming from the carpet in between the beds. We completely stripped the entire room of all linens, deep-cleaned the room which included shampooing the carpets and reassembled it.
I would like to prove to you that this was an anomaly, and certainly not the normal experience that our guests have come to expect. If your travels bring you back to this area, please contact me directly at (603) 569-3016 so I can personally attend to your reservation.
Thank you again for staying with us, and travel safely!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The rooms were large and comfortable. The views are pretty and idyllic. Our favorite part of the hotel was the lobster bisque downstairs in the bar. Best I have ever had! Loved seeing the pewter mugs in the bar for the locals. A great place for a weekend retreat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for your favorable review on Tripadvisor.com. I am glad that you found your accommodations comfortable. The Inn is very unique and no rooms are the same. Our goal is to ensure that your stay is a pleasant one and that you leave us with lasting memories.
I will also pass along your thoughtful comments to our Executive Chef, Hoke Wilson. He and his team work extremely hard making certain that their creations are enjoyed by our guests...and I will agree...the lobster bisque is amazing!
Thank you again for being our guest. We all look forward to having the opportunity to serve you and your family again when your journeys lead you back to the area. Travel safely!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed at the inn this past weekend and of course with my luck the town had a power outage on Saturday.The power was out from around 4pm and didn't come back on until sometime after I went to bed. I must say the staff was wonderful- They made sure everyone had flashlights if needed and even put glowsticks on the stairways so you could see where you were going. At one point a girl knocked on our door offering soda/water and sandwiches. This was great considerig the restaurant was closed because of the outage.
As always the staff went above and beyond to take care of the guests as best they could under the circumstances.
I will be back again of course and fingers crossed no power outage next time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you so much for being our guest and for your kind words on tripadvisor.com. It was a very stressful day after the entire town of Wolfeboro lost power for a little over 8 hours. In situations like that, which you have no control over, it is very difficult to provide a great experience for our guests. I was there throughout the entire outage and I can honestly say that I was so proud of my team. We all scrambled behind the scenes to try and make certain our guests were safe, comfortable and taken care of in the manner in which we are all used to.
Given that my Team and I delight in providing paramount hospitality and lasting memories, we all felt badly that this incident may have tarnished some guests' opinion of the property. I can say with confidence that we did everything that we could to ensure our guests' comfort...you just can't please everyone (as hard as we try to).
Again, thank you staying with us...I'm confident that your next stay will be met without incident. We all look forward to serving you and your family again when your travels bring you back to the most beautiful spot in New England. Travel safely.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

The Wolfeboro Inn is the oldest summer resort in the USA ... but it has been nicely updated to reflect the times, The location was tops .. a couple of minutes walk down to the center of town. It sits back from the lake ... but it IS lakefront property. It has it's own dock and Adirondack chairs down at the beach. At night, they light the outdoor firepit. The lobby is warm and cozy and the staff is very friendly. Darrin, the new GM, aims to please and goes the extra mile to help the guests. The historical attached restaurant and tavern offers excellent choices ... I recommend the salmon. MMMMM All in all .... a very nice stay right on Lake Winnipesaukee. ~ Ron in Santa Rosa, Calif. ~

Room Tip: Some rooms have lake views ... some refrigerators ALL with great bedding and flat-sceen TV's
1  Thank RonAlbri2013
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for being our guest and for the kind words within your review on Tripadvisor.com. It was absolutely our pleasure to serve you and your wife and we're all so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We all strive to provide all of our guests with wonderful memories.
I was there when you asked to see our Executive Chef, Hoke Wilson, and he was so pleased that you enjoyed your meal enough to request to meet him. He and his team put so much effort into their creations and your satisfaction is their only goal.
We certainly look forward to serving you and your wife again when your travels bring you back to the most beautiful town in New England. Thank you again for being our guest, and travel safely!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

The accommodations at this are excellent. The rooms are very comfortable, the quality of the restaurant food is excellent and reasonably priced. The staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. This was our first trip to New England to see the fall colors so we were in need of assistance from the locals. The staff here were all very helpful and added to the enjoyment of the trip. Also, much of the downtown area is within walking distance so the location is great.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you so much for choosing The Wolfeboro Inn for your first trip up to New England, and thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.com. I was very happy to hear about the friendliness of the staff...was have some tremendous people here that really value providing great service so that our guests' experience is memorable.
I, too, enjoyed your comments about the food in the Tavern. Our Executive Chef, Hoke Wilson, and his team simply love what they do and it shows with every dish that leaves that kitchen! They change things up daily and keep all the ingredients local and fresh.
Thank you again for being our guest. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again when your travels bring you back to the most beautiful place in New England!
Travel safely.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I would definitely recommend this Inn. Upon our arrival the parking lot was full and the woman at the front desk (I wish I would have gotten her name) moved her car for us so we could park. That was the beginning of a great trip. The rooms were very clean and the suite we moved to on the second night of our stay was so big and spacious. Everything was clean and we'll maintained. After reading some other reviews I was a bit nervous but we loved the place so I guess you can't please everyone. The staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasant! The town is a great place and I can't waits go back!

Room Tip: Room 100 was great Can't wait to stay again
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind words on Tripadvisor.com. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the property and the rooms clean, spacious and well-maintained. I am also thrilled that your first impression with our front office associate was a memorable one. We speak daily on the importance of providing a great experience, paramount hospitality and and lasting memories...glad we didn't disappoint you.
When traveling back to this area we would love the opportunity to serve you and your family again. Thank you so much for being our gust, and travel safely.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We rent a home on Lake Wentworth for several weeks every summer to escape the Texas heat, and have eaten at the inn but never stayed there until our recent trip. We were very favorably impressed. The inn has a comfortable, warm, welcoming feel that was a perfect antidote to the chill, rainy day. Our room was tastefully decorated and comfortable, and the public spaces were cozy and inviting. We will recommend the inn to friends who travel to Wolfeboro.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for being our guest and for your favorable review on Tripadvisor.com. I am very happy that you were able to stay here at the Inn after dining with us several times. I appreciate all of the kind words used to describe your room and the public spaces. We all work very hard to ensure that the property is clean and well-maintained so that your experiences will be memorable. There are no details too small that do not lend to our guests' satisfaction...in both the Inn and Wolfe's Tavern.
I thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you and your family when your travels bring you back from Texas. Travel safely.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolfeboro
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
#7 of 7 in Wolfeboro
Gunstock Inn & Resort
Gunstock Inn & Resort
#3 of 3 in Gilford

Been to The Wolfeboro Inn? Share your experiences!