“A Bad Experience”

Topsides Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wolfeboro
Topsides Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 6 Wolfeboro B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We booked Topsides for 2 nights, as we came to Wolfeboro for a wedding. We stayed in a first floor bedroom towards the back of the house. The room was okay, but no place to put our clothes, so we kept them in our suitcases. The bathroom was okay, but the toilet was dirty and towels were never taken and replaced. The main house was closed off by "private" signs on the doors, so we only had our room and the back open porch, which was nice. There was no lock on our bedroom door, which we thought odd. They also kept the front door open all day until 8 pm and the back door remained open until midnight. Without having a lock on our door, anyone could have come into our room. The breakfast was a joke, and the worst breakfast we ever had at a B & B. We had the same thing both days we were there...cold cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, and store-bought donuts and pastries. We can get that at home. No hot food and absolutely nothing homemade were served. The male host of the house was finally seen our second day there, and he walked through the dining room and never said a word, not even introducing himself. The female hostess must not be consistent in her cleaning, or what she serves for breakfast, because what the other guests who gave Topsides an excellent rating must have experienced things entirely different than what we experienced. We have paid the same amount at other bed and breakfasts, and had much nicer rooms, friendlier hosts, and delicious breakfasts. We will NEVER go back there again!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Mary Jo S

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I host a charity golf tournament at nearby Lake Winnipesauke Golf Club every year in July and i always look forward to staying at Topsides. It is perfect for a summer lake-side retreat when you just want the simplicity of a summer home. It is like staying at a friend's lake house. Indeed, innkeepers Cindy and Dennis are like old friends you'd like to have. They are friendly without being intrusive. Morning breakfast is always a fun time to catch up with them on their past-year's travels, and to meet other guests. The rooms are all tastefully decorated, mostly with private baths. The English-themed Hunt Country Room on the second floor, with its own sitting room, is my favorite. At almost half the cost of a room at Wolfboro Inn or the newly refurbished Inn on Main, this is a great value and a great accommodation regardless.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Douglas L
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Recently my family rented the entire Topsides Bed and Breakfast for my nephew's wedding. Being from out-of-town and exhausted from the long drive, we were greeted by a pleasant hostess who showed us the rooms and amenities, making us feel at home immediately.

The entire place is quite charming and very clean! Each room is nicely accented and has its own theme like the Martha's Vineyard room - which I stayed in and it was cheerful and cozy. Each room also has its own bathroom, which is a nice feature considering that many B&B's don't have this amenity. Our breakfasts were tasty and varied - French toast, yogurt, cereal, etc. fresh coffee and juice. While Topsides was so conveniently located to our reception, we realized that it was also very close to town, restaurants and even close a hospital - within walking distance.

If you want that real New England experience you had always hoped for - a B&B with a charming atmosphere and clean bedrooms/bethrooms - this is the place to rent!

My family is already talking about renting the place again for a weekend in Autumn!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PKLmusic
Reviewed 3 January 2013

WOLFEBORO NATIVE! I too booked a room here in October of 2012. I am shocked at reading the previous review. I booked a room for my friend who flew in from Colordao. We had to change his reservation at the last minute due to Hurricane Sandy. NO PROBLEM! We just moved the reservation one week ahead. No extra charges or fees! Of course this was a courtesy that was allowed because of the time of year. I wouldn't dream of them being able to do that in July let's say. The room was immaculate. Beautifully decorated. Cynthia asked my friend what he would like for breakfast and was happy to provide whatever he needed. I too am in customer service in Wolfeboro and I highly reccomend Topsides to people who need a few night stay in Wolfeboro. WALK TO TOWN!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Firstly we arrived at 3.15pm having previously booked and there was no one to meet us, We entered by the unlocked back door where we had parked and called out to summon someone and when nobody arrived we went to the front door and rang the bell a couple of times and still nobody came so we knocked on an internal door marked 'private' but still no answer. Eventually we gave up and went down to the town for a look around before returning a while later. This time the owner was there and quickly told us where to find the tea and coffee etc (in the hall) before showing us to our room 'Martha's vineyard'. The room looked lovely decorated in blue and white but on closer inspection the bath was decidedly dirty with tide marks from several baths by the look of it along with hairs. The bathroom floor had the last occupants many long hairs over the floor along with accumulated grime next to the toilet roll basket and round the edges of the room. The bedroom floor was also full of dust bunnies so obviously hadn't been hoovered for a time.We visited in October and it was chilly but the room had no heating on. My husband asked if we could have some heating as I was very cold and was told that the heating would be turned up but it never came on at all and I spent the evening feeling very cold and uncomfortable. Breakfast was a disappointment...There was a small assortment to help yourselves to.......Bacon, waffles with fake maple syrup, yoghurt. melon and banana. There was no bread, rolls or toast. As I don't eat bacon or waffles, after having a banana and a thin melon slice I was soon hungry again. You had to go out to the hall to get your own tea/coffee. When asked if I'd slept alright I replied 'Yes but that I had been cold during the evening' I got the uncaring answer "Yes, the thermostat shuts off when downstairs reaches the set temperature, and anyway I think it's better for you not to have heating".We were staying another night and were not offered a heater to make us more comfortable. The house on the outside appeared very pretty and nice but there was a strange vibe about the whole place and I didn't enjoy staying there although I cannot explain why (apart from the grubby bath and floors). There are no keys to the room doors. On the plus side it is fair to say that the bed was very comfy and the linen soft and fresh smelling, including the towels.And there is a very nice veranda area in which to sit on warmer days. I would choose somewhere else if visiting Wolfeboro again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sharomaz
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Topsides Bed and Breakfast is a charming, meticulously kept and beautifully decorated B&B. My parents, my sister and her husband, my daughter and her fiancé, my niece and I stayed there for 3 nights for a niece's wedding. Each room has a special decor with elegant appointments that follow the theme and name of each room. I stayed in the "Nantucket Room" and it could not have been more perfect. Cindy, the owner, added to the ambiance with her Virginia charm and warm, vibrant personality. Cindy has the perfect balance of entertaining, caring for her guests, making her home the guests' home, while respecting privacy and personal space. Cindy's furnishings, photographs and decorative pieces tell a story of a lovely lady's journey, which adds to the richness of your visit.
We are all looking forward to staying at Topsides for future holiday, family gatherings.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank hikercrowne
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My parents, sister, niece and her fiance, my daughter, husband and I booked all five bedrooms while attending a family wedding in Wolfeboro, NH. this past weekend. Cindy Schauer is a gracious and welcoming hostess. All of our rooms were very well appointed with large private baths. We adored the cottage/nautical decor and Ralph Lauren bedding. She baked creative breakfasts for us each morning as we lounged in the welcoming dining room. Her dog, Bogart, was an additional treat as he loved to great us each morning as we appeared for our delicious breakfast. We loved the privacy we all had, and the freedom to relax on the adorable cottage porch with summer florals, plants, and a water fountain. The BB is a short walk to the lake and downtown, no car is required. We are already planning a return visit during the holidays.
This BB is a gem and a must to visit at a great rate.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family