“Heavenly!”

The Sand Castle
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
“Heavenly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this luxurious B&B pre-season, and can't wait to return! Every aspect of our stay exceeded our expectations! And the breakfasts could be as healthy or decadent as you wish!

The owner is so accommodating, and friendly. And the coffee, well, I thought I was in France! The rooms are comfy and well appointed. I can't recommend Sand Castle too highly!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank KathleenNuccio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband and I needed a place to stay on LBI for a wedding we were attending. While researching various motels, hotels, etc. I came opon The Sand Castle. While my husband and I have stayed at various B & B's in various states, we have never stayed in one as unique as the Sand Castle! Athough it's billed as a B & B it has the feel of a small resort hotel. Every room has its own unique flavor and its own private entrance to the outside. The ammenities are too many to list here. Nancy is delightful! You immediately feel welcome as she engages you from the moment you meet her like an old friend who has come to visit. The breakfasts that are served in the morning are varied and delicious. Along with about 3 entrees to choose from there are buffet tables filled with homemade breads, cakes, muffins, scones, different breads for toasting, cold cereals and fresh fruit. Also available is coffee, tea, hot chocolate and various juices. In the afternoon Nancy sets out fresh baked cookies, brownies or some other treat for the taking. During the day you have access to pocorn for popping, pretzels spring water, nicely chilled in the fridge and coffee, tea & hot chocolate. The staff is extremely efficient - We went for breakfast and by the time we returned our rooom had been serviced! I have to stress that I am extremely picky with cleanliness - No worry's here everything is pristine and impeccable! Nancy has thought of everything and if by chance you needed something that you didn't see Nancy would do her best to accomodate you. You will definitely feel like a King & Queen at the Sand Castle! So if you need a perfect place in LBI this would be it!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NewJerseySunandfun
putnam county new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Several times a year my wife and I stay at different spots on the shore somewhere in New England. Hands down Sandcastle was the best overall experience we have had in a decade of doing this.

They call it a bed-and-breakfast, but a more fitting description would be that of the mini resort hotel. It's small, only eight rooms. The building is new and not a converted house as is typical of most bed-and-breakfast's. So there is more room, and the bathroom with its huge walk-in shower is not some sort of afterthought. Rather than just the main proprietor, there are staff which were always available without being intrusive.

The breakfast ,is cooked to order, I had eggs Benedict, and spectacular, which is a good thing because the only other option this time of year is a diner about a block away.

If you stay at the shore often, then you know that most hotels fit what I call a "beach standard". This place breaks that rule. The Sandcastle shows no sign of wear and is the cleanest place we have ever stayed, more so than any Hilton I have been in on business trips.

The vibe when we were there was all adults mid-30s to mid-50s, and quiet. You are at the far north end of LBI, which if you are not familiar is not commercial like the South end.They have a DVD player with a decent size flatscreen mounted on the wall and a DVD library, and will lend you a bicycle to get around. There is a rooftop sitting area has a great view of Barnegat Bay, a perfect place to relax and have a glass of wine.

The owner bent over backwards to accommodate us. I really can't say enough good about this place. It is the best overall "hotel experience" I have had for business or pleasure.

That said, are there any cons? Well, it is expensive. We paid $200 a night, and this is during the off-season. There are no elevators, so if you have any physical limitations take that into account when selecting a room. We were on the second floor, and even though my suitcase has wheels, I didn't have the heart to drag it over the beautiful hardwood stairs, luckily we pack light!

We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: If you are at all physically handicapped substitute the view from the top for a more accessible room...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ohtara1211
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Words cannot say how wonderful this B & B is. You are treated like royality. The owner could not possibly do anything more to make your star anymore enjoyable. There is nothing more you could ask for. Rooms are perfect, clean. This place makes you feel at home. You must stay here when you visit LBI.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Bay View". Room was just opened. Facing the corner of Bayview & 8th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce H
Chester County PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

I was looking for a change from the usual motel stay and discovered The Sand Castle. It was my first experience staying at a B and B and I loved everything about it. Every possible amenity is provided and many extra touches make this a very special place. The staff is super friendly and very pleasant to deal with. I loved being able to go get my morning coffee - which was excellent - at any time of the day or night. The popcorn was a great treat in the evening. Breakfast was delicious; great scones! I enjoyed my stay there so much that I returned the following month with my parents. I look forward to another stay there in the fall. It is so popular that most rooms are booked through the rest of the summer. I especially enjoyed the Egrets Landing room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank sccpm
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

My wife and I spent the weekend here and we loved the charming room, the superb breakfasts and the warm- but not cloying- welcome. Our hostess even lent us beach chairs for the day on Sunday after we had checked out. Great spot.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank xmlnovelist
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

I will begin by saying we loved this place so much that we booked for 2011 back when we were there in July/August 2010. Just a short couple of hours drive from New York, this place is a little "heaven" tucked away in Barnegat Light.

Yes, it's all the way on the end but you know what? It's a really great location. You are right near the lighthouse (yes you can walk it but we took the car). You are across the street from the water and you can watch the boats passing by and the sunset.

We stayed in 2 different rooms during our visit. This is because we decided to extend our 3 night stay to 4 and our room was not available for the extension. Well was I glad it wasn't because we got the opportunity to stay in the "Sunset Vista Suite". This room is fantastic! Gorgeous! Beautiful views of the sunset. Four poster king size bed with fire place and jacuzzi and kitchentte. Perfect! Then we stayed in the "Beachcomber" room. This was a very, very pretty room with king size bed, nice size flatscreen tv and a huge bathroom equipped with a large walk-in shower (no tub).

This place is so quiet and relaxing. The pool and premises were always clean and quiet. There's even a jacuzzi outside!!! You can even borrow bikes for free. At night we enjoyed sitting on the roof enjoying the enveing breeze (theres a table and chairs up there). In the afternoon we enjoyed the pool after driving around sightseeing all day.

You get served a delicious breakfast every morning. Nancy is there to greet you and talk to you. She's a really great host! Soda is kept in the kitchentte which is located near the rooms. As for dinner and lunch, there are PLENTY of delicous restaurants all thru the strip. There's a nice restaurant/bar right next door called Kubels. They serve yummy burgers for sure! You can even grab sandwhiches or heros at the deli nearby the lighthouse AFTER you have climbed to the top of it (great pictures here).

Don't forget to take the sunset cruise, it's about $10 right across the street. This is absolutely gorgeous! The beach is gorgeous and clean too. Nice and quiet! Other things to do is drive about 30-45 mins to an amusement park (forgot the name).

For the evening we happen to catch a Rod Stewart impersonator at a place on the strip-lots of fun. By the way, if you are looking for wild crazy fun for nightlife, this end of the strip is not for you.

Anyway, I am so excited about going back all I can do is stare at the website all the time and dream until our return trip this upcoming July/August!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
The Tower Cottage B&B
The Tower Cottage B&B
#1 of 6 in Point Pleasant Beach

Been to The Sand Castle? Share your experiences!