“Very Good Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Long Island, NY
“Very Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

We had an overnight stay because we had a wedding nearby. The hotel was very accommodating to the many guests who were staying there - from check-in until check-out. The room was spotless and appointed with many amenities, including coffee, tea and bottled water. The reception desk was very cordial and attentive. I would recommend a stay here if you are int he area.

Room Tip: If you can, avoid the elevator area.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have never written an online review but felt compelled to do so for this establishment. I previously had a bad experience at an Indigo in Florida which made me extremely skeptical about staying at the Indigo in Basking Ridge but was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel to be clean and the service exceptional! Mishelle & Ali really go completely above and beyond their duties meet your needs. I have never been so impressed with customer service and felt it should be vocalized. 5 star service for a 2 star price really warrents praise. I will be at the Indigo again.

• Stayed August 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here for a baseball tournament. Excellent accomodations. The rooms are large and newly furnished and very comfortable and clean. The hotel service is incredibly friendly and helpful, more so than I find in other hotels. No extra charges for wifi, computer printing, etc... It is great to have a restaurant and full bar in the hotel that is really a restaurant and bar. Wonderful courtyard that is shaded, and private. perfect for dining or working outside if you need to get some work done. Laundry is convenient (especially for baseball tournaments). Great restuarants nearby in two strip centers. basically everything you need is here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Mimi V, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Good Day David K!

First, I want to thank you for your 5 star rating of the Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge! Your review brightened up many faced here when we read it throughout the hotel today. Second, it is always great to hear that you had a great stay! We invite you and the team back again the next time that there is a tournament in town.

Fondly,
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed at this hotel for my family reunion.The stay was perfect! the hotel is in a quiet countryside area.The rooms are absolutely beautiful! i love the hardwood floors and the smoke free policy because i have severe allergies and it was a relief to walk into a hotel room without sneezing orr coughing all day. The rooms are decorative with artsy walls, very spacious, modern , very clean and the staff are warm and friendly! The beds were more comfortable than i expected. The food at the restaurant was delicious! It is a pricey but the taste and quality makes you forget the expense. I would recommend this hotel. the only downside is there is no swimming pool but everything else outweighs that.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Mimi V, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Glisa,

We were all so touched here at the Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge to read your review. It was a pleasure to host your family reunion here and to get to know you all over the long weekend you spent with us. Thank you for choosing our hotel to celebrate your gathering! Looking forward to seeing you all again in the future:)

Kind Regards,
Trumansburg, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I am re-posting my 6/13 review about my reservations experience along with a followup review of our actual stay.

1. Beginnings
This portion of the review concerns my experience booking a reservation.

I have respiratory allergies and must be very careful about smoke, mold and scents in a hotel room. I chose to consider Hotel Indigo due proximity to my destination and lack of carpeting in the rooms.

I stopped by in person and requested to see a room. I was greeted courteously and without attitude by Sophie. Three room viewings and many questions later, Sophie was exceptionally kind, patient and informative--above and beyond in all ways!! Management, hold on to this gem of a woman!

Rooms were exceptionally clean, very basic but comfortable with individual air conditioners controlled by thermostat. Air filters were clean and bedding had no perfume odors (no dryer sheets).

My only criticisms (and the reason it got only 4 stars) of this terrific value, comfortable, nicely decorated but not luxurious hotel are as follows:
1. They use Febreze as a regular part of the cleaning process--terrible for asthmatics.
2. Upon entry into the lobby, a motion sensing device dispenses strong chemical scent--every time anyone passes. This aggravated my asthma over time.

IHG, I beg you to stop mandating use of these scent/anti-scent products which do not enhance your environment and are physically dangerous to some of your guests.

That said, the cleaning staff was kind and willing to withhold the Febreze and air out the room, also willing to use unscented products. Stay tuned for another review after we actually stay!

Thanks again, Sophie!

2. Staying at the Indigo

This is my promised followup to my initial 6/13/13 review:

We are back home after a 2 night stay at the Hotel Indigo. Our overall experience was excellent on most counts. I gave only 4 stars because of the check-in incident I describe below.

We arrived late on Friday night (after 9 pm), 7/12/13, having twice confirmed our very detailed reservation, including the specific room number. We phoned 2 more times, once to inquire about refrigerators in rooms (they are included only with suites and higher end rooms, but John kindly arranged one for our room due to a medical need) and, next, to alert the staff re: late arrival (they hold all rooms until 2 am as a matter of policy). Chemical air freshener was going strong (General Manager, Mimi, later kindly removed this for the duration of our stay, so very sensitive folks might try asking in advance for the same courtesy).

Check in: John was very kind and attentive, but the bottom line---THE UGLY: our room had been reassigned at 2:30 that afternoon. This would have been a deal breaker and elicited the most negative of reviews from me had the new room not been OK and compensation offered. After spending over an hour previewing rooms one month in advance, choosing a specific room due to the air quality as compared with others, and addressing every detail (including confirming and reconfirming reservations for that particular room on the day of arrival), to arrive the night before a wedding and find the room re-assigned without notice was a serious matter. Difficult to understand: it was Sophie (see previous review) who had reassigned the room (perhaps under instructions or following procedure?)! THE GOOD: I eventually spoke with Mimi about all this on Sunday, as we were checking out. She explained that long term guests had decided to extend their stay. I'm not sure why this would extend to giving them a certain room, but that is the explanation I received. In any case, I was given the first (most expensive) night free of charge. The staff all apologized profusely (Mimi, John and Sue, thank you for your kindness and attempts to rescue the situation). Mimi urged me, should we stay again, to apprise her of the details directly, since she has the authority hold the room.

So, obviously, we stayed both nights. The staff had followed all cleaning instructions in the new room with one exception--the a/c. After finding a small amount of mold near the a/c filter, I requested that mold be cleaned from the filter area and that the filter be vacuumed. The mold was cleaned but not the filter. In any case, our stay in room 308 was completely allergy free and we slept well on a comfortable king mattress both nights (note: I also tow an air cleaner with me and had that running, but I don't think it was needed). The a/c is individually controlled and appears to be direct to the outside air for each room. Linens were completely free of scent. Scent free lotion had been provided (but shampoo and rinse were naturally scented). I don't recall scent in the soap, so it must have been mild. All was clean and fresh--very pleasant.

Amenities: We had a single king bed room--the smallest, least expensive room size. It was more than adequate for our purposes. The room includes a small chair and ottoman, built in desk/surface area with desk chair, lamp, tv. There is an iron and ironing board, hair dryer, dry cleaning bags, spacious closet. We had 1 clock with alarm (time was wrong but we never took the time to reset it). We did not use their telephone for external calls, so I don't know how that works. We had issues with wi-fi consistency on my iPhone and my husband's iPad--very unpredictable connection and no streaming (this may change with the location of the room, but would be frustrating if traveling on business). The bathroom small and lacks towel rods, though it is otherwise comfortable, clean, and well designed. Shower only in this room--no bath--but the shower is large, open with a glass partition covering half, and has a moveable/removable seat. One sink only but good counter space. My husband has a disability and is of large build. The bathroom was very small for him and did not allow both of us to use it simultaneously. I'm not sure you could negotiate this with a wheelchair. We did not try the workout room.

Breakfast: We were given free breakfast with our room (on request at reservation), which is not usual with our level of reservation. This was one of the most pleasant surprises at the Indigo. Breakfast is sit down, served in a simple but pleasant (when the air freshener is off) dining room (gratuity included, we were told), and a full range menu. Drink and entree are included. If not included, breakfast entrees ranged from $4-9.00. It was a real treat not to be greeted with sugary "continental" food or overcooked scrambled eggs!!! They even substituted my home fried potatoes with fruit salad.

I think I've covered the bases, here. So, I repeat, the Indigo is a terrific value, very comfortable, nicely decorated with essential amenities but not luxurious hotel whose staff are refreshingly good-natured, professional and accommodating. I recommend it highly and we will likely stay there again. Just be careful re: reservations and special instructions, if you care.

Room Tip: We were in room 308. That side of the building is backed by dense vegetation and tall trees--very p...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Weddington, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I really had an opportunity, this trip, to look more carefully at Hotel Indigo and to review my last year's comments on the Hotel. Upon reflection, I have to say that the management has fixed most all of the things about which I complained last year. The reading lights are still terrible, but the air conditioner worked well, the elevators both were running smoothly, the meals at the inhouse restaurant are fairly priced and you get a lot of food in each serving. The people, of course, are great--the staff is helpful, courteous and ready to do anything to make your stay better. This time, I didn't have to ask for more soap or shampoo--the house staff replaced those every day! I'm happy to have the chance to make these observations because I like the Indigo--where it's located, the look and feel of the hotel. It's like going back to a comfortable place which is always improving!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Rokkij,

Wow! Thank you for re-reviewing us on Trip Advisor. The team and I were happy to read your review and that we have made improvements since your previous stay. We strive to use the feedback from our guests and look for ways that we can make all of our guests stays better.
Thank you for giving us another chance.

Have a great day!
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed here for a meeting recently. Rooms are huge! Very clean, nicely appointed, comfortable beds. Had a couple of drinks at the bar that were made perfectly. Got to see the Old Oak Tree in town, which is a local treasure. All in all, a nice stay.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to cross the double yellow lines when making a left into the parking lot....appar...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Greetings FinsterLongIsland!

Thank you for the great shout out for the Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and got to see the Old Oak Tree which is the inspiration of our neighborhood story and fresh design of the hotel!

Please come back and visit us again soon!

Best,
#2 of 4 in Basking Ridge
HYATT house Branchburg
HYATT house Branchburg
#1 of 5 in Branchburg

Been to Hotel Indigo Basking Ridge? Share your experiences!