“Beautiful Hotel, needs a little TLC”

Dolce Basking Ridge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Basking Ridge
New Jersey
“Beautiful Hotel, needs a little TLC”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I returned to Dolce basking Ridge this weekend after about 4 years. I attended a social event which took place all weekend long. Our group were treated to a terrific kiosk of food, which included a contintenal breakfast, hot/cold beverages all day long, snacks, including jars of candy. Hummas and chips, cookies, brownies and fresh sliced fruits and fresh veggies and dip. The restaurant Vita was a buffet for our lunch and dinner meals. There was always a salad item, hot chicken/beef/veggie option, and fresh fruit. The Dessert bar was a treat with a fresh ice cream different at each meal with a toppings bar, warm dessert treat ( molton chocolate cake- YUM) and cookies or cake.

The sleeping rooms were fine. We have a room with 2 beds- the beds were full. The bathroom had a hair dryer, lotions, and on the wall in the shower was a shampoo/conditioner/body gel, pump option ( something you would see in the nearest health club) I asked for bar soap- but was given a bar of facial- since they said they do not offer body soap due to body gel) that was a little disappointing. While in the bathroom, I noticed that the bathroon vent was extremly dusty and the sprinkler in the ceiling was dusty and dirty. The make up mirror did not work, and that was dusty and oily. a little TLC would be great in this area. Also the paint was peeling off the ceiling alittle too- I was in room 161.

I also read reviews about the pillows- they were feather- okay.

Great location, just a few areas on TLC

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
RussellClarkeNJ, Director of Sales at Dolce Basking Ridge, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Meredith,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I am pleased to hear that the food and beverage and event content met with your expectations. I also appreciate the details that we could add a little TLC to in room 161. Please know those items will be addressed and I do appreciate your review. Looking forward to having you back soon.

Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
NJ
Reviewed 27 February 2012

whether it is a business stay or a family get-away, this hotel has the amenities that will satisfy the most demanding guests. We (family of 4; children are 8 and 10), enjoyed the pool and work out facility. The resturante on the night we stayed was a buffet style service, which for our family was ideal. The food was great and the choices were plentiful. The prices were a tad bit high, but worth it. The location is right off the major highway 287 and in 12 minutes either direction there are plenty of fun things to do and explore. The hotel is like new... no musty smells or worn out carpets. The hotel does host special events that based on our stay, I would go back for because I knwo they can pull it off with style.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Right Hand Turn,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this review. I am pleased to hear the hotel and amenities met with your and your children’s approvals. We look forward to having you back again in the near future.

Russell
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I am compelled to review the Dolce facility to praise its approach to managing the training groups it hosts. As a well-traveled trainer / facilitator, I have the opportunity to use 50 locations worldwide every year. What makes the Dolce stand out is it's attitude to the food it serves and the service it provides both trainer and trainee. The fresh fruit, home prepared foods and abudant vegetables ensures that people can eat right to think right.
The only thing missing from the meeting rooms was natural light - something which makes a world of difference, especially when combatting jet-lag
Like other reviewers I'd add that the bedrooms are looking tired and would benefit from some tlc, but overall this does not stop me from recommending the facility

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
RussellClarkeNJ, Director of Sales at Dolce Basking Ridge, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. We have spent a great deal of time and effort with our nourishment offering and I am pleased to hear positive response. We are enhancing our guestrooms product with the accent walls which are receiving very positive reviews.

Thank you again for your comments and your business.
Central New Jersey
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have never been compelled to write a review until now. When checking out of the hotel, the front desk clerk asked how our stay was. She had to repeat her question because I was half asleep. I said, "Guess why I am so tired?" she said, "The pillows? I said "BINGO!" I was impressed she knew exactly what I was talking about but instead she told me she heard that complaint all the time. She offered no apology, no sympathy, nada, nothing, zilch. Guess she was tired of people complaining about the same thing. HINT HINT! At the very least she could have comped my warm buffet $10 breakfast that was ice cold. Nope. All she cared about was how I was going to pay. I should have offered payment in the form of providing them with new pillows? Bigger rocks? Suffice to say, sleeping there is like laying your head on Mount Vesuvius. Pillows are 3' high and rock hard. Really? Yes. You go to a hotel for sleep when you are away from your beloved bed. Piece of advice, travel with your new BFF, your pillow...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
RussellClarkeNJ, Manager at Dolce Basking Ridge, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Jill A.

Thank you for recent comments concerning your stay with us this month. We have been unaware of the issue with the pillows until your reply and the previous reply, so thank you very much. If you can send me a seperate email to Russell.Clarke@dolce.com we will be pleased to make any and all concessions for your recent stay. I do apologize for the inconvenience and do trust we will be able to resolve this to your satisfaction.

Russell Clarke
San Jose, California
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My first visit to Dolce for a corporate meeting. I understand this used to be an ATT facility for training and it shows a bit. Good service, solid restaurant, great meeting facilities. For me not a "destination" property but a solid choice if you have business meetings nearby or need a conference location.

Room Tip: As always try to get a room away from the road/highway. Road noise (and garbage pick up) were notic...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
singapore
Reviewed 29 November 2011

So maybe the title is a little harsh - my first trip to the US (for work) and i'm put up at the Dolce. Its clean, its comfortable but i am the first to admit that i'm a little spoilt coming from Asia. I really have no complaints, the gym is decent, the indoor pool is a little sad but its no drama, the staff were helpful. It is a good 15 minutes to a mall though and taxis are pretty expensive so something to bear in mind. if you're looking for a 3-star hotel to stay in Basking Ridge, you could do worse than to stay at the Dolce.

Room Tip: Get a room not too far from reception or it'll be a long walk....
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank nil13
Reviewed 5 November 2011

My parents live in Basking Ridge so we never needed to stay in any local hotels. However, when the recent storm hit and power was out for 5 nights at their residence, I knew they had to be relocated to a hotel.
I called and booked a room for them a few days after the blackout began, not expecting any rooms to be available. However, I was lucky enough to book them one of the last rooms.
I spoke with them every day they were there (3 or 4 nights) and they kept raving about the great service and excellent food. The general manager, Dan, was extremely accommodating to my mom and dad. My mother is in a wheelchair and said everyone went above and beyond to help her.
They were extremely grateful to Dan and the staff for making the best of a pretty crummy situation.
I never write reviews but felt the Dolce's service during the aftermath of the storm and power outages was exceptional. My parents want to return to have their buffet dinner (a steal at $16)
Sure, the Marriott nearby is cheaper. You get what you pay for, and the Dolce is a gem. Well done and thank you to Dan for making my parents happy and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2011
Bernards Inn
Bernards Inn
#1 of 1 in Bernardsville
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn

Been to Dolce Basking Ridge? Share your experiences!