I travel a lot for business, mostly Marriott and Hilton. I come to this part of New Jersey about 15 times per year and I decided to take a chance on the Olde Mill. I figured it would be a nice break from the chain hotels and some of the reviews on this site were positive.
Basically, it is not a business traveler hotel but it is proably nice for functions like a wedding or other where you can eat, drink and not drive.
The rooms are actually nice enough. A mix of 1980s furniture but very good beds and good linens. The bathroom is clean and seems nice enough But. ..there are some drawbacks that will keep me from coming back and giving this place a second chance.
The internet connection is managed by a small-tme third party provider and I got dropped 5 times over 5 hours tonight. This is not a funciton of my VPN or other as this does not happen to me at other hotels.
The room climate control is via a 1980s window style air conditioner/heat pump where you turn the knobs on it to control heat/cool. There is no heat or AC in the bathroom other than a red heat lamp in the bathroom ceiling. The AC.heat pump unit is just too loud to be on a conference call as it kills the sound. It is also pretty loud for sleeping but I can get over that.. .
Also, the plumbing is very loud. When the room next door turns on their water, you really hear the pipes quite loudly in your room. This again, interferes with conference calls and can be a bit annoying when you are layng in bed.
I woudl call this an OK hotel for a function/stay combination for one night but would not recommend it for business travelers. It is a step above a motor lodge but not a business traveler hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Olde Mill Inn, a picturesque American Country Inn, welcomes a new generation of guests with its heritage of warmth and hospitality dating back to the Revolutionary War. Nestled in the rolling landscape of New Jersey's Somerset Hills, The Olde Mill Inn provides Inn Style elegance in weddings, meetings, dining, and overnight accommodations. At the Grain House Restaurant, experience the historic ambiance while savoring the tastes of today. Open for Lunch & Dinner Daily, Saturday à la Carte Brunch and Sunday Brunch Buffet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your The Olde Mill Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Olde Mill Hotel Basking Ridge
- Olde Mill Hotel And Grain