We stayed here for a destination wedding right after Christmas which should have meant a ton of stress and minimal staff to handle things. We could not have been more wrong!
My wife and I both work in the hotel industry and are therefore painfully aware of when a hotel could do better. We were completely blown away however with this Inn's ability to handle not only the wedding we were attending, but FIVE...FIVE others over the same weekend. EVERY staff interaction was bright, cheerful, and extremely helpful as if we were the first people to walk through their doors. Let me add that we were travelling with our 15-month old daughter, two elderly parents, and a member of the party with physical needs. But every detail that had been planned out was flawlessly executed by the staff leaving us to be able to focus on the wedding. Every area seemed fully staffed and there was never a shortage of someone to help!
The food was excellent, from the groomsmens' lunch to the reception and dinner, everything was perfectly prepared and served with smiles. Changes were handled quickly and efficiently, and overall for the event aspect they were great. If I ever found out we were attending a wedding at this venue again I would jump at the chance (and recommend the mashed potato bar as well as several other items)!
On the rooms side, this was everything we needed. After a long and stressful road trip we found helpful Front Desk agents. We then got into our room to find it clean, quiet, and big enough (even with the king bed) for our daughter's portable crib we brought. Speaking of which our bed was SUPER-COMFORTABLE and we were both able to sleep very well. I feel I must again emphasize how CLEAN this room felt: sink and tub surfaces had that "sqeaky clean" feel when I touched it (again we know how these things sometimes are so I was impressed). I sometimes feel congested staying in hotel rooms due to air quality but this room was FRESH. Also, for a room that used the in-wall style of HVAC unit typically found in lower-end venues we were easily able to maintain a comfortable temperature all weekend. All I can say is there were a couple of MINOR things like a loose piece of trim work, a small crack in one tile that I could see had been patched, and overall the decor seemed too "old stlye" for me but A) Did not affect room comfort or enjoyment B) Had been repaired so just an observation C) just my personal taste. Plus I understand they are renovating the rooms next year anyway.
The floor structure and building design can be a little tricky to naviagate (two seperate floors have rooms in the 200-range but they had signage all over the place and in elevators to handle that. The few times anyone in our party got turned around staff was always able and willing to help.
Location was also good being close to the local family who was getting married, the church, and airport. Just don't count on taxi service being out there (not the venue's fault) which is how I found out you could throw the Best Man in a car and get to the airport in under 30 minutes (good access to 278/ 78).
PROS: Great staff, comfortable beds, clean rooms, able to handle multiple weddings, made our stressful weekend much less stressful. Made our event feel like it was "the only thing going on" and made us all feel welcome.
CONS: Layout can be confusing (check the signage), Decor looks dated (but goes with the theme of the building and surrounding town).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Olde Mill Inn, a picturesque American Country Inn, welcomes a new generation of guests with its heritage of warmth and hospitality dating back to the Revolutionary War. Nestled in the rolling landscape of New Jersey's Somerset Hills, The Olde Mill Inn provides Inn Style elegance in weddings, meetings, dining, and overnight accommodations. At the Grain House Restaurant, experience the historic ambiance while savoring the tastes of today. Open for Lunch & Dinner Daily, Saturday à la Carte Brunch and Sunday Brunch Buffet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your The Olde Mill Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Olde Mill Hotel Basking Ridge
- Olde Mill Hotel And Grain