“Best Restaurant on the Island”
Review of The Gables

The Gables
Reserve with OpenTable
The Gables is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 93 Restaurants in Beach Haven
Price range: US$50 - US$100
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Glorious Food - Gracious Lodging or a dining experience that is an exercise in the sensuous, the savory and the sweet, look no further than The Gables, a romantic restaurant in Beach Haven, New Jersey. Regardless of whether you choose our exciting, new Grazing Menu, or dine a la carte, candlelight dining at The Gables Inn and Restaurant makes any day a special occasion. Meals are brilliantly orchestrated by our Chef, Richard Diemer. Every dish manages to wow, comfort and excite. Presentations are lovely without being pretentious. Menus change daily; culinary inspiration is drawn from whatever impeccably fresh ingredients are at their best that morning. Produce from local New Jersey farms, micro greens from Blue Moon Acres, Buckingham, Pennsylvania, Niman Ranch organic meats, D’Artagnan organic poultry, fresh diver scallops from Long Beach Island’s surrounding waters, Prince Edward Island mussels, and lobsters exclusively from Maine, take pride of place. We also take pleasure in presenting a selection of award-winning wines from NJ’s Bellview Winery to enhance your enjoyment.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Make a reservation....sit on the porch. We did so even during a rainy night and it was magical. It is an elegant room, with excellent service.

The food is the best on the island. The preparations were evident.

We had the scallops, which we decided was the best item on the menu. Also the halibut was perfectly cooked. My mom had the veggie plate with lots of tasty choices and none of which was pasta which is always a plus for a vegetarian.

We had the deconstructed smores with the salted carmel ice cream. Excellent.

All in all a very special night.

2  Thank Christineabella

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Good restaurant. We enjoyed our dinner here. We did not order any drinks because they only offer full bottles of wine (no beers or cocktails are available). I was surprised that some of the men wore blazers on an August evening, and everybody was very well dressed. Nice place. Prices are normal for such a good spot, decent value, no surprises. Entrees range from $24 to $60 and most entrees are in the $30's. Recommended.

2  Thank AlanG1211
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I vacation every year at LBI and tried this restaurant for the 2nd year in a row. We both love good food and don't shy away from dropping some cash on a great meal, but I walked away feeling like I would've rather eaten at the nearby pub because I would've gotten what I expected.

Here's the summary:
Appetizers - both of our appetizers were wonderful and set the stage for what I thought would be a great meal. Raviolo al Uovo was absolutely delicious. There is an egg inside the ravioli that oozed out when you cut into it although the waitress nor menu described this. Burrata mozzarella was also delicious.

Entrees: my husband had the ribeye steak which was delicious and cooked perfectly. The potatoes were under seasoned. I had the duck. The waitress initially described it as not cooked all the way and corrected herself by saying it is cooked rare to medium rare (the way duck should be). It came out way over cooked almost well done and was tough and chewy. The kale was over salted. Overall the duck was terrible.

Dessert: I had the strawberry shortcake and my husband had the lemon trio. Both were delicious.

Service: mediocre. The descriptions of the food were rehearsed. I told the waitress about the duck (how it was over cooked and greens were salty) I said if I were the chef I'd want the feedback. She apologized but didn't sound surprised. I watched what she did with the plate of uneaten food and she handed it to the bus boy without a 2nd look. When we first got to the restaurant the hostess asked us how to correctly spell our last name three or four times even though they already had it written down for our reservation.

What was done right was very good but I was left with an overall feeling of the owner and chef having a lack of pride.

4  Thank LibbieCococcia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were going to see Spamalot at the Surflight Theatre and wanted to have a beautiful and relaxed dinner with our adult daughters and grandaughter from Key West.The evening was beautiful--we were on the porch enjoying the fresh air, and were served an exquisite dinner on a white tablecloth with fine china. The wait staff and hostess were gracious, knowledgeable and time sensitive. The evening was wonderful.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We make sure to dine at The Gables every time we visit LBI. The food is so lovingly prepared and only the freshest ingredients used, that it is always a special meal. We have eaten out on the front porch with it's hanging plants and beautiful breezes, inside next to the fireplace and in the back courtyard where you feel like you're at a garden party - all of them wonderful in their own right. I love the crisp linen, and beautiful glassware. This is a BYOB although they do have a limited wine menu. I ordered gnocchi with a sausage bolognese- truly better and lighter than I had in Italy. Others at the table had the halibut, Atlantic salmon and Lamb- we all loved our meals. The portobello fries as an appetizer are a must as is the creme brule. Last time we went we had 8pm dinner reservations and felt rushed at the end of our meal so be sure to get there earlier. Have also gotten the prix fixe meal in the past but as I am allergic to seafood the substitutions that were made I feel were disappointing. Such as substituting a shrimp cocktail with salad greens-not comparable. But the prix fixe is a treat! Restaurants on the island are pricey to begin with (having to make most of their money in one season) but when you compare the service, menu offerings and quality of The Gables to others it an excellent value. You can pay just as much at some of the larger restaurants and not be able to BYOB- we love it here!

2  Thank CTMDM