“Do not host an event here!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gables

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beach Haven
The Gables
Ranked #6 of 8 Beach Haven B&B and Inns
Belleville, NJ
“Do not host an event here!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

As part of a bridal party, we booked a bridal tea on a Sunday afternoon. First of all, Sondra, the GM, never responded to our emails and thus, we were always forced to call her. Moreover, SHE NEVER GAVE US A CONTRACT! BEWARE! We arrived in LBI early, so we decided to see if we could get into the room early (half an hour) to begin setting up. Sondra agreed, though passive aggressively and snidely reminded us how early we were. We had the room booked until 4:30, but the staff decided to begin cleaning up at 4:10, IN FRONT OF OUR BRIDE, something we obviously didn't want her to see. Then, at 4:25, Sondra went up to the MOH and reminded her that she needed the room for dinner service. She never once checked in with us to see how the event was running and THE BRIDAL PARTY HAD TO PASS THE APPETIZERS OURSELVES! Additionally, about 20 minutes after lunch was served, the dessert came out. It was a terrible time for dessert as well, since the bride was in the middle of opening gifts. We left very upset with the service and unprofessionalism of Sondra. It's horrible business to treat people, who are handing over a hefty check to you for an event, in such an unprofessional and rude way. BEWARE WHEN DOING BUSINESS WITH THE GENERAL MANAGER AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE CLEAR WITH YOUR EXPECTATIONS. She said because we arrived early to set up the room, we had the space much longer than what was agreed upon and that's why she started cleaning up early. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP ALL OF YOUR EMAILS AND CORRESPONDENCE, AND DEMAND A CONTRACT!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank CESmith785

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

My boyfriend and I booked a room for one night at the Gables Inn in Beach Haven, NJ after viewing lovely pictures on their website. As expected the entire first floor is devoted to the restaurant but I was delighted to see the wonderful library on the second floor that serves as the common room & is stocked all days with homemade cookies & drinks. The whole inn is decorated with gorgeous & romantic French flair, completely wallpapered rooms, antique furniture & chandeliers. We stayed in the Provence room on the third floor. It was tiny but somehow adorable. The bed was tucked under the eaves, getting out one side can be a problem. Their is a powder room with a sink and toilet in the room, but the full bathroom with shower and jetted tub is at the bottom of the steps on the second floor. Tho it is done completely in marble with a beautiful antique sink, plenty of large towels and robes are supplied, this is not noted on the website. There is another room on the third floor and tho not occupied on our visit, it may be uncomfortable to be running up and down the stairs in robes when someone is in that room. The staff and owners were very gracious and helpful. The inn is located only 2 blocks to the beach and a short walk to all of the town's activites and shops, so you can park your car and leave it the entire stay. We chose not to eat dinner at the restaurant but it was beautifully set with candles burning everywhere, pretty table cloths and flowers. We did of course enjoy a breakfast on the outside covered porch which included the above. Service was timely and attentive. There are choices for breakfast which included fruit, breads and juices. I devoured blueberry pancakes (really stuffed) and my boyfriend had eggs with fabulous grilled potatoes. One problem is that there is no area outside devoted to relaxing for the inn guests as it is all set up for the restaurant, tho we did spend much of our time on the beach and in the town. Overall a fun getaway for us.

Room Tip: The two third floor rooms are tiny, second floor larger. Confirm bathroom situations before booking.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank PennsylvaniaLady2009
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

I just had the best lamb done three ways. I have run the finest restaurants across the Conutry and I was amazed how great it was.

Also recommend the crab cake.

I will be back

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Beachhaven123
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

Had dinner with my husband at the The Gables. Beautiful setting and fabulous cuisine! Plus you can bring your own wine!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank riverrat5270
Hamburg, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

I do not believe their is a finer dining experience on the Island than at the Gables. The dinner outing with our family was special, the ambiance extrodinary and the food and service excellent. .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank J S
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

My wife, my sister and I were looking for a place to have a Sunday brunch and saw the near perfect reviews of The Gables. Seemed like a no brainer to go give it a shot. We made reservations for 11am. We sat down at 11:10 and were not given menus until about 11:25. (I don't know why the hostess did not give them to us). We waited another 15 minutes for someone to get us coffee. When we did manage to get our orders in our food did not come for another 35 minutes - Well my wife and my sister got their food. I was sitting there with nothing for the next 12 minutes. When my food did come, my sister and wife's food was already cold. I noticed that my potatoes were some sort of frozen microwave instant things. My wife and sister had the normal home fry style potatoes with their omelets. I saw that someone else had ordered what i had (eggs Benedict) and got the normal homefries. It seems like someone in the kitchen got lazy. Oh and did i mention that we were sitting with empty coffee cups for a half hour prior. The food was abysmal. My wife and sister ordered the mushroom and provolone omelet and received some dry gross frittata looking thing. I ordered the eggs Benedict with a chive hollandaise sauce. There were no chives to be found, it was served over a rubbery English muffin, and I was given the insulting potatoes. We looked around to see how other people were doing. It turns out we were the least pissed off out of everyone on the outside patio. There were a number of tables that were turning their heads wondering where there servers were. The table next to us had a party of 9 and it took about 30 minutes from when the first plate was dropped for the rest of them to get their food. There were a number of people looking for a manager. We each had about 2 bites of the slop they had tried to served us and then asked for the check. That was another 15 minute wait. It was almost comical how bad the service and food were. After someone had dropped off the check, my wife walked to the front desk to speak to a manager. When she had asked if she could speak to a manager I was like the girl at the desk knew exactly what was coming next. Turns out the girl at the desk was the manager and when we told her of our experience, she took our check and said don't worry about it. Im not sure what was going on there but it seemed like an establishment that was falling apart. The manager was very understanding and did do the right thing by taking care of the check. All in all the gables was a 2.5 hour void of anger and confusion. If this food / service is the norm for the gables, I can't see this place being around very much longer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank cea303cea
central jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

The Gables is a gorgeously restored Victorian manor that is part B&B and part restaurant. Although a computer glitch at check-in caused us to be charged the wrong room rate, the innkeeper quickly stepped in to rectify the situation. She and the entire staff were friendly, accommodating, and efficient. The grounds are beautiful, but since the entire first floor is devoted to the restaurant, guests of the B&B couldn't really "hang out" in the garden or on the porch. The only common area for guests was a cozy but dark library on the 2nd floor--not really a place to relax in the evening but on the upside, it's stocked all day with gourmet coffees/teas and delicious fresh cookies.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach

Been to The Gables? Share your experiences!