“Lacks outdoor space to relax”
Review of The Gables

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beach Haven
The Gables
Ranked #5 of 7 Beach Haven B&B and Inns
New York
“Lacks outdoor space to relax”
Reviewed 4 August 2008

The Gables is beautifully decorated and appointed (marble baths, fine linens, plush bathrobes, fine toiletries) and is centrally located in Beach Haven, but it lacks one amenity crucial for relaxation at a beach inn- outdoor space to relax. The rooms are a bit small and quirky- ours had a sloped roof above the bed that you could hit your head on if not careful, and although a half bath was attached to the room, our private full bath was down a not private stairwell. But I like charming and quirky places and could have easily overlooked these aspects. What seriously compromised our ability to enjoy our stay there was that there was no common outdoor space for guests to relax. The Gables has a popular and fine, although quite expensive, restaurant, and the front porch and back patio are reserved for the restaurant. So after enough sun at the beach or on a rainy day, when we would have loved to sit outside on a covered porch to read a book or have a glass of wine, there was nowhere to do so. The only common space was a small, dark, indoor sitting room.

The quality of the breakfast was quite good, but the choices were very limited. They offered a choice of three entrees, and they only served guests from 9-10 am. They should at least have coffee available earlier. We're early risers and like coffee early in the morning, so even though we paid $300 for our room in a bed and breakfast, we had to go next door to the bagel place to buy a $2 coffee!

Since staying at the Gables, we stayed at the Victoria Guest House in Beach Haven, and the difference was stark. Although the Victoria may not be as opulently appointed- no toiletries, no marble baths, no bathrobes- what it lacked in this respect it more than made up for in other ways. There are lots of outdoor porches and balconies with couches, tables, rocking chairs, and a hammock for relaxation. They provide beach badges, beach chairs, bottled water, and bicycles free of charge. They offer a nice buffet breakfast and had coffee available at 7 am! Actually, they have a single serving coffee maker as well as a refrigerator available for guests 24 hrs. We enjoyed early morning coffee and early evening wine chilled from the refrigerator on their very relaxing porch each day.

I hope the owners of the Gables read this review and make a few changes, because if they did, it could be a very nice place to stay. They have restored and decorated the space so beautifully, but its business as a restaurant compromises its appeal as an inn. So as it is, I wouldn't recommend it to friends.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1966traveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New Jersey
Reviewed 16 July 2008

I had booked a room at The Gables for a romantic getaway for an anniversary...and it wasn't that great. First of all, the rooms are wayyyy too small for what you pay. Our room was on the third floor and the shower was on the second floor. Granted we had a half bath in our room however we had to trek down a flight of stairs, that were not private, to shower. The bed in our room was obviously old and did not fit the bed frame well and it was lopsided and practically falling off. Our "breakfast" was only a choice of three options (french toast, scrambled eggs, or oatmeal) that were given verbally by the waiter (no menu). The breakfast food was ok--I'm sure we could have gotten better food elsewhere on the island. There is also no "common" area for guests to relax or hang out. There is a "sitting room" which is basically a hallway that they stuffed a couch into. We were basically ignored our entire stay there--while I realize that their main business is the restaurant it would be nice if they took more of an interest in their guests--especially since it's NOT a cheap place to stay!
The location IS great though--and you can get beach chairs and badges which was nice. Honestly, I'm sure there are better B&B's on the island...I will never go back there and will not recommend it either.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — We were ignored the entire trip!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Ney Yrok City
Reviewed 18 May 2008

my experience at The Gables was truly wonderful. The rooms are graciously appointed with jacuzzi's and remote control fireplaces. The food was beyond great. The entire experience was definitely ". Top Notch". And so close to the beach.....great any time of year. I like it in the winter for some "recharge my batteries" time. I felt well cared for and at home. Thanks guys.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Thom013
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 May 2008

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend for our 25th wedding anniversity. It was one of the best places I have ever stayed, This bed and breakfast is a lovely victorian syle house with beautiful paintings and lamps etc...
We stayed in the Bailey Lloyd room. The room was very romantic with a red clawed tub in the room that has jet sprays in it. There are other great rooms as well. My husband and I had a great time. We ate dinner in the dinning area downstairs and can not rave enough about how goood the food was. The beachfront is a stone throw away. We even enjoyed a lovely walk after breakfast on Sunday. In a nutshell, our weekend was superb. We definitely recommend that you visit the Gables and have a fabulous and romantic weekend like we did.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank teejay49
Livingston
Reviewed 18 July 2007

The Gables is a beautiful and intimate inn centrally located in Beach Haven. Our room was adorable and the service was excellent. Breakfast was delicious and we had a gourmet dinner at the Inn on Saturday night that rivaled any top restaurant in NYC. The new owners are very accomodating and have restored the Gables beautifully. We highly recommend the Gables for a perfect week-end getaway.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank ahuva888
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 30 October 2006

My wife and I just returned from a long weekend at the newly renovated Gables Restaurant & Inn. In short, it was a FANTASTIC experience that we hope to repeat soon. I've visited Long Beach Island several times a year for the past decade and can honestly say that the Gables not only offers the nicest acommodations I've seen on the Island (comfortable beds, gorgeous Victorian decor--each room with its own distinct character and charm, remote controlled fire place, flat panel TV with DVD player, marble bath and jacuzzi tub!), but the best FOOD as well.

The Inn staff was courteous and helpful. The room was spotless. If it weren't for the very friendly staff and some of the NJ accents, I might have forgotten we were on LBI and not in Europe. The Inn is a block from one of the nicest beaches on the East Coast and there a bunch of neat shops nearby. My wife especially liked the chocolate shop next door.

We ate all our meals at the Gables' restaurant, which was a good thing. Everything tasted great. The service was superb, without seeming stuffy.

If you plan to visit LBI, at the very least, pop your head into The Gables for a quick look. The owners and staff have done an amazing job of renovating this historic inn.

Sean & Renata Moore

• Liked — The comfort and character of the rooms. And the food.
  • Disliked — Leaving. Ha!
  • Tips/Secrets — A guestroom on the third floor has an outrageous red clawfoot bubble tub. Really cool looking!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank seanerenata
Barnegat NJ
Reviewed 7 September 2006

A friend and I had a most delightful time and lunch at The Gables this afternoon. The food was unique and delicious...our server was attentive and the ambiance was cheerful, Nantucket-like and romantic. The new owners have restored this wonderful landmark to a "T"...wait until you see the new outside garden!
Chris from Barnegat NJ

#1 of 5 in Barnegat Light
Sea Spray Motel
Sea Spray Motel
#7 of 12 in Beach Haven

Been to The Gables? Share your experiences!