All reviews palm trees martini bar cocktail hour fish tacos island resort great food and drinks lounge chairs live music sushi beach club thursday night wedding weekend can't wait to come back off season memorial day family vacation nice pool
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in Ocean view room. Great view, clean room, nicely lit, tasteful tropics-style decor and clean washroom. Was informed in advance of music / party until 2 am on Thursday night - not issue for us. Friendly staff. Nice property with heated pool, pool chairs, tiki bar, and beach chairs.

Date of stay: May 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank IfYouCare4MyViews
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just wrapped up our amazing wedding weekend at the Seashell. It was everything I could possibly ask for and more! The property looks amazing post sandy Reno. My out of towns guests thought it was adorable, the food was amazing, the staff was super attentive and the wedding planners were fabulous!
The night before my wedding the staff warned me the rooms above the bar are super loud so they booked me on the parking lot side to get a good night sleep. There were torrential rains on my "beach wedding day" and the wedding planners worked hard to ensure everything indoors was perfect! The rain was irrelevant by the time the ceremony started bec everything looked beautiful and went off without a hitch! I can't say enough good things about this place and the staff. I've always loved the shell for a drink or happy hour but now having worked so personally with everyone for the last ten months I feel like we couldn't have made a better decision about where to host our wedding! I can't wait to come back after the honeymoon for a drink by the tiki bar!

1  Thank BethRav
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Seashell has a clean and good looking property and the catering for the wedding was great, bartenders are quick and attentive. The room was modern and clean but there are drawbacks. Wifi is provided but they don't guarantee coverage to all rooms. The premium ocean front rooms don't get a signal so if I wanted to check email I had to walk down to the lobby with my computer. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE in 2014. They spend the money on motion detector lights to conserve energy but not run an RJ45 wire for a wireless access point? This needs to be rectified as I don't think one should have to leave their room to check email. Also, the oceanfront rooms are not for folks wanting a quiet and relaxing getaway. Expect loud noise all night long, we didn't and as a result had very little sleep. Because of the age of the place you must go outside to get to your room and with luggage and in the chilly off season, a negative. If the music and wifi were addressed it would get a higher score but I'm being generous with this score.

Room tip: ocean views were great, but no wifi and loud noise detracted.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank fishnmb
TJH1957, Owner at Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

We thank you for your recent review and would like to address your concerns. We do not offer WIFI in our rooms, and do not even suggest that their is coverage there. There is wireless internet access, along with a public office computer station available in our resort's lobby. Being an oceanfront property we are built to a very high structural standard, the entire building is solid cement. WIFI in the rooms would be impossible without direct wiring. Some other properties do this, but they also charge for it. We feel that most vacationers these days are accessing their email from their smartphones, perhaps this might be an option for you in the future. Regarding the noise in your room that night; Yes, indeed we are sure you heard the DJ, that was working the wedding reception that you were attending. We strongly warn all guests that those six rooms that are directly above the banquet room can be loud. If we neglected to warn you properly, we are very sorry. Truth be told we have never had a wedding guest complain about the music coming a wedding that they were attending. Perhaps you just turned in early, and again we are sorry if it was a bit loud for you. A resort by definition offers it's guests a vacation that allows them a wonderful experience without needing to leave the property. This is done by providing excellent accommodations, food and beverage, entertainment and activities. The Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club does all this in a most excellent manner. When you arrive at the Sea Shell, there is no reason to leave until you have to go back home. We are the definition of a resort. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We went back to Beach Haven, NJ not quite knowing what to expect after Sandy. We were there the week of September 9th. We had gorgeous weather! The Sea Shell which was badly damaged looked fantastic. They had all new outdoor furniture which was far better than the plastic chairs and tables they used to have. And as usual, the room was very clean, the staff, really nice. You could see the new plantings in the new dunes and it's still a really great vacation spot.

We took a ride around and could see where houses were missing and alot of re-construction going on. That was sobering but the people in the stores and restaurants were so optimistic and seemed genuinely glad that tourists didn't "give up on them". I had heard that the numbers were down about 25% but we wanted to put our money back into the place that's given us so much joy over the years.

Room tip: Love the 2nd floor facing south, even though you aren't in an ocean front room, the view is still great.
Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Denise S
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We live close by (less than an hr) so we thought we would stay here as a romantic weekend get away ( family had visited with their kids and liked it.) They did tell us abt the dining room that turns into a club room at night so we planned our trip in Sept during the off season. Well little did we know that they hold weddings here in Sept.! We were awoken the first night (Fri) from 11p.m. on, with rowdy obviously drunk party people, cursing as it was obvious they were having problems unlocking the door to the rooms with the ridiculous magnet door swipes! We were sober and had a difficult time as did other guests we spoke to. When I had called the resort the end of July to book I asked for one of the Ocean Deluxe rooms I was told none were available, that should have been a hint that something was going on.So as we make our way to the tiki bar to have a cocktail with friends who came down to join us for the day, we were disappointed to find the wedding was in full swing, occupying a tiki bar and with signs that read "Private Party" on the dining room doors. Also the heated outdoor pool had signs around it saying something like "no splashing in this area". Really? Anyway, we won"t be going back. We will rent a house for a week, or stay down in CAPE MAY!

Room tip: Oceanside rooms in the summer are noisy at night, club is below.
Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank TheresaDeanMoore
TJH1957, Owner at Sea Shell Resort and Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

We are so sorry you were disturbed during your stay. Regarding your issue with our locking system; they are radio frequency locks, the absolute state of the art system available. We literally cannot remember anyone having problems with this system, it is so very easy, you simply hold the card key in front of the lock and it opens, SIMPLE. We use this system because our doors are exterior and it does not allow sand to enter the lock like other systems. The night in question, we did have guests from the next days wedding having drinks at the Tiki Bar, cannot imagine your issue with that, they are simply customers like you, and there were only about fifteen of them. There was a wedding going on in our banquet room, and yes there is a sign on the door saying "private party", again not sure why this is an issue. Regarding the sign at the pool that says "wedding in progress, no splashing", that sign goes up for about 20 minutes while our couples are exchanging vows on the beach, so there are no accidental cannonballs. Hoping you will give us another try.