“Ocean is close and nice restaurant and bar, but outdated/small rooms”
Review of Spray Beach Hotel

Spray Beach Hotel
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Beach Haven
Rexford, New York
“Ocean is close and nice restaurant and bar, but outdated/small rooms”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had stayed here in sept 2012 offseason for a few days. Overall we liked the place so we booked again for July 2014. The room was small and outdated, but clean. I wish it was a little more colorful, but since we do not stay in the room that long they are okay. We had a 1st floor jacuzzi room. The main problem was that the mattress was way too hard and very uncomfortable. I almost considered sleeping in the car. I asked the front desk if they had any foam toppers but they had none. They said they have stiffer mattresses since so many people have back problems. The woman was friendly and wished she could be more helpful. The air conditioning only cools the one side of the room. The bathroom side stayed warm. We did need to call maintenance to change a lightbulb and they there within 5 minutes even though it was around 8:30 at night. The pool area seemed nice, but we did not use it at all. There were always too many people there and the chlorine smell was too strong for us. For the good part, the proximity to the beach was great! You could hear the ocean waves from the room. We especially liked the onsite restaurant that served all 3 meal times. Not many resorts on the island serve breakfast. The food was good and reasonably priced for a resort town. You can see the ocean from the outdoor patio. Most of the staff was very friendly, but one of the female bartenders was somewhat rude and not very friendly. As I stated earlier, overall it was a nice place. However, we plan to try another place for our next trip. We prefer a more updated and larger room and one with a closer walking distance to the main things to do in beach haven.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DonnaH2334
Spray_Beach_Inn, Manager at Spray Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear you were displeased with our mattress selection. As illustrated by our maintenance staffs swift response to your request for a replacement light bulb, you can see we take the maintenance and cleanliness of our hotel very seriously. For the safety of our guests and as per NJ code, our pool is tested every two hours and chemicals are adjusted to ensure the necessary levels are correct.
I am glad to hear you were pleased with our restaurant. Comments such as your are invaluable to our hotel as they help us to constantly reevaluate our policies and general upkeep of the property. I do hope that you change your mind and decide to stay with us again in the future, as you will always be welcome.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Went w a party of 8.. Most ordered the early bird. The early bird comes w pork pot stickers and nothing else can be substituted so if you're a vegetarian or on a specific diet, too bad for you basically. My sister ordered the clams casino and before ordering, asked the waitress if bacon was on the clams casino to which she replied, "Definitely not." When the clams casino came, bacon was right on top of each of them. She was apologetic, but if one is not sure; ask the chef. The dinners came w appetizer plates, soup plates, and salad plates still all over our table. The dinners were tasteless and my salmon was cooked to death. My drink sat empty for most of the meal as well. When the dessert was done and the check was paid, my soup cup was still sitting on my table. If you're going to pay that much for a nice dinner experience, do yourself a favor and drive to the Engleside Inn. The food there is amazing.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jamie E
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear you were displeased with your dining experience. To ensure an excellent value, the Early Bird dinners do not allow substitutions. I do apologize that you did not receive the exceptional service for which we are known. I wish that you had let us know so that we may have had a chance to turn your experience into a positive visit. I do hope that you will visit us again so that we may show you how good our food and service can be.

Travellers are raving about these Beach Haven hotels

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I grew up in North Jersey and my family, as well as many of my childhood friends, are scattered throughout the state. Typically when we visit, we stay with family "inland" and always plan a visit to the shore as I go thru "ocean withdrawals" if I don't see it/smell it/hear it every few months. This past visit (mid-May) we decided to stay at the Spray Beach Inn instead. It was amazing! Absolutely perfect! We stayed in a 3rd floor oceanfront room and the views were breathtaking! As it was "off season".. there was no traffic at all and we were able to get to the mainland in under 10 minutes -so visiting family/friends was no problem at all. The rates were reasonable and the view definitely satisfied my withdrawals! You are so close to the water that even with windows closed you could still hear the sound of the ocean! My only complaint is that during off season, the restaurant is not open. Because the hotel is not located within walking distance to any eating establishments - it made grabbing a quick breakfast or a burger for dinner an "excursion". It would have been nice to have the choice of eating at the hotel instead of getting the car and driving somewhere every time you wanted to grab a bite - which is the reason for the overall rating of 4 vs. 5. I would also like to mention that this hotel was not my first choice. I originally wanted to stay at an oceanfront hotel in Ship Bottom that had private balconies, however, when I spoke with the girl in reservations and asked about any package or discounts for staying 5+ nights off season - she told me the owner would need to get back to me - and that person never did! Meanwhile "Erica" in reservations at the Spray Beach Inn was very happy to not only answer all my questions - but assure me that although they don't have private balconies, etc... that I would not be disappointed. I reserved with Spray Beach due to the outstanding customer service I received from Erica. During our 5 day stay in May, my husband and I visited the "other hotel" and asked if we could get a tour of the room. While the room was much more spacious and more modern - the view was not nearly as breathtaking! The hotel is set further back from the water with grassy dunes separating you from the ocean - so we definitely made the better choice! We are planning a 4 night stay for end of September and plan to make this our permanent "home away from home" when visiting family in the future.

Room Tip: You don't get a view of the ocean from the 1st floor - only the sand dune! 2nd floor has "...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TriStateTravelers
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our motel on Trip Advisor. It is so wonderful to read such positive comments about our motel. I can see you love it as much as we do! Thank you for specifically mentioning Erica in your review - she is truly a treasure and we are so lucky to have her as a part of our team. See you in September!
Highland, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I recently used this property for 3 nights. There were a total of 6 ladies (all family) in two rooms. While the rooms are a little dated and the double beds could be a tight fit for people who are sharing but not romantically involved, the rooms were super clean.
It did seem like it took a while for housekeeping to get to the room (rooms still not done in early afternoon) but the rooms were cleaned very well.
We stayed in the motel area on Atlantic not the main property. It was maybe a block walk to a very clean beach and nice water. The whole property was clean. You could hear the waves at night from your room.
The pool area was also great. Only complaint was that the actual pool isn't deep enough to swim in. But the pool and especially the hot tub were enjoyable. Plenty of chairs and lounges to work on your tan. They even deliver food and drink to you pool side.
The outdoor restaurant was also a hit. Views of the ocean and the food was pretty good. Nothing to rave about but good.
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Amythehennalady
Scotia, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The staff from the very beginning was helpful and accommodating We stayed on the 3rd floor oceanfront. The rooms, although a little dated, were always clean and if we needed extra coffee or whatever for the room, it was there. The staff was the best. We had a great time at the Beach Bar, the bartender was excellent. We had an amazing dinner on one of the nights we were there and they make fantastic omelets for breakfast. The manager and staff did everything they could to make your stay one of the best ever!!

Room Tip: Always communicate your needs when your are booking your room. If you have special needs, then I am...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Noreen C
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our motel on Trip Advisor. I am so happy to hear that you were pleased with your stay! Please visit us again soon!
Kansas City
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Wow! Went with my three daughters to the restaurant at the Spray Beach Inn and was blown away by how knowledgable and accommodating the chef and server were! My kids have Celiac disease, and I have an allergy to dairy. Food was excellent and portions were generous!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Nattie76
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased to read your comments regarding our Chef's knowledge of various food allergies. Please visit us again soon!
Wayne, NJ
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We spent our anniversary weekend at the Spray Beach Inn in June 2014. We had a great time! Room was roomy and clean. Staff was efficient and pleasant. Our 2nd story corner room had a great view of the pool AND the ocean. Breakfast at their restaurant was delicious. Proximity to the beach can't be beat. Would definitely recommend and go back again!

Room Tip: We made our reservations using their on line system and their was some confusion. Had to call a coup...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank palmfam
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our motel on Trip Advisor. I am glad to read that you were pleased with your stay. Please visit again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beach Haven
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach

Been to Spray Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!