“Very nice outdoor bar/ outdoor restaurant. Magnificent view,”

Dutchman's Brauhaus
Ranked #71 of 93 Restaurants in Beach Haven
Cuisines: German
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Well I must give this restaurant a 4 out of 5 rating, a good rating, because I have had so many good times here, sitting outdoors at the bar or at the bar tables overlooking Barnegat Bay. The view can't be beat. There are very few restaurants that are truly ON THE WATER, with great water views, and this is one of them. You sit one story above ground on an elevated deck overlooking the bay .... just beautiful. Arrive by car or by boat. They have a boat dock. The restaurant is not in Beach Haven -- it is located along the Causeway bridge that connects the island to the mainland. But you are not bothered by traffic noise, since the outdoor dining is on the opposite side of the building and the place is just far enough away from the highway. The truth is, overall the place is weird. I have never eaten in the fancier indoor dining room, but I understand that the waiters and waitresses are required to wear traditional German costumes, and I cannot think of anything more odd and un-seashore-like. The building looks weird, too, from the outside. But whenever I go to Long Beach Island, I go to the Dutchmans where I sit near the outdoor bar, look over the bay, and eat delicious clams on the half shell. I have also enjoyed their oysters. Very good beer selection. Their fish sandwich is actually a tuna steak: it seems high quality but I actually prefer a plain white fish in my fish sandwich. The burgers are not good. Margaritas are bad here ... don't order a frozen Margarita at the Dutchmans because it is one of the worst cocktails I have ever had (strange color, too). The Hummus appetizer is terrible, and I sent it back. Waitress service is average at best, and sometimes it is downright awful. Six delicious small clams on the half shell cost $11, so the place is somewhat expensive. Credit cards are not accepted in the outdoor bar area. Once I came for an early lunch on a Wednesday in August and they did not open the outdoor bar until 12 noon. This website says they open at 10am, which is not correct from my experience. In my opinion, this place is all about the beer, the clams, and the view. Eating clams and oysters while sitting by the bay at the Dutchmans is ... ... FUN!

1  Thank AlanG1211

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The food was good but not fantastic. It was very expensive also. Higher end menu with higher end prices. I'm not much of a German food connoisseur, we were just hungry and couldn't find any other place open so we stopped here. Broiled seafood platter was OK. Nothing bad about it, just not work the money. Nice view, right on the water.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This place was very good years ago. The place is in the pits, Needs $$$$ in repairs just to bring it up to presentable. Terrible menu, awful bar. Great location on the Barnegat Bay. The bar tenders are friendly, and it is certainly no fault of theirs that the beer selection is one of the worst. Place needs to be gutted or demolished. I have eaten here with friends and family since the 70's. They certainly miss Bill [God rest his soul]. Tourist trap with no heart.

1  Thank MarkO95
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Located in Ship Bottom as you come on to LBI. About 7 miles from Beach Haven. Great place to access by boat. Emphasis is on drinks and bar food. Other entrees are average at best and very inconsistent. Has gone down hill for several years but apparently the owners kids have taken over and are trying to upgrade the place. Damaged by Hurricane Sandy but nicely repaired. Only place around with German/Bavarian cuisine.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Great food and prices for the German palate and triditional American. Relaxed atmoshere and view of the marshes.