“Tradition of Quality Endures”

Howard's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 93 Restaurants in Beach Haven
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 5 March 2014

For decades this family owned restaurant has been delivering the freshest, most flavorful dishes on the east coast. My wife dies for the French Fried Lobster. I love the seafood combination, fried or broiled. The Cole Slaw or the Salad what a decision to have to make .. well just order both that's what I frequently do.... The specials, the fresh fish, the clams on the half shell, decisions, decisions. Bring a bottle or two of your favorite wine invite another couple and get ready to enjoy a meal to write home about......

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stopped in on spur of the moment and luckily, since we had a large party of 9, we only had a 10 minute wait to be seated as opposed to those with parties of 4 or less who had a 45-60 minute wait. Well worth the wait, though - every single dish from the New England Clam Chowder to the Bouillabaisse to the Surf and Turf and Grilled Salmon were PHENOMENAL. All perfectly cooked, seasoned and served piping hot at the same time. Best lobster tails and filet ratings from those who ordered it and my New England Clam Chowder was excellent. The Bouillabaisse was also excellent and since Howard's version is one without the traditional addition of Pernod - it's one that anyone who likes fresh, perfectly cooked seafood would love. Awesome beginning to end and definitely a MUST TRY when you are in Beach Haven. 5 Gold Stars! Great service, Great food, Great time!

1  Thank Patrick C
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Tonight, my parents, my husband, my son and I ate at Howard's. My father loves Howard's and says it's the only place to eat on the island. I tend agree, but feel that there are others that we haven't yet explored.
The pecan flounder was abundant and delicious. The crab cake recipe has changed!!!! They put a spice in it. It is no longer the crab cake of past. The fried lobster is still excellent and always a hit.
We will be back!

1  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Our parents spend their summers in Beach Haven, NJ. We ate at Howard's on our recent visit and the food was great. I find it annoying that most places do not take reservations or even allow for call ahead since the wait can be 2+ hours. For me, no place is worth that.
We were fairly late on a week night so the wait was only 20 minutes.
Our table enjoyed the herb crusted salmon, flounder with crab, fried shrimp, and pecan crusted flounder. All were excellent but I would say pricy. The service was great as well!
I still have not figured out the liquor laws of NJ but many restaurants do not sell alcohol but allow you to bring it with you. There is a liquor store across the street, which is convenient.
Definitely worth a try when on LBI but call ahead to check the wait!

1  Thank Kelli S
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband grew up in the LBI area. I have lived here for the past 10 years. Never been to Howard's. We decided to go on Saturday of Labor Day weekend. We called prior to leaving our house, they do not take reservations, and said it was about half hour wait for two people. We drove over to the island, husband dropped me off to put our names in, he went to search for parking. Hostess took our name and informed me still a half hour wait. There is plenty of inside seating to wait or there are benches outside as well. Husband had to circle the area a bit to find a place to park. We decided since we had 30 minutes to kill to go to the liquor store across the boulevard. We were seated in 30 minutes and decided as we looked over their menu that although they had plenty of wonderful entree choices, we came to try their French Fried Lobster. Our waitress Kim was extremely tentative and pleasant. Although the restaurant was extremely busy she never disappeared for long stretches of time. The atmosphere was really nice. I know if I had my parents with me they probably would of commented on the noise level, however we could hear each other just fine and know that a loud dining room is par for the course for this time of year. The restaurant is pretty open, part of the dining area has a water view. We both had soup, their chowder and bisque were great. The calamari was probably the best I had ever had in my life. Not heavily breaded at all. We order the surf and turf and by the time our dinners came we both were pretty full. I knew I would be taking home my 6oz filet, but I was there for the French Fried Lobster and it did not disappoint! We're glad we finally tried Howard's and will definitely aim to get there at least once a summer to try some of their other menu choices.

2  Thank adidaseeyore