“Good family seafood place”

Howard's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 93 Restaurants in Beach Haven
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I hadn't been to Howard's since before the hurricane a few years back. I returned this week with family members, including a two-year-old, for an early dinner. We arrived around 5:30 and were seated within five minutes. Arriving early is a must here. The staff members were wonderfully welcoming and helpful. Note to file: this is a bring your own wine restaurant. If you forget to bring yours, there is a convenient liquor store right across the street.

Service was attentive and cheerful. Our well-behaved toddler made a predictable mess with his order of fried flounder, and our server never missed a beat. This is a great place to bring the family. We arrived a little late for a table on the expanse of windows along the adjacent dock area, but you can try your luck. Timing is, indeed, everything!

The food was delicious. Broiled sea scallops were excellent, as was the house cole slaw. Green salads were crisp. Everything arrived as ordered and in a reasonable amount of time. The fried lobster, a house specialty, is available per piece for those who just want to try it out. Patrons either rave about the fried lobster or pass it up ... personally, I am glad I tried it, but it was just OK for me. It was good, but I like broiled seafood better. Your call.

By the time we left after an enjoyable dinner, there were about 20 people lined up waiting to get in. Moral of the story: Want some good seafood at a family-friendly restaurant with a laid-back but lovely vibe? Head for Howard's. It's worth a visit!

1  Thank NooYawkMama

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Great food and atmosphere. Excellent service. A byob establishment. Great for couples, adult groups, families. What more can you ask for on vacation? Get the famous French fried lobster!!!

1  Thank T C M
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have been to Howard's many times but this time was exceptionally good. The blackened tuna was delicious as well as the crab cakes. Our server was very knowledgable. We enjoyed ourselves

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have eaten a lot of Lobster, but never EVER had Fried Lobster. So glad I tried it, it was amazing! We went with friends and family last night to Howards. The minute we walked in we were greeted by their friendly staff. The nice warm rolls and butter came out, the rolls were great. A lot of times I have to ask for extra butter, not at Howards, they give you plenty of creamy whipped butter in the bread basket. The appetizer plate of fried veggies was ordered for the table, tomatoes, mushrooms, eggplant, ect. - It was great......plenty for a table of 6. We were off to a good start. Our salads came out, crisp, fresh and with one of the best homemade ranch dressings I had ever eaten. The Fried Lobster consisted of 6 pieces of Lobster tails - fried - yup, fried, and - it was so good, wish I had room to eat all 6. All the other dishes ordered at our table were great..... Shrimp, Chicken, ect. Can't wait to go back, no question about it, I will be ordering the Fried Lobster again! It's a must to try at Howards. You've got to try Howards if you haven't already - great Seafood prepared how you want it.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Recently dined at Howard's with friends. Wasn't looking forward to it because of a bad meal last year, but decided to give it another try because the location; on the bay and close to the house. My crab cakes, broiled were good. My husband had to send back his lobster bisque. Unedible. Way too salty. His shrimp scampi was OK. The complaint was that they seem to use fake garlic which made the taste odd. The flounder imperial was OK. The salads that come with the meal were good and the added "free" blue cheese crumbles were a bonus. It is a pretty good bring your own bottle place. They should pay more attention to the details in the kitchen.

1  Thank Jackie V