“Integrity and fairness”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lorry's Island End Motel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Beach Haven
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
“Integrity and fairness”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

My husband and I booked a room at Lorry's for a night. We had to cancel ( two days before) due to a death in the family. Lorry's was able to rent our room and returned our money in full. The communication was so good- email and a personal phone call to inform us of the refund. Their integrity, fairness and service certainly has encouraged us to make sure we book our next beach trip at Lorry's. Thanks!! Danny and Jane

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I loved staying here!! The staff was so friendly and the rooms were beautiful & clean. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast & beach tags! Can't wait to come back. We heard it was renovated after Sandy, and you can tell because the rooms are all new & beautiful!

• Stayed July 2013
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We spent a wonderful spring weekend at Lorry's in May. This is a VERY laid back motel...no formalities here. Bill, the owner is so sweet and nice to deal with. He tries very hard to accommodate everyone. The website even says he will work out a payment schedule if needed so you can more easily afford your vacation. And, the weekend spring special allows you to stay as long as you like on Sunday....there is no rush to checkout....you can even leave Monday morning if you want. That's another night for FREE. So, two queen beds for 3 nights for $200...You can't beat that ANYWHERE!! Management and every staff member that I crossed paths with (Bill, Judy, Drew) was very nice and more than accommodating with any questions or concerns. We forgot our grill spatula & we needed a wine opener. When I asked they gladly provided us with those items. Our room (#4) was very clean and newly renovated. The bed was brand new, firm, and comfortable. The pillows were fluffy. The sheets were crisp and clean. As other reviews and the owner himself has mentioned there is (strangely) no blanket under the bed spread. I understand that this can be inconvenient to many people as most people, myself included, like to remove the bed spread as they are not very soft and cuddly and not usually (*not sure how they do it here though) washed between guests. I happen to pack everything except the kitchen sink when I travel, so I did have a queen size blanket on hand to put on the bed. The room also seems to be lacking some other small but essential items like a toilet paper holder, a towel bar or hooks in the bathroom, and a large mirror at the bureau/dresser. Also, although the photos on their website show a small table and chairs in the room, our room did not have this. So, if the weather is not nice and you cannot sit outside to enjoy your meal while dining in, then there is no place to sit and eat. We made do, as always, by throwing down a table cloth and having a picnic on the bed but, a table would have been great. Perhaps some of these items are yet to be added as rebuilding and renovations are ongoing since hurricane Sandy. Although most hotels do provide these things, these are just stupid little details to me and certainly no reason to leave raving negative reviews like some that I have seen. I feel bad for people who let the little things in life make them so unhappy and I can't imagine how they would handle an actual disaster or tragedy suddenly thrown at them. You know, one of life's "curve balls".

Anyway, there are other guests in the motel and you will hear them sometimes. If there are any particularly rude guests who let their children constantly run up and down the decks or others who walk really heavy like they have cinder blocks attached to their feet, you will hear it. There can be times when you might hear the people in the neighboring room. The simple fix for this would be for all guests to have some common courtesy. But, I think on a rain day people tend to get a little rambunctious and tend to be more noisy from being stuck inside. I wouldn't say the motel is to blame for these instances. We had a room on the first floor right in the center. Your best bet for quiet would probably be on the top floor in the room at the very end. One of the best features of this motel is the full size fridge in the room. Not many places offer this. I have very strict dietary needs that do not afford me the pleasure of eating out, so being able to fully stock the refrigerator and having a grill to cook food is truly awesome and among the best reasons to stay at a place like Lorry's (Thank you, Bill!). There were Beautiful breezes through the room and the sounds of the ocean from the deck. It's a short walk to the beach and in this area it's really quick and easy to cross the BLVD where there is not a lot of traffic. The south end of the Island is one of the (not so best kept) secrets on the island. It is so relaxing and quiet and not nearly as crowded as other towns on LBI. But, you are only a short drive from all of the happenings in Beach Haven such as tons of shopping, restaurants, miniature golf, amusements, arcade, museum, theatre, etc.... Lorry's is your standard older beach motel at a bargain price. It is not for everyone. Definitely not for spoiled or picky travelers. More for the traveler who can really find pleasure in the simple things and tends to be more prepared with their packing or just happy to go without it. The "camping type" perhaps? :) Happy camper here. We will be back. Thanks Lorry's! :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Happy_PA_traveler
Spring City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I'm not sure how the staff could have made our trip any better. Lots of reviews reference Bill going out of his way for customers, and we were not disappointed. They helped us with everything and they have pretty much everything you need right there at the motel (grill patio, full fridges, bikes, boogie boards, bagels and coffee every morning - all free) - meaning if you choose this place on a budget you really don't have to eat out if you don't mind grilling or eating salads. The motel is being renovated, our room was way bigger and newer than expected - very nice touch. Due to the location, the beach is really only a few feet from the hotel and there is very little traffic, which can not be said about the rest of the island, and the beach itself is gorgeous.

All this for a price you probably won't beat anywhere else on LBI. Thank you Bill, Denise and staff; God bless you guys.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2013

A short stay on Long Beach Island... stayed at Lorry's. Small motel recently renovated after Superstorm Sandy damaged the area. First floor rooms, refinished and refurnished. Barbara was much help to us answering all questions, helping us find our way, while also doing renovation work. It was great to find her so friendly and informative. Small patio area for cooking on grill, relaxing, etc is available. Beach mere minutes away.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sat617
warwick ri
Reviewed 29 April 2013

All I can say is that this is one fantastic place to stay! I almost didn't want to write this review for fear that I may not get my next reservation. I spoke to the owner Bill who went REALLY out of his way to get a room ready for me since I wanted to do a bike tour of the island this April. I took advantage of his great Spring rates and found myself in a room with completely new furniture, awesome beds, full size fridge, great bathroom, etc. ready for me. I was the official first guest since Storm Sandy and received a great free t -shirt. Location couldn't be better with both Ocean and Bay within steps. Loved that it was only short bike ride to Beach Haven with great food and shops. Also got the "local tips" from Bill that made my trip so much nicer. You have everything you need at Lorry's and will not find a more gracious owner. Must give a wonderful shout out to all the wonderful people I met there ( Barbara!). You will love it here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
LorrysMotel, Owner at Lorry's Island End Motel, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear Trip Advisor,

We appreciate and love all of our Guests at Lorry's Island End Motel, but this Guest made it a pleasure to have at Lorry's. Yes this Guest was our 1st Guest since Super Storm Sandy and Thank God we now have re-opened 3 of our 6 first floor rooms. It has been a tough 5 month road to re-open our first floor and we had to hustle to be able to get this Guest in Lorry's on schedule.

Thank God we only had water in the motel but that made us take up the carpet, entire floor and sub floor, plus 4 feet of the sheetrock on the walls. At that point, I stood on the beams of the floor and looked down at the sand and could see up and down the entire motel shell. We then had the contractors remediate the building and put back the floor and sheetrock the walls. Once the floor and sheetrock were installed we had the contractor remediate Lorry's again a 2nd time. Then we had the duct people come in the clean the air ducts.

So we were able to give this Guest (and other Guests yet to come) basically an entirely new 1st floor room with a beachy cheerful color paint on the walls. Thankfully this Guest was so pleased with Lorry's Motel, that she made another reservation before leaving for later in May.

We also invite everyone to call or e-mail us and come to Lorry's Island End Motel and God Willing, we will also give you The Best Hotel or Motel Value on Beautiful Long Beach Island, NJ.

Bill Hutson
Lorry's Motel Owner
Scranton, PA
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I have stayed at Lorry's in the past. Loved it then and still love it now! The price you pay in comparison to other hotels on LBI is so great! You save even more money because you are able to grill each afternoon and evening if you would like. Rather than having to take your family out for each meal you can eat at the hotel making your own meals. There is plenty of seating outside near the grill area for your family. They provide bagels, juice and coffee each morning. Who can complain about that! If you aren't happy with that or need something more, you can always have a bowl of cereal for yourself ~ each room has a fridge and microwave. I know for my family we enjoyed all aspects of this hotel. The location to the beach is wonderful. Just one block away. Also one block to the bay. Since this motel is at the end of the island, crossing the street is a breeze. You don't need to worry about speeding cars zipping by. There is a deli at the top of the street if you wanted to grab a few items from your room (food) or if you wanted to pick up something for lunch. One feature that I haven't seen reviewed on here is that with this beach access location, there is a free public shower and bathroom. This is wonderful for the bathroom feature so you do not have to go back to the hotel. Might not seem far to walk a block, but with children this is very helpful. Lorry's also is awesome because the day you check out they let you still continue to use your beach badges and you can still use the grill at the end of the day if you want and shower there (they have an outside shower). They have clothes lines to hang your towels on each night. This is not a place that is fancy in any way. It is something nice and quaint. I highly recommend. I will be going back this summer again with my family. Love Lorry's and Love Bill!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
LorrysMotel, Owner at Lorry's Island End Motel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Thank you very much for vacationing at Lorry's Island End Motel. We are very happy that you really liked Lorry's Motel and the affordable vacation that we provided you. It was very nice for you to let us know all of the things that you like about Lorry's Motel so we can continue to provide them. We look forward to seeing you again this year.

Bill Hutson
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach

Been to Lorry's Island End Motel? Share your experiences!