“Hidden Gem”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lorry's Island End Motel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Beach Haven
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Having returned from yet another wonderful beach getaway and visiting my favorite little quaint motel on the island! I was unsure what to expect from the island after Hurricane Sandy, Lorry's was exactly as before the storm. She survived and the owner, was able to make her look like nothing ever happened! Our room was perfect for my husband and I, and the staff were fantastic as always! The location is perfect for walks to the beach and sunsets on bay. The neighborhood is as always family friendly and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Westchester, NY
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I stayed at Lorry's from July 12-15 for a long weekend getaway with my best friend. We are both on a tight budget and chose this place because of the price. Based on our conversation with Bill when we booked the trip, and looking at the website, we knew it was not going to be a 4 or 5 star resort. I was actually pleasantly surprised as I had expected it to be much more rinky-dink than it was. If you are expecting luxury, you WILL be disappointed! I don't feel sorry for the people who wrote negative reviews because they make it very clear on their website that this is meant to be a budget motel. They give you all the necessities and not much more. Let me break the whole trip down with some pros/cons.

Pros:
-LOCATION! The motel is almost at the bottom tip of the island. There are maybe two or three blocks to the end. It's one very short block to the beach. We had an *almost* view of the bay out our window- as in, we could crane our necks and catch a glimpse of the sunset. Nothing to write home about, but still cool. The area is very quiet. It's a 5-10 minute drive from where the stores and restaurants start.
-The staff. Everyone was SO friendly and kind. I could tell that they were all bending over backwards to make it a good experience for their guests.
-Bikes. We loved having them available. There's a bike lane all the way up the main road (maybe not all the way but we didn't get quite that far). Really nice way to explore the area. The bikes are old and rusty, as some other reviews have said. They work just fine but I hope they consider upgrading soon.
-Full sized refrigerator. We did eat dinner out but saved money on lunch by bringing cold cuts. Also nice to be able to have space to bring back leftovers from dinner and store fruit, cheese, soda, beer, etc.
-The courtyard. It's way nicer than it looks in the pictures. It has a nice backyard feel with trellises, picnic tables, and 3 gas grills. We didn't use the grills but we ate lunch outside every day and it was really pleasant.
-Complimentary breakfast. Yes it's just bagels and coffee. There was also OJ. Coffeemate, milk, sugar, butter, cream cheese, etc. And if they run out of something just ask for more; they have backup in the office.

Cons:
-The room was old and dingy. We were in room 8 on the 2nd floor- not one of the renovated rooms. Not horrible. We didn't spend too much time in the room anyway.
-Wasn't expecting housekeeping service, but I do wish they changed the towels at least once. The towels were old and worn out so they felt dirty quickly. I asked for a couple extras on the last day and they gave them to us without a problem, so no huge complaint there.
-Tiny shower. Seriously tiny. Perfectly functional, just tiny.
-Ash trays everywhere. On the table outside each room, on every picnic table in the courtyard. So even though there's no smoking in the rooms, you probably will smell smoke on the property anyway. I didn't appreciate going to get my bagel as people in the rooms right next to the bagel stand were sitting there smoking.

All in all we both enjoyed our stay and would absolutely choose Lorry's again!

I just wanted to add, that as a completely non-religious person, I was little put off by the "worship" section on the website. I was half concerned that they would somehow push their religious views on us as part of the stay. Not at all! So if anyone else is put off by that, don't be.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank dairus
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We recently returned from a getaway to LBI where we stayed at Lorry's. If you have spent any time on the website you can see it is a hotel that is dearly loved and tended to. When you arrive, you will not be disappointed - the pictures are very accurate on the internet. The hotel is vibrant, clean and the staff is extremely accommodating.

The hotel was damaged in the storm, and they have worked hard to have it up and running for the summer season. I would like to offer just a few tips and gentle suggestions for the folks at Lorry's and for those planning to stay there:

1. I was traveling with a large party and was a bit disappointed as the outdoor showers are still not operating. Although the rooms are decent size, and the efficiencies enormous, the bathrooms are small. It would have been nice to been able to shower outside.

2. The sofa in the efficiency is NOT a pull out as mentioned. So if you are planning on that for a sleeping space (as I was)- plan accordingly. There is PLENTY of room to bring an air mattress and set that up as a substitute.

3. The Free Beach Badges are a wonderful perk. You must have an extra $50 cash per room to leave as a deposit though. Understandable, but just be sure you have extra money with you to putdown. NO credit cards accepted on this.

3. Please Lorry's....get mattress pads STAT. Nothing separated the mattress from the sheet, and consequently I felt like I had slept on a sofa all night.

4. I am not one to shun people who smoke at all. A few ashtrays placed around your grounds would be sufficient. There was an ashtray on every eating table and side table which seemed excessive. Nothing against smoking, but it takes away from the beauty of your beautiful Courtyard seeing ashtrays EVERYWHERE. Maybe you can designate a particular area within your Courtyard for that??

All and all- it was a fair price for a charming beach hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank momofsclg
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We have just returned home from our mini vacation to LBI. We had the opportunity to stay at Lorry's Island End Motel for 3 nights. We really enjoyed our stay here! It is not a 5 star Ritz Carlton hotel but it is a 5 star family oriented motel. Everyone was so kind and made us feel like we were staying with family. The rooms were newly remodeled and very clean. We had a full size refrigerator and sink in our room which we definitely took advantage of. The courtyard was an added bonus. We were so close to the beach and not far from the action in Beach Haven. It was so quiet at night I didn't realize the motel was full! My husband and I would definitely stay here again with our kids.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Christy C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 July 2013

My boyfriend and I were guests at Lorry's this 4th of July weekend. I have stayed at properties similar-looking to this by appearance on their website, however, the friendly staff, quiet surroundings and amenities set this one apart. The bathroom was spotless, as was the rest of the room, and the full-size refrigerator and central air make this the perfect home-away-from home, surrounded entirely by very private beaches. The bicycles made available during the stay were perfect to travel just down the road to various restaurants and entertainment before returning to our serene quarters. We were able to shop for some groceries and eat like royalty, making an event out of surf & turf dinners nightly thanks to the beautiful grilling and picnic area right outside our room in the courtyard. Everyone went out of their way to welcome and accommodate us throughout the duration of our stay. I highly recommend Lorry's for your next stay.

1 Thank Heather A
New York City
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Lorry's Island end motel 4th of July weekend and had an amazing experience. To be honest I was a bit leery of booking the property from the looks of the website but was pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The website does not do the property justice especially the inner courtyard area with picnic tables and grills. This is a great place to relax after a day at the beach and BBQ. It really makes you feel like you are at your own little beach house as opposed to being at a motel.
The rooms were in really good condition, nice tiling in the bathroom and comfortable beds. The central air and full sized refrigerator certainly separated this place from other motels I have stayed in. The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming from the moment we arrived, and by the time we left we felt like we made new friends. I had never stayed so far away from the action in Beach Haven, Ship Bottom etc but heading over to Beach Haven inlet was a great experience and I found it a pleasure to be away from the commercialism. In addition, when we wanted to head to beach haven, we used the free bikes supplied by Lorrys and got the true LBI experience.

If you are looking for a quiet and friendly place to enjoy Long beach Island, look no further

1 Thank tortelini007
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I am very excited to stay at Lorry's Island End Motel! Bill, the owner, went out of his way to be gracious and meet every one of our needs when we made the reservation. I will check back after the vacation to let you know of our experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Windward at the Beach
Windward at the Beach
#4 of 7 in Beach Haven

Been to Lorry's Island End Motel? Share your experiences!