“Will be my regular escape”
Review of Jolly Roger Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Jolly Roger Motel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Beach Haven
Pennsylvania
“Will be my regular escape”
Reviewed 27 September 2008

I had the most relaxing time at the Jolly Roger. I remember when i was younger and it was not such an appealing place. Now, it is amazing, I went down alone to just escape for a bit and had a private balcony and a very nice room. Sure the room was small, however, I just needed somewhere to sleep at night. The place is very nicely decorated and that end of the island is peaceful. I was able to walk across the street at any time to enjoy the ocean or just sit on my balcony to have a beer and read my book. Michelle is possibly the nicest person ever. She is full of island information and any information in general. I have stayed at quite a few places in Long Beach Island and this is by far my favorite. My favorite thing about the Jolly Roger has got to be the rooftop deck .................simply amazing.

• Liked — Roof Top Deck
  • Disliked — Luved it all
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JustMe907

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
USA
Reviewed 9 September 2008

We sorted through all the dive motels in LBI and took a chance with The Jolly Roger. It was a wonderful stay. It is located away from the chaos which may not be what some prefer. I loved that we could drive a few minutes to the restaurants and attractions and then go back to our quiet little room. People with negative comments on here simply didn't want what it is advertised to be. It is a cute, quiet, quaint stay where you are treated like family. A rarity on the Jersey shore!

• Liked — Location and Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Minimum Stay Required
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trot19
New York
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I have stayed at the Jolly Roger every year for a short vacation and absolutely love the place. Management goes out of its way to make sure your stay is comfortable, affordable and convenient. The continental breakfast is perfect and you can enjoy your morning coffee on the lovely balcony overlooking the ocean. The views are gorgeous. The beach is conviently located right across the street and is clean and less crowded than the town beaches. The rooms are small but clean. Since we don't spend much time in the room anyway it really doesn't matter how big they are. They are perfect for 2. The area is quiet and residential. I will continue to go back for as long as they are there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Liked Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OceanPerson54
new jersey
Reviewed 8 August 2006

Jolly Rger is a very basic motel with an excellent location just steps from a nice LBI beach. The rooms are very small, have very basic furniture, but are clean. We could not use the beach though because the recent heat wave had made the flies go berserk adn they kept attaching us despite the bug spray. But we took the kids to Fantasy Island and the waterpark nearby - which was a lot of fun. The bayside beach near Fantasy Island is very good. Also, good places to eat are Do Me a Flavor on Center Street (1st Street) and OT's family restaurant. One thing about LBI though, its not very diverse....we are Indian and we got quite a few stares. Everyone else was caucasian.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank vidhu
Bergen County, NJ
Reviewed 17 July 2006

We spent two nights at the Jolly Roger from July 14-16. Its a great little place to stay for a short vacation to the shore. Since you are on the end of the island, the beach is much less crowded. All you need to do to get to the beach is to walk out outside and cross the street. The rooms were just right -- nothing fancy, but most people don't come to LBI to stay in their rooms. The room was clean and nicely equipped with a fridge, micro, ceiling fan, A/C and cable tv. The staff and owners are always present and extremely friendly and helpful. They even allowed us to keep our beach badges after we checked out on Sunday so that we could spend a few extra hours at the beach, and, when we got off the beach, they told us to come back and they would give us towels so we could use the outdoor shower before we headed out. Next door there is a deli/convenience store that has all you need as far as supplies and sandwiches to get you through breakfast and lunch. Its great to just be able to go across the street and grab a fresh sandwich to enjoy on the beach. Don't miss the Engleside Inn for a great dinner -- great seafood, fair prices. Also, try Daddy O's, a new swaky restaurant and soon to be hotel on the island -- their lobster bisque is to die for! We plan on coming back next year and making the Jolly Roger a tradition.

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank 678
East Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 25 June 2006

Since my husband and I were not familiar with LBI we picked this motel sight unseen and hoped for the best. We were pleasantly surprised. While the room was small and the bed was hard for our taste, it was clean, nicely decorated and bright and airy. We were on the second floor and had a panoramic (although from the side) view of the ocean and the bay. Because this hotel is located at the very end of LBI there was little traffic and the beach was not crowded at all. (It was early in the season too). The best part of this motel (which is really like a small hotel as our room opened into an interior hallway) is the deck on the roof. From up there you get a beautiful view of the ocean and can hear the surf. There is a convenience store/deli right next door to the motel where we got delicious breakfast sandwiches and a really great hoagie called the Fat Italian for lunch. We took our food up on the roof each day and had breakfast and lunch while enjoyihg the sea breezes and the great views. Michelle at the gift shop/office was really friendly and helpful with suggestions and directions. The motel also provides complimentary coffee and muffins/cakes every morning and through the day. We throughly enjoyed our weekend stay and would definately return to this motel.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank SeashoreSeeker
fara
Reviewed 20 September 2005

Having never been to Beach Haven, I didn't know at first that you can only stay in motels or B&B's. There are no hotels there. That being said, it seems that most of my preconceived notions of motels (being dirty and seedy) seemed true for Beach Haven, NJ ( the place my siblings stayed in was awful- The Harborview). My husband and I needed a place to stay for the weekend for a wedding that we were attending at the Sea Shell Motel. We didn't reply early enough and the Sea Shell was sold out. If I could, I would stay at the Sea Shell during my next visit. The Sea Shell had a lot to offer with the Tiki Bar and outdoor pool right next to the ocean. The Jolly Roger is where my husband and I ended up staying and it wasn't bad- not great- but not awful. I'd rate the cleanliness a 3 out of 5 being the best and 1 the worst. I did see a hair in the shower and some dirt there too. There was also an iron stain on the carpet. When we opened the windows to let the ocean breeze in, the slats from the blinds kept falling down. The rooms are tiny and there are only 2 people allowed to sleep in them. My big complaint, though, was the stringent rules. Not only are only 2 people allowed to stay at the motel, you cannot have visitors in your room. You may have visitors before 7pm and only for an hour, only after having them register with management and only on your balcony. And believe me, they do adhere to these rules. My brother, brother-in-law and my sister came up to see our room. They were in our room less than a minute and I was rushing them in and out because I was afraid of getting in trouble when somebody had told on us. Then one of the staff had to explain the rules to me. And we're not teenagers either so it's not like we were partying and drunk and kids. I felt like I was being watched at the Jolly Roger by the management. But, I should say that the room we had (#1) had a great view of the ocean. It was incredible and the location as far as being at the end of the road was great too. Having seen where other family members stayed during this weekend stay for the wedding, I probably would stay at the Sea Shell or a B&B in the future.

8 Thank farafaucet
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Jolly Roger Motel? Share your experiences!