“Nice food......too loud”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We recently visited for dinner on a Tuesday evening. We had reservations and waited about 10-15 minutes no problem. We sat at the bar which was noisy but most bars we've been in have been noisy. We were sat at the first table for two in from the bar which was Ok. Our food was good.. Hubby had the swordfish and was hoping it was more of a steak and it was not. It was more of a slice. He liked it but would have liked a larger portion. I ordered the Jumbo King Crab which other diners were also having. It was delicious, cooked perfectly, not watery or salty. It is listed as MP on the menu, no big deal...usually. As we ate,the level of noise became more and more annoying. It was coming from both the bar and the restaurant. You could barely have a conversation. And then the check came. My king crab leg entree rang in at $63! Yikes! We are from the northeast and have seen some pricey entrees in some very fine places but this was a shocker. Lesson learned here. Good food and drinks but beware of prices and bring your earplugs!

1  Thank Marianne A

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Small casual restaurant. Friendly staff. Nice selection of draft beer at the bar. Best chowder I've ever had...best crab cake I've ever had...most tender octopus I've ever had. Delicious key lime pie...better than the best in Key West. If I could give this place six stars I would. We most definitely will be back.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Hands down, the Whale has the best Oysters and Clams on Happy Hour. They are so fresh and large and delicious, I seriously go in and get twelve of each for myself. The only thing is you have to get there right at 3 or the older crowd gets there, hogs the bar, and camps out for the whole night. The rest of the menu is very good as well, and they have fresh lobsters. The bartenders are always friendly, especially CJ and Kurt.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

In all of the years we've been coming to LBI, we've never had a meal at the Black Whale. We really enjoyed our experience there and will definitely be back. It was my husband's birthday and we were looking for someplace fun to have a good meal and some drinks to celebrate. This really fit the bill.

I called the morning of to get a reservation for our party of 4. Not a problem there. A good thing to know- they only takes reservations the morning of the day you'd like them. You can't call days in advance. We only had to wait a few minutes to be seated. It was just enough time for us to get a drink at the bar. We were seated in the back at one of the booths. It was a bit loud, but that was fine for our night out.

We ordered appetizers from the raw bar (oysters and clams). They were delicious and fresh. For dinner, I had the jumbalaya. It was really good and enormous! If I were to order it again, I would definitely share with someone. It was more that enough for 2 people to share. The rest of my party all enjoyed their meals also (broiled seafood combo, sea scallops).

Along with our meals, we tried a number of the specialty drinks. Loved the Black Whale Bay Water drink. Sweet tea vodka and lemonade. It was recommended by our waitress and everyone ended getting one.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Popularity of the Black Whale has gone to their heads. Used to have fantastic food and service but the menu hasn't changed in years, food is mass produced and overlooked at times. The place is always packed and the hostess can be downright nasty. This used to be our go-to place until we started being treated like ordinary cattle. I must say though that their tuna tartar spring rolls are still second-to-none. The staff just needs to get their "humble back" and remember the locals who made them so popular.

2  Thank Jeffrey L
jerseychic63, Owner at Black Whale Bar & Fish House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

We are sorry that you had a less than pleasurable experience! The main menu does not change much except for some fine tuning but quite a bit of thought by our chef goes into our nightly specials of which there are about 10 that rotate. Our food is still hand prepared on premise from local ingredients, in the same manner it has been since we opened the doors. We hope that you will visit again soon, please ask for Dina and say hello and she will be sure to make sure dining experience was exceptional!