“Realistic Expectations”
Review of Belmar Motor Lodge

Belmar Motor Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Belmar
Belmar Motor Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Belmar
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here in June 2014 for one night. We were in town for a wedding and just needed a place to sleep for the night.

This property is exactly what you'd expect from a beach town motel - you have an average room, that's relatively clean, has some new furniture, and is in a really good location. Across the street is the water and a a great outdoor bar (9th Ave Bar) that extends over the water. There are also several boats docked there for daily fishing expeditions.

Negatives are that you hear a decent amount of noise because you are on a main road and every once in a while a train comes by from the tracks that are close behind the property. We also had an issue where the air conditioner broke in the middle of the night. The front desk tried very hard to fix it and look for a fan with no luck. Luckily it wasn't too hot of a night but it was an inconvenience. The next morning the manager of the hotel was very apologetic and offered a $50 refund from our room rate, so this was appreciated.

This is a good property if you need to crash for the night or are spending time in Belmar or close by with your friends. Like the title of this review states, have realistic expectations of the pros and cons of your typical beach area motel. You are not staying at a Four Seasons or Marriott - if you want that you'll pay triple the price!

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor for less noise.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris-Perry22

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Room smelled like mildew and had to be aired out as soon as we got there. Woman that works the front desk was extremely rude. Only positive thing I can say is it's pretty close to the train station. Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Benp6099
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Got a room for 1 night at the belmar motor lodge. Right from the start we noticed the front dest workers were very rude. Once we got our room we had to open the windows to air out the smell of mildew and cigarettes. We went out for the evening and even our taxi driver had bad news about this place. He told us about a lady that works there being rude and crazy. Sure enough, we get back to the motel and this lady wants to kick us out (at 11:30 pm) for our brand new cooler leaking on the floor. She found this out by helping herself to having a look around our room while we were gone apparently. I told her I'm sorry and obviously I had no idea the cooler would leak, (I doubt the cooler even leaked because the carpet wasn't even wet) but she threw us out anyway. Even though we were getting tossed we tried leaving the room as clean as possible but she threatened to call the police the whole time we were packing up if we didn't hurry up. She said I'll get a full refund but 'it may take a few days' so I'll see what happens. I've never been thrown out of anywhere in my life but I have to say I was glad to be getting thrown out of this place. I can't imagine id have gotten much sleep listening to that train station next door all night anyway. We ended up staying at the pelican point motel in point pleasant and had a much better experience. I wouldn't stay at belmar motor lodge again even if it was free.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Benp6099
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The Belmar Motor Lodge is a facility that is reminiscent of old-style seaside motels. However, don't let its age keep you away. It has a decent pool, is within walking distance to the ocean and right across the street from the Belmar Marina and "the place" to go for drinks in season, the 9th Avenue Pier. On my recent visit, I got to stay in one of the facility's newly renovated rooms with new bathroom fixtures and tubs, and a new bed and mattress. The room was incredibly spacious and the bed was comfy. True, it doesn't have some of the amenities of big hotel chains (such as in-room iron/ironing board, mini fridge and hairdryer), but the price makes up for these minor inconveniences. Because I was there on an off-season weeknight, the room rented for just $60 plus tax. Even their seasonal rates of $175 a night compare favorably to local B and B's that go for mid to high $200s. If you are looking for luxury, this isn't your hotel. But if you are looking for a great value and decent room, then look no further. I've been several times over the years, and I will be back!!!

Room Tip: I was in Room 203, one of the newly renovated rooms, which is at the extreme end of the 2nd floor ha...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband and I visit Belmar every year and have stayed at the Motor Lodge for the last 4 years. I recently read some of the reviews about them on here and was wondering if things had drastically changed since last year? Upon arriving there I was pleased to see things were as they always had been. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, the cost is average and they DO NOT have bed bugs. We spend our time fishing while in Belmar and the Motor Lodge location is great for that. It is not a high class hotel, it is somewhat dated, but serves it purpose for a clean place to sleep. We will continue to book our stays with them on our repeat visits every year.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 702amyb
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

After an amazing 2-nights at the Tandem Bike Inn B&B (5-star HIGHLY RECOMMEND) I had to move over here to el motor lodge due to my inability to make advanced reservations. Everywhere else is booked and after checking in at the BelMar Motor Lodge, being moved from a frightnung, smelly first floor room I was moved to a second floor room (which is why the service wasnt rated 1) Desk pleasant yet clearly bored and over dealing with people. However, she did call to see if I left my sunglasses and was kind. As to the facility which I only stayed at based on the recommendation of the training I am attending and event organizer saying it was okay...Nope. This is the overflow motel and the price ($175 are you freaking kidding me!) is because if you need to stay in this area without a reservation, this is your only choice. When I was a kid my parents used to take us to motor lodges. This smells and feels the same. The particle board furniture and maybe 20in flat screen are new but the feel, the walls, the disgusting ceiling tiles, the institutional bathroom and keyed - seriously old school but not charming - keyed door locks and .10cent chain have me wondering if I might not have been better off just sleeping in my car. Oh - and the felt yellow curtains could have been off white before being smoked in for the last 60-years. BelMar is a GREAT town and I have been so impressed with the people and how it seems there was never a storm here at all - it is a nice place - just book your stay early, in advance and at a charming B&B like Tandem Bike. Don't get stuck at the Motor Lodge and don't believe anyone who tells you it has been redone.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank HilTravels
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is an old property. It’s not hard to image this place in it’s heyday but it is the bare basics.

The interior walls are awful; between the drab tan color & the cinder block I felt like I was in prison. The halls are also very dark; as a woman I wasn’t super happy when I had to walk down them before my husband arrived in town. The actual rooms have white walls & are cheerier. They are decorated in mauves with whitewashed 80s fake tropical furniture but it’s all clean and functional.

The AC works too well. Seriously. You could have hung meat in our room. WOW was it cold & we were there during a heat wave.! The control knobs were finicky so we had difficulty regulating the temperature.

You don’t have to look hard to see the age of the place but you can see that someone keeps it in repair. The worst part of our stay was the lack of spray from the shower head; it was barely more than standing under a garden hose but it did get the job done.

The pool was OK. It was bathwater warm from the sun but it was nice to have. having forgetten a book, I was thrilled that they had a few paperbacks & some magazines outside the office for guests.

Surprisingly, even though the place is sandwiched between the train station and Route 35, it was quiet. When we 1st checked in and I saw the location and evidence of a bachelorette party I steeled myself for a noisy sleepless night. Other than an occasional siren, (it is Belmar after all) I didn’t hear anything.

There was plenty of parking even when there was a wedding at the Pavillion which shares the parking lot. You can walk to downtown Belmar. The beach would be a hike but it’s do-able.

The staff was a bit cranky but the desk clerk warmed up eventually. From what I observed not too many guests were polite to her but since I was, she was nicer in return.

This property would be on the bottom of my list for a return visit but if the Spring Lake motel we prefer was booked again, I could handle another weekend here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dalm0m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmar
Mayfair Hotel
#2 of 5 in Wall Township
The Inn At The Shore
The Inn At The Shore
#3 of 7 in Belmar

Been to Belmar Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!