“Such a nice place!”
Review of Belmar Inn

Belmar Inn
Ranked #7 of 7 Belmar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 February 2008

My wife and I stayed in this hotel as a romantic gateway without our four children and we were very satisfied. The hotel staff was great, the room was very clean and the restaurant nearby was excellent. We had a wounderful time and we will definately re-visit this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008

Reviewed 19 February 2008

it is a great place and has a clean and nice enviorment with a good service.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Waited a few weeks to write this so I could be as fair as possible.

We had stayed here four times over a five-year period; the last time was two years ago. Up to that time, I think, the hotel was owned by a family who were trying to renovate it. There were some shortcomings, but they were not major. A very old rooming house is not easily turned into a hotel. Bathrooms were small and closets were either small or nonexistent. However, the family and staff were very courteous, friendly and helpful. The location was great. The rooms were clean. Some rooms had spectacular views.

Went up last month for a family funeral. The hotel now has different owners. They are courteous, but don't often leave the front desk. If you request extra towels, for instance, they'll gladly provide them.

However, be certain that when you make your registrations, you have a confirmation number and a firm arrangement. I called a couple of weeks in advance and was told that there would be rooms for us, no problem. I called again the week before our trip and this was repeated. I was never asked for my credit card number and when I offered it, they said that wasn't necessary. Considering that the Jersey shore wasn't exactly crowded at that time of year, I didn't give it a lot of thought ... until I called to say our flight had been delayed an hour and discovered that they didn't have a reservation for us. They did make a reservation then and I was able to persuade the manager to be there after midnight when we would arrive, but I'd advise anyone else to be very clear about their reservations.

Also, there are no clocks in the rooms. We asked for a wake-up call, but never received it. Evidently the communication between the staff is not good.

The rooms did look clean when we arrived, but on closer inspection, maybe not too clean. Hot water takes a while to come up (get up, turn on the tap and go back to bed). This problem is new this trip; otherwise I'd have booked elsewhere. Be prepared to make your bed yourself. Establish a bag for trash as there is only one wastebasket and unless you ask or empty it yourself, it will fill up quickly.

The bed was comfortable. The sheets, however, were queen-sized sheets and the bed was a king-sized bed. When I was making the bed up on our last day there, I inadvertantly shifted the mattess. No, not bed bugs, but clear evidence on the box spring that we weren't the only things who'd frequented the beds. I didn't actually see any roaches and I made it a point not to look.

This is not a bed and breakfast. Even on our first four trips, there were no facilities for breakfast although on those stays there was usually coffee off the lobby. There are still a couple of vending machines, I think, but they were out of service on this trip.

This is a place for high school or college students who want to get as many as possible into a room near the beach and who will be out a lot and not noticing much when they're in. It does really have potential, but it needs a lot of attention, a staff dedicated to giving service and building up return business and a good amount of investment and renovation. Up until this trip, I rather enjoyed the quirks (tiny bathrooms, etc.) which were more than balanced out by the view and the proximity to the beach. The time it took to get hot water and the questionable cleanliness make it unlikely we'll return.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2007

All I can say is this place is gross!!!
The place is nothing like the website and my friends and I couldn't even stay there because the hotel was SO dirty.
We walked in and there is a stale musty scent to the place, especialy the rooms.
We got to our room, 3 floors up with no elevator, to find dead bugs on the floor in our bathroom, old dirty socks in the closet from the previous guest and hair on the sheets.
We called the front desk and they finally came up to change the sheets and guess what??? There was hair on the new sheets too!!!!
This place is disgusting, should not be charging over $200 a night and should be shut down by the NJ Health Department.
The only positive comment I have is that they refunded my money without a big fight.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2007

We stayed at this hotel in the beggining of July. Let me tell you it wasnt very pleasent. The most amazing part of it, is that the hotel from the outside looks Great!! When you walk in it just has this nasty smell to it which definitly turned me off right away. As we went upstairs to the room it gets much much worse. The place really is NASTY. We had to get all new sheets because apparantly they were not changed or clean to begin with!!! There were hairs on our bed.... the blankets were old and scuzzy. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a year. Stains all over the walls. Then to top it off we had brought some bread to make sandwiches with and mice got into the bag!! There are mice in the room!!! It is really ashame because Belmar is a beautiful area and people think there going to a decent hotel and it is definitly far from that! People really need to know that this place is absolutly disgusting and not worth the money at all.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
jessicasmith, owner/manager at Belmar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2007

I am sorry for your experience but we really do not recall this matter.we never had mice problem in our hotel.

Reviewed 30 July 2007

This was the most disgusting place I have ever stayed. We paid over $400 for two nights for a room that was to accommodate 4 people. It really was a triple as the pull out couch was the size of a twin bed and probably smaller. This is only for one person. In reality this is not a bed. I would even let my dog sleep on it. The blood stained mattress was paper thin and burns made from cigarettes. I would have slept on the floor but I didn't want to be close to the dirty carpet. The sheets and towels were worn and had holes. We had to ask for new ones each day. The bathroom was so scary. I wore my flip flops in the tiny shower as NOT to touch the filthy floor. Mold, mildew and unidentifiable stains were all over the sink, shower and floor. To me, the place looked like run down crack house! Don't stay here. The only thing that worked was the A/C and that it is close to the beach. But don't let this fool you. Stay somewhere else. Also, check out time is 11am. For every hour after that, there is a $10.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
belmarinn, owner/manager at Belmar Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2007

I am sorry the way you felt about it .but the room that sleeps 4 people is 2 double beds or king bed with pull out sofa.The room costs $209+tax per night which comes to $476 and change with tax for 2 nights. you had a room with king bed with pull out sofa for 4 people and i can assure you that you can comfortably sleep 4 people in there. We just bought the beds 2 years ago. Anyone who reads this review can check anytime that our bathrooms does not have any of these things that is wrote by our guest. The Check inn and check out time are fixed if you stay more you pay more. i guess some people does not want to pay for the services that they want.

Reviewed 30 July 2007

We reserved rooms at the inn for its proximity to the beach - seemed like the perfect location. We got into our room and the bathroom had not been cleaned after its previous guest -- there was hair from someone shaving stuck in the gunk all over the sink. The toilet wouldn't flush and the towels were outrageously dirty. A woman in our group thinks she saw a drug deal occur on the front steps. And we checked out early because there were mice running around our room!! Absolutely disgusting. I can't believe this place is still open.

Stayed: July 2007

I am sorry about the way you felt about our place but we do not have mice's in our hotel. And the people who stays here they pay lots of money to come here so i don't thing there was a drug deal going on in the hotel.If you had this many problems then you should have told front desk to change your room. I guess some people wants to stay in the hotel and don't pay for it thats why they come up with all these excuses, then these people asks for refund. This is outrageous i can't believe there are people like this.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmar
Mayfair Hotel
#6 of 7 in Spring Lake
The Inn At The Shore
The Inn At The Shore
#3 of 7 in Belmar

Been to Belmar Inn? Share your experiences!