“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Ranked #5 of 7 Belmar B&B and Inns
Jersey City, New Jersey
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The owner of the Morning Dove needs to visit a few B&B's to see how guests are to be treated. When I arrived I was disappointed with the grounds first off the bat. Not well kept at all. Then when I entered the living room thru the front door, I am greeted by 2 dogs and a little kid and I had to walk around all the toys on the floor. Not what a B&B is supposed to look like. That was nothing compared to my surprise to find out I didn't have a reservation. (I called and booked in the winter and I called to confirm 3 days prior to the date) Kim said I was good to go. Well.....I wasn't. She wasn't even there. I was dealing with a young girl who had to keep calling her. Kim decided to kick another couple out who was due to arrive and send them some place else (nice of her huh?) and give me a suite on the top floor for $50 more per night than what I booked. She was charging me the upgraded price!!! I said I didn't want to pay more than what I planned on when I made the reservation. She then told me (on the phone since she never showed up) that SHE was doing all SHE could to accommodate ME. Are you kidding??? I left and will never go back. If Kim wants this place to survive, she needs a lesson in how to run a business.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanne T

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Last minute trip to beach looked up this b&b. I called to confirm and left two messages no one called me back called again and thought i had a wrong number because all i got was a a dry "hello" . Hmmmm... alittle worried When i arrived the grounds were unkept the grass over grown and weeds in the garden..hmmmm......a little worried. open the front door and the place was beautiful! I was amazed and hopeing i just got it on a bad day our room was adorable..but still poor customer service issues. Late in the evening the inn keeper, a young girl was running around with a gentleman laughing down stairs and our room was very warm. No window a/c. Only Central air. I heard another guest open her door to the noise and mention the warm temps. She was told to crack her window! Hmmm...the guest book askes we not do this also no screens on a balmy night. The next morning for breakfast there was no cream for coffee. No juice or napkins offered. This could be such a nice establishment. It just needs better service. Also because it was advertised as a spa i wanted to book a massage. Sorry, no massages at this spa!

Room Tip: They were all beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathleen K
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here this weekend. The owner made us feel at home. It is such a peaceful place to stay. Our room faced a lake the views were amazing. The house was very clean and the staff was accommodating to our needs. The breakfast was homemade and was delicious. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brandi B
Ridgefield, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Morning Dove is an oasis by the sea! My husband and I chose to leave another Belmar B&B due to the owners annoying attitude. The Morning Dove is exceptionally clean, calming and hospitable! Breakfast made to you specifications was better than Mom makes! We've made this our DTS place to be from now on!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Robin C
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The place looks abused. The prices were only a guess because we were advised not to rely on the internet web site. Add ons to prices quoted were common. Service was non-existent. The location is very good;however buyer beware,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank marterhen
New Jersey
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The worst night sleep I've had since 9-11. First we were told, over the phone, by the "owner"... That the garden suite was available...she said it was one of their nicest rooms, (I needed to sleep 3 adults, myself and two adult sons). We have owned a beach house for 12 years at the jersey shore prior to hurricane sandy and we know plenty of the b&b establishments along the coast....this is not a b&b...in the true sense of the word. Do not sleep here if u want a peaceful evening rest. The owner has three young kids that run ramped through the house screaming vulgarities until all hours of the night and awaken u at 6 AM. The place should be a setting for animal house...and the owner tries to tell u it's a gods home...oh really? With her kids yelling F words ...gods home? Shame on her. The only nice thing about this place was the parking...but, honestly, I would rather pay a parking ticket and get a good nights sleep than pay to be tortured ...and the air conditioning doesn't work...it's central air and really week. If you can't find a room in Belmar, stay in a nearby town before paying for this place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I consider myself a bed and breakfast aficionado and The Morning Dove Inn is by far my favorite! I was greeted by the warm and welcoming innkeeper Kim. It was beautifully appointed in tranquil shades of aqua. My favorite room is the Kings corner. When you wake up in your super plush comfy cozy king size bed just look to the windows on the right you will see the lake with beautiful elegant swans lazily floating by. If you look straight ahead from your bed you'll see a glittering, sprawling ocean view. I absolutely adored the oversized ball and claw foot tub. What a lovely way to relax at the end of the day!
For breakfast I ordered the Grand Marnier French toast. It was out of this world! And Kim even brought me little samples of the other tasty dishes she was preparing that morning. With my appetite sated and my belly full I retire to the porch in the morning to sip a steaming hot cup of coffee and gaze at the lake and ocean views. Also the sunsets are absolutely spectacular from the front porch!
Other perks and amenities include adorable vintage style bikes to cruise the boardwalk in the early morning, beach towels and chairs and the added bonus of your badge included in the price of your room!
Whenever I need an escape or to de-stress the Morning Dove in is the first place I think of!

Room Tip: The Kings Corner and Where Dreams Come True are my two favorites,
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lesmakeup
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmar
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#2 of 7 in Belmar
Avon Manor Inn
Avon Manor Inn
#3 of 5 in Avon by the Sea

Been to Morning Dove Inn? Share your experiences!