“Rude and inconsiderate Service recieved by the manager named pat and Joe, also saw bed bugs in bathroom....”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Belmar
Reviewed 25 December 2011

The price was awesome and location great, other than that I would have to say that my stay at the mayfair was the most terrible stay that I have ever experienced in my life. The manager Pat was extremely rude and inconsiderate the place is full of elder drunks that are all put up by the state and just crowding the hotel, not to mention my dad came over to pick me up and was told he could not knock on my door to inform me he was waiting down stairs!! Over all it was just a bad experience and would never recommend anyone to stay there unless you are a drunk! I also saw two bed bugs in the bathroom which goes to show if there was one, more are around... Thanks for the time and take my word for it, horrible place to stay a night let alone a week or more. You also share the bathroom with everyone on the same floor as you, gross....

• Stayed: December 2011
14  Thank Foxygirl1691
There are newer reviews for Mayfair Hotel

Reviewed 28 September 2011

Where to start............
My wife booked this place as a "surprise" for a few days at the Jersey shore in September. Its a great time to hit the beach as the kids are back in school, no beach badge fees, parking is easier......

We pulled up later on a Sunday to the property and there was a large contingent of folks outside smoking, talking, all with a coffee cup in hand. Kinda strange since the sun was still out and the beach was right across the street.............but we were tired and hungry.

Checked into the creepy and dirty lobby, did not go up to the room at this point.

We hit a restaurant in the next town over called "Sunsets". Its right on a huge marina, nice outside bar and tables right on the water. Very good food, somewhat pricey, but a great spot. We struck up a conversation with our waitress, asking any other cool spots to eat or check out, and she asked where we staying. When we said on the beach in Belmar, her eyes got big and she said "Not the Mayfair?"

When we said yes, she said to sit tight. She brought over a middle-aged(our age) guy from the bar area. He is a lifelong Belmar resident.

He filled us in briefly about the Mayfair.......how it was a great hotel back in the early part of last century (hard to believe seeing it's current condition). He mentioned that now, while it still keeps its status as a hotel, it acts as a crash pad for people in recovery. He called it a "Sober House".

We mentioned the group of folks hanging around outside and he said that was probably a group of folks attending an AA meeting. Turns out there are meetings all throughout the day in a room in the basement of the "hotel."

He added that there have been folks getting robbed, laptops and cellphones stolen, rooms broken into............etc.

After hearing all this, I was grateful we had not gone up to our room and dropped our luggage.
I said thanks for all the info and I found our waitress and gave her a few more bucks and thanked her profusely for helping us out.

We returned to the Mayfair(no off-street parking by the way) to another large group of folks outside smoking, chatting and drinking coffee.

My wife stayed in the car, and I went in to check out. The lady behind the desk explained that our credit card was already charged for the three nights(just under $ 600.00) and that there was a no refund policy. She also refused to give me back the cash deposit for the SINGLE room key, which I had already handed over to her.

Needless to say a few choice words were exchanged and I went outside to call the cops to lodge a complaint. As I was getting my phone out, a cop was approaching on the main ocean drive and I flagged him down, and explained the situation.

He said there was very little he could do, but was very sympathetic and said he has heard this story many times before. He said the best course of action was to dispute the charges on with my credit card company, and let them go after the Mayfair. He also said to register complaints with the Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce and the town of Belmar.

He recommended we head into the neighboring towns and find a B and B to stay. We headed south into Spring Lake and found a great place right on the ocean which was beautiful, and included a great breakfast. The price was only 3 Dollars more for the entire stay. Money well spent.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with people in AA or any other recovery program, trying to improve their lives and their health. They should be commended for their efforts.

I do however have a huge problem with the Mayfair selling itself as a "quaint ocean-front getaway"............it is not.

Room Tip: Don't....................
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
25  Thank NYCDrums
Reviewed 25 August 2011

old but nice hotel,,,okay rooms,,,no girls wen i stayed ther that sux,,,,, but very nice,,,,a great view of the ocean i stay ther one night a year,,,,,,,,

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank bill g
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Now I went down with some friends for the weekend. I read some reviews before I left so I know i was not going to expect a normal hotel b/c it was a small beach hotel. Well from the moment I walked in I wanted to go run. It is a very old hotel which we were told before we booked and were ok with but there were some things we just didnt understand. The bathroom was in the bedroom...the toliet was in a closet...and the sick was by teh front door. Also I would have liked to know that I needed to leave a cash deposit when I got to the hotel and also a deposit for the room key. And you only get one key per room so dont lose it.
The only 2 positive things about the hotel was the staff was very friends and the pool was nice.

Room Tip: Bring your own towels to take a bath
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank lovestoparty
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I loved The Mayfair. It's for those of us who go to The Shore to be at The Shore. The staff couldn't have been nicer and the shower at the foot of the bed is what it is. A BEACH HOTEL!!! Price for a week in August was wonderful and I'm, going to make my reservation for 10 days this year. If you want to booze it up by the side of a pool somewhere than The Mayfair is not for you. If you want the healing properties of salt watyer and the stress relief of aweek or so on the beach then bkook a room at The Mayfair!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank TMBoyle1
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Great place.Clean ,Quiet,Great location.Right across from the beach.15 min.walk to town.Good staff.On line computer,very clean pool in June through Labor Day.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank tommylindy
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I dont know why people are so hard on this place, from the first phone call u r told its an old fashioned beach hotel..built in the 20's..people what r u expectiong?? the Hilton??NOT AT THESE PRICES!! It is a unique hotel..different in every aspect, but it is not dirty..as for the linens..never had a bad experience, and who comes to any hotel with their own bedding unless ur already expectiong a bad experience..then i'd say dont stay!!!U r always given the option of veiwing the room, at least i always was...as for the staff ..the woman i dealt with was a huge plus to this hotel, shes honest and straight forward and doesnt promise u the taj mahal..she told me and many of the people i recommended exactly what to expect....so Eileen if ur reading this.."CUDOS TO YOU!" Your a sweetheart..I know there are cons to this place..but that is for anyone coming here expectiong something modern and right out of some high class magazine..you need an open mind and free spirit..you come to the mayfair not for the amenities but for the location, price and all around friendly atmosphere..sure it needs a little upgrading but all in all its just fine "FOR A BEACH HOTEL!!!!"and folks..you can go and pay $250.00 a night and look at a highway..and thats for 2!! Or you can spend a mere $115.00 a night and walk across the street and sit on the beach..and actually breathe!! By the way...in that $250.00 a night hotel..you may want to bring a can of bug spray..at the Mayfair..you dont need it as for ants heck i dont know how u can avoid them anywhere....so i dont know if anyone will take this into consideration but dont go to the mayfair looking for a fancy hotel..go there and look at the place as its described by that first call..:AN OLD FASHIONED SEASHORE HOTEL!" I will go back i dont have a problem with the place..BEST OF LUCK MAYFAIR.. AMBER

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank angelamberle_85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmar
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#1 of 7 in Spring Lake
The Inn At The Shore
The Inn At The Shore
#3 of 7 in Belmar

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!