“Horrendous - do not ever stay here. Sleep on the beach!!”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Belmar
Scotland
“Horrendous - do not ever stay here. Sleep on the beach!!”
Reviewed 14 August 2006

This place is absolutely disgusting - do not ever come here. The hotel is horrible, smells bad, the rooms are old and the whole place looks like it may fall down at any time. Jeannie who organises the bookings is the rudest woman I have ever met. We were originally booked in for 5 nights but only stayed for 2 and only because we had no where else to go. I wouldn't even say Belmar as a place is that great. My advice, do not ever come to this hotel - sleep on the beach if you have to instead. Trust me, it's far nicer. This is quite frankly the worst hotel I have ever experienced in my life - it's like a shelter for the homeless. We also got no refund on the nights we didn't stay there - quite frankly they need the money more than I did.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything - the smell was the worst
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not ever go there
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank BD27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 June 2006

This was the absolute worst place I have stayed at. For $175 a night, the place is a dump. When you walk in, you feel like you have entered a haunted house from the 50's and it smells like mothballs. The staff is RUDE RUDE RUDE. You have to put a $5 deposit for one key like you want to steal it! Even worse, you get in the room to find out the "private bath" you were promised is actually a shower that is in the bedroom! You can jump out of the shower and jump right into bed! The toilet is in a tiny alcove which is thank god closed off from the rest of the room. Not to mention the beds were like sleeping on a boxspring, the carpet was about 100 yrs old with stains and there was plywood projecting inward from the window which was the most bizzare of all. To top it all off, the maids stole a $100 from one our luggages (or if it wasn't the maid it was the rude woman at the front desk), we blew a fuse every time we blow dryed our hair and the cable went out! The only good thing about this place was the location although it was quite embarrasing walking out of the hotel b/c the building looked like it was about to collapse. I have no problem staying in cheap hotels with few amenities but this was far worse then I could have ever imagined. I could have dealt with a crappy hotel with a good location had the staff been friendly but they had the worst customer service of all time. You are much better off staying at the Belmar Inn a few blocks away. Friends of ours stayed there and the staff there was very helpful and you actuallly have a real bathroom that is not an extension of the bedroom! It is not luxury but it is a palace compared to the Mayfair!

• Stayed June 2006
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Belmar hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2005

Even though my partner developed flu on arrival and had to stay in bed for 2 days, both the Manager and staff were most helpful.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmar
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#2 of 5 in Wall Township
The Inn At The Shore
The Inn At The Shore
#3 of 7 in Belmar

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!