“Sufficient if you are totally carefree and not picky about appearances”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Belmar
Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Belmar
Haverstraw, New York
“Sufficient if you are totally carefree and not picky about appearances”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Pros:
- The rooms appeared clean. We were worried about bed bugs/roaches because the hotel looked so old and dingy. We inspected the mattresses, closet, bathroom etc and didn't see any bugs. The bedding seemed clean enough, no stains on the sheets. The blanket did have cigarette holes and we decided to sleep without the blanket and just use the sheets. The pillowcases were not white which I thought was weird, but they smelled clean.
-The bed was soft and comfortable.
-The shower had good water pressure.
-Toilet was clean
-Air conditioning was good
-Service was fine. They were helpful but not notably friendly or warm.
-Location is directly across the street from the beach. Very convenient, except that most of the places to eat are 6 blocks on either side of the hotel so we always ended up walking 6 blocks to Dunkin Donuts and back before going to the beach. It was about 1 1/2 miles to the Main street.
-The room had a view of the ocean but I didn't find it that enjoyable because the room was so low quality.

Cons:
- The whole hotel is SUPER old and dingy looking. It has nice architecture but it clearly has not been renovated in decades or possibly centuries...There's peeling wallpaper everywhere, including the room. They really should paint. The lobby was very dark.
-The towels were stained!! There were at least 10 towels in the room and all but 3 had yellow, brown or red stains on them. They were also VERY old. They were all different styles, some white, some blue, some Christmas, some with snowflakes?? I honestly believe that the owner got them from her own home. Many of them were rough and fraying they were so old. We asked for new ones and they gave us newer looking ones but one of those even had stains.
-The bathroom in our room was a tiny tiny closet. I don't know what the walls were made of, some kind of wood composite that they didn't bother to paint.
-No parking lot. I had never been to the Jersey shore for more than a daytrip, and I had no idea what the parking situation is. There is only street parking and if you don't get there before 10 am it can be difficult to find a space. We had to park 6 blocks from the hotel until around 5 so we could move closer to the hotel. We ended up leaving the car 1 block from the hotel. I think they should take out the pool and put in a parking lot for hotel guests.
-No amenities. There was soap, no shampoo or conditioner. No complimentary beach pass.

Weird:
-Creepy old men everywhere. There were always old men sitting on the benches outside the hotel. When waiting to use the computer, there was a man looking at questionable photos of women on it.
-The shower is in the room. A shower curtain hid the shower doors so it wasn't too weird but it still is odd.

Verdict:
The hotel did its job of giving us a place to sleep but it was uncomfortable. The creepy old men made us uncomfortable, as did the dirty towels and dinginess. The dinginess really made us feel unclean even though it seemed clean (we sprayed Lysol everywhere when we first got to the room). The bottom line is that if you're not picky about the way it looks, it's probably okay for you but it is not comparable in quality to any discount chain hotel or motel. I think next time I would pay more for a nicer hotel farther from the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
6 Thank tinery

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Moorestown, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Had listened to the negeative reviews online and not book the room. There were ANTS in that room and due to the contract that locked me into the room I had no choice but to stay and wait for the morning to get out. I took pictures of the bites on my legs and ants on the bed.The staff acknowledged problems with ants in and blamed it on previous guest who may have spilled stuff on the wicker furniture and was apologetic about it. Lesson learned.

"DO NOT" I REPEAT "DO NOT"unless you are desperate and dont mind the ordor and insects. NOT WORTH it!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank PrtLdy

Travellers are raving about these Belmar hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I stayed at the Mayfair Hotel this past weekend for 4th of July. I don't think words can describe how awful this place really is. Here are some of the things my friends and I needed to do while there:
-we brought our own linens/towels and left them there to avoid taking home any nasty germs. the bedding provided had cigarette holes burned through them.
-we had to shower in the community bathroom because our shower had no water pressure and no hot water. In addition, our shower was actually about a foot away from the bed so even if we could have used this shower, we probably wouldn't have because our bed would have gotten wet. We had to have someone stand outside of the shower to hand us toiletries and our towel in order to avoid touching anything.
-we brushed our teeth with bottled water because there was a stench coming from the sink in our room.
-there was no electricity for a good portion of the weekend, which meant no tv and no AC, in addition to walking down the creepy hallways in pitch black.
Basically, this hotel was worse than the worst - STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank awfulplace
uk
Reviewed 6 January 2010

we had the pleasure of staying for christmas and the new year at the mayfair.checking in was good. room was cleaned every day to a high standard and it was lovely and warm. food was fantastic especially new years eve. there was entertainment in the afternoon and evening all very good. staff were all very helpfull and pleasent. it is also quite near to the shopping centre. there is a lovely cafe that is very reasonable. we will certainly go back again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nagalot
jayz00
Reviewed 26 August 2008

this place is awful !!! dirty, old, smelly, the worst ever! we checked out after 1 night! don't ever stay here.........it looks and feels like a crack house!!!

• Liked — zero
  • Disliked — everything!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jayz00
NEW York
Reviewed 28 July 2008

The hotel is ADVENTOURIOUS! If you know to have a good time, relax, and go with the flow ..MAYFAIR is for you! The location is right on the beach! Parking was difficult, but search and you will find.
As soon as I stepped foot into the lobby- I felt like I just walked into a haunted house! Oddly I started to like patch work rugs, the dolls, and the plants! ahhaha, the staff was friendly and at night, the security guard walked our floor, and said "if anyone makes noise or keeps you up, call the front desk" .. amazing!

Take time to walk around, it's like a game of ISPY and laughes.
I don't want to ruin any interesting findings! But this hotel is truly quirky...that you will just love it!

Our room was odd, but it just fit the whole style of the hotel! It's not a FOUR Star hotel and not a chain, but the beds were comfortable, towels and linens were clean, and I had a ocean front room! I would stay here again, truly, a fun adventure!

If you don't have a open mind .. PLEASE don't stay here!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No bar, no food
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sue2000q
NYC,NY
Reviewed 27 July 2008

From the street this hotel reminded me of something from my childhood, like The Colony in Del Ray Beach, Florida. I'm 63 and my parents used to take us there in the 50's. The Mayfair is family run with lots of love and care. Location is perfect. Ceiling fans, our room had ac. Quiet pool with childrens wading pool. Basically price is right, location is best in Belmar. Good hard bed. Comfortable. Good night's sleep. What else do you need?

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank geobam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmar
Empress Hotel
#3 of 7 in Belmar
Tandem Bike Inn
Tandem Bike Inn
#2 of 7 in Belmar

Been to Mayfair Hotel? Share your experiences!