“Stay Away”

East Japanese and Asian Fusion Restau
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Japanese
Reviewed 5 November 2011

I went for dinner tonight with 8 friends. We were seated immediately. Drinks (water in most cases) arrived 15 minutes later and our food order was taken. We brought a bottle of wine which was clearly evident on the table - we were not offered a bottle opener or glasses. We finally asked and four glasses were provided for a table of 9. After 45 minutes and still no food - we complained to the hostess and were told they were very busy. At the 1 hour mark - still no food. Complaints to our waiter (we actually had to flag him down) provided no response. Food started to arrive after about an hour and a half. Dinners came out in groups of two to three with a wait of several minutes in between.
At the two hours mark 8 of the 9 dinners ordered had been served. Salads and appetizers never appeared. The 9th dinner was finally taken to go as everyone else was finished. No apologies were offered - no manager was to be found. No offer was made to comp a portion of the bill for the incredibly lousy service. Rest assured none of our party will ever return there for lunch or dinner and we will certainly spread the news about the poor treatment we received. Be warned.

3  Thank ChristineK992

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Every time I have been to East - my closest local restaurant - since it opened a couple of years back I have had an excellent meal. There is a good selection of dishes in the style of Japan, Vietnam, Korea and China, ingredients are fresh and imaginatively prepared. There's a very good sushi bar. It's BYO. I was sorry to see that the menu which used to be simply organized with clear descriptions is now one of those highly colored lavish plastic numbers, and worse yet there are now big flat screen TV panels in the dining room (there is no bar) but the food is so good that neither these changes nor the often amateruish service prevent my going there often. Some of the young wait staff have limited command of English (example: ordered green tea ice cream, got hot green tea) but they are pleasant, and mistakes get quickly and cheerfully fixed. The place is always busy with couples, groups and families, including people conversing in Oriental languages, which seems to me to be a good sign of authenticity of the dishes. I think East is one of our area's great "secrets" - strongly recommended. My favorites: the pepper tuna appetizer - coconut milk soup - wonderful clam soup.