“Outstanding service”
Review of Bernards Inn

Bernards Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bernardsville
Reviewed 5 September 2012 via mobile

This is one of New Jerseys finest hotels. I still can get over the homeliness I feel when I stay here . The staffs dedication to fine service is the reason my wife and I will be coming back every year for our anniversary. The restaurants food is amazing , you will be impressed.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at the Barnards Inn for a night in August as a part of a birthday celebration at Natirar.
Sometimes with old hotels you don’t know what you will get, but we were delighted with our stay.
The rooms were large by modern standards and sumptuously equipped. Old can mean quirky, but a few creaky floorboards and a sloping bedroom floor probably just add to the charm.
The only meal we ate in there was breakfast and that was excellent both in quality and quantity.
If you, like us, are using this as a base for a weekend away then you must at least have pre-dinner drinks in the bar. Sitting in the elegant piano bar is treat enough, but the cocktail menu is incredible. The jalapeno-infused margarita is one of the most fascinating drinks I have ever tasted.
We will return here without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We got married at The Bernards Inn a year ago today. As a thank you for booking our reception, the Inn gifted us with an "Elegant Evening" anniversary package to be used for a romantic first anniversary getaway--and we took them up on it this weekend! What a wonderful experience to revisit the rooms and bring back memories of our special occasion! Our wedding guests are still raving about the professionalism of the staff, the deliciousness of the food, and the charming qualities of the inn.

Diane Carr, the General Manager (who also oversaw our entire wedding planning) does a great job running the inn and it's staff, but that's what you'd expect from a Garden State Woman of The Year. It is obvious from the moment you take your first step inside the antique revolving door into the cozy, wood accented lobby that everyone who works there takes their jobs seriously and does their best to serve each customer's needs.

For our anniversary retreat, we were brought to a recently-renovated deluxe king suite with a surprisingly spacious bathroom. A huge plate of freshly-dipped chocolate covered strawberries, gourmet fruit basket, and chilled bottle of champagne awaited our arrival. We decided to head downstairs to enjoy a glass of champagne at the library bar before our dinner reservations. It was nice to be able to spend some time to sit and soak in the surroundings, while reminiscing our wedding cocktail hour in that very room.

At dinner, Executive Chef Corey Heyer came out of the kitchen to great us. He remembered that I have special dietary restrictions and worked with me to make sure I'd be happy with my meal. Everything was fabulous!! What a heavenly dinner! My favorite part was his homemade lamb sausage appetizer. It melts in your mouth! You can tell that all the ingredients are of the highest quality. My entree of halibut tasted like it swam onto my plate, it was so fresh and light! My husband was raving about his lobster bisque and steak. The inn even went a step further and surprised us with special anniversary dessert plates. They brought dessert out with candles on each plate and the words "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate. After the meal, we were given a box of handmade chocolate bonbons and a card wishing us a very happy anniversary, signed by all the staff!

In the morning, we were treated to a fabulous gourmet brunch (and I was delighted that the chefs had delicious gluten-free/dairy-free peanut butter pancakes specially made for me).

It was great to be treated to such a decadent overnight stay! Thank you, Bernards Inn, for the royal treatment. We will definitely look for excuses to keep coming back!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I was on a business trip and stayed 2 nights. On the morning of my departure I noticed the shaving head of my expensive electric shaver was missing. I brought it up with the front desk who were kind enough to supply a plastic disposable razor so i could at least be presentable for my meeting. Being in a hurry as I was getting late I asked the manager to follow up with housekeeping and the staff and then email or call me with what they find or any action they take.

It's been over a month and I have not received any communication. While the reason I stayed at this inn was its charm, decor, location etc. the lack of follow up is of concern for a business traveler who is very particular about choice of lodging.

A missing item from a room is an absolute disgrace for such an establishment. For lodging of such reputation I expect safety of belongings at the least. I would recommend staying at this location but please be careful based on my experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Ash K
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We spent three nights at the hotel. Our room was clean and comfortable. The floor creaked and was not level but the room and the entire hotel had character. Plenty of nice paintings and history were in the lobby. We ate at the restaurant and it was excellent. The restaurant was a little pricey but charming with a great wine list and excellent service. We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PH-Travel-Lovers
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My wife and I had a romantic dinner and spent the night in a standard room. This is a cool, old, unique place...certainly not like a chain. We were in the second least expensive type of room and it was fine...not great, but clean, quiet and comfortable. We had no complaints. The staff is friendly and helpful and accommodating. I liked the old feel of the place complete with uneven stairways. It's good for a little romantic getaway.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We had a business meeting at the Bernards Inn. I was shocked when the bellman took my luggage into what looked like a closet. This was my room. No closet for hanging my clothes. A 15" TV. A small desk cluttered with hotel info proudly announcing that "this was the only AAA rated hotel in NJ". No space for doing any work. The bathroom had no space to put my toiletries or shaving kit. The window with a view of rusting air-conditioners on top of the roof or an auto repair shop. The room and the hallways smelled of mildew that made some of the conference participants sick. Those who rated this hotel "AAA" must have not seen any other hotels in their life.

The staff was pleasant and the food in the restaurant was good. The young lady who helped with the conference room was very helpful and courteous.

So, if you are evr in the Bernardsville area, I recommend that you visit the restaurant, enjoy the greetings of the staff but find a room somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Surinder K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bernardsville
Westminster Hotel
#3 of 4 in Basking Ridge
Dolce Basking Ridge
Dolce Basking Ridge
#1 of 4 in Basking Ridge

Been to Bernards Inn? Share your experiences!